Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been 2 days now ....

I just spent $ 588 for a new alternator after it gave out, the battery drained and the car lost power and just died in rush hour traffic and had to be towed during a snow storm ! This is the top of the line Cadillac, with 70,000 miles !

· Registered
9,369 Posts
Stu said:
its been 2 days now ....

I just spent $ 588 for a new alternator after it gave out, the battery drained and the car lost power and just died in rush hour traffic and had to be towed during a snow storm ! This is the top of the line Cadillac, with 70,000 miles !
The STS is not the top of the line Cady. The Deville is. The STS was thier attempt to capture some of the market from BMW with better performance. Those things are junk.
Later!
Lee

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
You guys think the Legend is a head gasket hell car, just wait until you get wraped up in a northstar BHG. Most shops won't touch them. I won't touch one. They are a wet sleeved engine and it requires certian very critical steps to be taken to get the cylinder bores to seal correctly. Our local Cadi dealer only does swaps for a BHG. They won't fix it. A reman is around $5k.

They also have the same old GM problems with the Dex-Cool related nylon gasket failure. Evap problems are a PITA. Also the damn starter is under the intake manafold.

This is all I got to say to these engineers

· Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The 300 hp is fun the seats are comfy and its getting 10 mpg in the city.
The Bose radio is not as good as the Legends

No wonder GM is getting its butt kicked .... this was a $ 58,000 car in Canada when it was new, and 9 years later with 70,000 miles its worth maybe $ 7,000 ?????
ha ha ha

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
Its that way for all the domestics. If they don't get their lazy a$$es in gear then they are going to be left behind.

The stuff with the GM is nothing compared to how bad Chrysler annoys me. I just put a new engine in a 2003 Sebring w/ 57k miles. The cause for the failure of the origional engine was that the "all so thoughtful engineers" decided to make a timing chain driven waterpump. This concept works very well for timing belt motors, but not so well for timing chain motors because the tension on timing chains are so much tighter that they put too much stress on the undersized needle bearings causing them to fail too early. When they fail they start to leak. All the coolant just dripps into the crank case (yes timing chain motors require oil on the chain, so they are enclosed inside the crank case) filling the oil with water. And while driving with the leak before you know it your radiator is half way empty and your crankcase is filled with a gallon of coolant and 4 qts of oil. All the water in the oil removes the ability of the oil to lubricate the bearing surfaces causing major damage.

Another thing about this, Chrysler has no maintenance schedule for waterpump replacement on this car. Needless to say there is supposed to be a class action suit somewhere on the internet where owners are pissed that chrysler does nothing with this problem...

Some of my co-workers and I want to start our own thing called MADE. It stands for Mechanics Against Damn Engineers.

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
some please move this post out of the 2nd generation forum..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.