Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember we covered this on the old forum (the really old forum) and was wondering if anyone is currently driving without the cover? The intake on this engine sounds incredible and I really like having the cover off, but I'm worried that it may be hurting the engine in some way (maybe some debris coming into engine or it somehow negatively effecting power,etc).

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Just as long as the filter is properly clipped into the stock intake nothing will happen b/c the air is still being filtered. I ran my car with/out the cover for about a month or two before getting my intake.

Esti

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Esti:

I know laws are diffrent over in NY, but can I get written up for the intake that I made myself? I'm over in CA, it's a half tricked intake, but no CARB EO #. Can I get written up for that if po-po wanna take a peek under the hood?

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Well in Ny there isn't any vehicle and traffic regarding intakes. In NY we have to get the vehicles inspected for emissions and safety. Just as long as it passes emissions levels there's no problem.

I really don't know much about california laws. But from what I heard, from the cali guys, is that they are really strict with prohibiting vehicle modifications. I remember someone saying that the intake has to have some sort certification to be approved in cali.

Sorry I can't be more helpful
Esti

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was wondering about how taking the filter box cover off effects anything (besides the legend's "growl"), so I guess this would be the time to ask.

Doesn't the current opening of the stock air intake place itself in an area *away* from the engine (in the corner of the engine bay behind the battery), thereby drawing (significantly?) cooler air? Just wondering since the air box is located right next to the cams and lots-o-hot stuff, thus taking in hotter air if you were to remove the cover.

If one is concerned about preserving the performance of the engine, could I assume keeping the cover on the better alternative?:confused:

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I guess you have to figure out which decreases performance the most- the restrictive nature of the stock intake or the temp of the air in the bay.

·
Registered
689 Posts
any opinions?

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
C25A1guy said:
Esti:

I know laws are diffrent over in NY, but can I get written up for the intake that I made myself? I'm over in CA, it's a half tricked intake, but no CARB EO #. Can I get written up for that if po-po wanna take a peek under the hood?
you'll get a fix-it ticket
but what cop looks under the hood of a legend?

·
Registered
400 Posts
i ran my old 87 with the airintake cover off and i dont believe that it hurts the engine at all. it does sound sweet, so i still have it off. i love that rumble when u floor it. the only set back i think is that it sucks in all of the warm air from inside the engine compartment. but i never noticed any setbacks, its only louder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The OEM "snorkel" prevents water from entering the engine through the air filter intake.

In theory, a splash of water could cover an "exposed" filter and make it's way into the engine.... with fatal results.

Rare, but something to think about.

·
Registered
685 Posts
you know I really never knew that removing the cover to the intake would do anything, but after reading this thread, I did, mmmmaaaaaaaaaannnnn I love that rumble, it kiks major king sized gargantuan A$$. now alls I have to do its watch out for heavy rain. getting my intake pretty soon, does it sound anything like the engine w/o intake cover? (it's a Dragon)

·
Registered
347 Posts
airbox cover off

I ran with the cover off for a while and did a few tests with a stopwatch cos I was sure I was getting few gains, more deficits.

basically, if it was cold (< 20 degrees C) I noticed a little more top end power, (bugger all), and a slight drop in low end torque. so on 0-100 this was pretty much the same box on box off, from a standing stop, with 3/4 throttle off the line then flooring upto redline.

Obviously when the variable intake opens all the way up at 3500-odd revs (cant remember), the sound and the power advantage seemed to be at their best.

If it was hot (australia >35 degrees C) there was a performance drop, a lot more lag on accel from standing stop (I think because there is no movement of air inside the hood so when you put your foot down you are sucking in a bolus of v hot air). The difference in 0-100 times was in the order of 0.2 sec from memory.

Overall, the sound was great when I was in the mood to open her up, but when I did I generally got bummed out by the fact that once the car was up to operating temp and I could safely take it to redline, I lost most of the advantage dur to heat.

I think the airbox off option gives you a great sound, but the only real performance option is an aftermarket intake, and with the heat we get over here it is going to have to be CAI.

sorry for long post

rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts