Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my friend who has a 1994 Acura Legend just got his driver side door banged in by someone. He went to an auto repair shop and they told him that it would cost $2500 to make it look nice again (i.e. purchase a whole door door panel). I told him that I might be able to bang the dent back out, so that it wouldn't look as bad since he DOES NOT want to spend that much money to get it fixed. So here comes the question. If I remove the driver side door panel, would I be able to gain access to the actual steel door? If so, how do I go about removing the door panel? Are there instructions guides out there to remove door panels? Please let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
virtualbong said:
Hi, my friend who has a 1994 Acura Legend just got his driver side door banged in by someone. He went to an auto repair shop and they told him that it would cost $2500 to make it look nice again (i.e. purchase a whole door door panel). I told him that I might be able to bang the dent back out, so that it wouldn't look as bad since he DOES NOT want to spend that much money to get it fixed. So here comes the question. If I remove the driver side door panel, would I be able to gain access to the actual steel door? If so, how do I go about removing the door panel? Are there instructions guides out there to remove door panels? Please let me know, thanks!
Koji_H's LegendTuner has instructions to remove the door panels. I think it's under the repair sections, check it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
KentuckyLegend said:
Get the Helm service manual!
If he had the Helm's manual he wouldn't need to ask. So that comment serves no good t him, especially if he asked for his friend.

behind the door latch there's a peice of plastic that can be pryed off and two screws in there. Below the doo handle there are two screws that needs to be taken off. then just snap the outer perimeter off by pulling it out with your hands.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There are auto repair shops that do this.
My friend got his Accord done here in TO for $250.
All door-dings (about 6) are gone and they buffed the paint, so you can't see that there was ever a problem.

Call around and see if you can save yourself some trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey don't worry about it KentuckyLegend, I'm on an Integra site and people always get bashed by the whole "Get the Helms Manual" thing, so I should of known better, but like I said, I'm doing this for a friend so I wanted to get the info quick w/out any expenses to me. Thanks White Legend for the link, I'll take a look at it and see what I can do. Thanks legend man for the quick tip on removal of the panels. It seems easy enough, so I'll give it a whirl. Oh and Spiff, I think my friend said that it just wasn't little door dings, but an actual car bumping in to his side and leaving a major dent. The F'er did it in a parking lot and drove off when my friend was in the store. But I'll tell my friend to keep on looking if I can't repair it myself (or at least make it not look so bad). Well, thanks again guys for the help!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The repair is dependent upon the extent (depth) of the damage. The door consists of an outer panel and a shell. The outer panel alone can be ordered and installed. If the damage has damaged the track or the intrusion bar, it would be best to install a used OEM door which should be sold with everything except the inner door panel/switches.

A NEW OEM front door shell used to list for $456.97. The repair outer panel: $245.66. It takes longer to install the panel than the shell due to welding, sealing, refinishing. Check www.car-part.com for a used OEM door.

Removing the inner door panel will not provide access to all areas of the door. That is why there are picks and stud guns. You have to know how to repair the dent which may have resulted in a creased panel. It is usually easier to just reskin the door.

The removal of the outer panel is not difficult; only a couple of welds and using a grinder to remove the perimeter edge of the panel. The difficult part is the install requiring a welder, and some level of expertise to fold over the edges of the new panel without damaging the panel.

$2,500.....Pull the other one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Below the doo handle there are two screws that needs to be taken off. then just snap the outer perimeter off by pulling it out with your hands.
I don't know about you guys but I sure wouldn't want to touch a "doo handle"!:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
wyolegend said:

I don't know about you guys but I sure wouldn't want to touch a "doo handle"!:D
you're stupid.:D

·
Registered
972 Posts
Talking about door panels, I tried to remove mine but was unsuccessful, even after looking at the manual.
Is the door handle assembly supposed to come out first, or the entire top of the door pannel, and then the bottom one?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The whole thing should come out together. Just take out all of the screws.

Pop out the bottom portion of the door panel first, and then push the top half(black lining) up and then pull towards you. Dont Yank too far yet cause there are a bunch of wires that are still connected from the door to the door panel. Then just disconnect the wires or do whatever you need to do. Good Luck.

·
Registered
972 Posts
GreenLegend said:
Pop out the bottom portion of the door panel first, and then push the top half(black lining) up and then pull towards you. Dont Yank too far yet cause there are a bunch of wires that are still connected from the door to the door panel. Then just disconnect the wires or do whatever you need to do. Good Luck.
What is actually holding the bottom portion? is it the two screws in the handle or what?

·
Registered
125 Posts
:)

There should be a couple of screws under the arm rest as well.

Edit: Oops I think thats what you just said. But there are the ones in the door handle behind the little plastic piece and the ones under the arm rest. If I remember right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts