Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, this weekend i drove my friends 03 TL, not type S but still the thing took off, it feels way faster then my legend, well I know its brand new, but it seriously feels like it can really woop it, ive heard the quality on them isnt that good, but it seemed fine to me. Im thinking about getting one after college, seems nice, Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Nile Legend said:
Hey Guys, this weekend i drove my friends 03 TL, not type S but still the thing took off, it feels way faster then my legend, well I know its brand new, but it seriously feels like it can really woop it, ive heard the quality on them isnt that good, but it seemed fine to me. Im thinking about getting one after college, seems nice, Any thoughts?
Legends never die.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I think that TLs are pretty nice cars for the price, though it has a reputation of being poorly built (something that it has lived up to).

As far as speed. I'm not too familliar with the specs, but I believe that the TL puts out 225 hp stock, so yeah, it will probably pull on the Legend stock.

That said, I know of a modded (intake, exhaust, chip) GS 6-speed that whooped the ass of a brand new CL-S, I believe it was three times in a row.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Legend type I has 202HP and 210 torque
Legend GS has 230HP and 206 torque
TL has 225HP and 216 torque

So, in all probability TL might beat Legend but I still love my Legend!!

And like Mr Jose said, "Legends never die"!!!

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
otterizer said:
how are TL's built poorly?
"Domestic" import..
the g2 TL's and CL's are having tranny issues....for info on this peruse the TL Forum

Hopefully, this new 6 speed can breathe life into that segment.
And again, there is no styling like that of the LEgend...unless its a new S600, M3 or M5.

BTW, I raced a CL-S in my stock sedan and surprised him on the highway....

·
Registered
653 Posts
ILOVELEGEND said:
Legend type I has 202HP and 210 torque
Legend GS has 230HP and 206 torque
TL has 225HP and 216 torque

So, in all probability TL might beat Legend but I still love my Legend!!

And like Mr Jose said, "Legends never die"!!!
We dont have V-TEC to help us out like all the new cars have. Imagine, if we had V-TEC, we would kill them all!!!.... oh Btw can you fit a Type S head onto a Legend block and get some mean creation hybrid?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
A TL is a very plush car, but I'll tell you why I don't like them:

Built in USA... and built cheaply at that...

It's an expensive Accord - that's it... no engineering differences that REALLY matter (Yes, I am aware that it LOOKS different, but it's still an Accord...)

The Legend was built on a platoform all its own, and will continue to withstand the tests of time (with proper maintenance!)... ask anyone who's seen my Coupe... it looks and runs as alsmost brand new... and that's due to superior design with a little help from owner maintenance...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quality issues? Acura cars are still some of the best made in the world... Yes it is based off of the Accord platform, but when you see that a TL with 25 extra horses, standard 16" wheels, more space, and other luxury accoutroment costs only a few thousand dollars more than a loaded Accord, you realize how much of a deal the TL really is. Upgrade to the Type-S for a couple grand more and the deal becomes even sweeter. Besides, they said the same thing about our Legends when they came out, and they cost $10G's more than a TL costs NOW.

As for the TL being faster..you would think it would be considering Acura has had over 10 years to beat its own design!

Honestly I don't understand why people talk so poorly about new Acuras...They are good looking (except for the CL, boring!), fast, luxurious and affordable. I'm proud to own a car from that bloodline, as I feel they represent the best value in the market, new or used.

my dos pesos

j520

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
310 Posts
CL and TL are made in the US

Most cars made in US have serious quality issues. Only the RL and NSX is still made in Japan. I have a friend that has a CL-S that he only had for a yr before his engine and electrical system shutdown on him while he was going 65mph on the freeway. It freaked the hell out of b/c he was just rolling off the exit ramp to a dead stop. Also he said that other CL owners say it's somewhat a frequent occurance. Only Mod he has are CAI and a header. Granted it's fast, b/c he's like pushing 300+hp or something off the line, but I don't think they pull as much in the high end as our Legends.

·
Follow Me
1,271 Posts
Second that Leon

Man I think owning a Legend should be mandatory for every person who gets a driver's license. THen you step up to the m3 and the M5. Great cars, BUT my heart is pumping legend till I died! OR get a Ferrari! HEHE!

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
otterizer said:
how are TL's built poorly? [/QUOTE

Yeah, Like Leon said, "Poor Trannys"

I was at my dealer standing outside and this guy was getting his '02 TL tranny replaced and he look at my coupe then looked at me, then look at the service manager and said, "thats what I should have bought when i had the chane." Refering to my G2 Cpe. I smiled at him.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
Funny, I just came from Baranco Acura, and as I pulled into the service department area, there were two nice ladies outside...one lady pointed at my car and said oh my, that is a VERY NICE car and was cheesing. She was looking at a 03 CL-S when I pulled up...and stayed there gazing when I went inside. I waved and she was like wow. :D

I do not hate Acura, just wish they would uphold the legacy that the old Honda had. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well they could talk about our radiators, rear tranny mounts, NVH problems, blown head gaskets, etc...

Whenever you drive a finely tuned machine there are a lot of things that can go wrong with it. If you want a perfect car, I hear the build quality for Civics is top-notch. What would you prefer?

Later,
J520

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
jason520 said:
Well they could talk about our radiators, rear tranny mounts, NVH problems, blown head gaskets, etc...

Whenever you drive a finely tuned machine there are a lot of things that can go wrong with it. If you want a perfect car, I hear the build quality for Civics is top-notch. What would you prefer?

Later,
J520
yeah, I kinda agree with you. The Legend is not the most reliable car out there. It's got a lot of common problems like the ones you stated. Repaires are also extremely costly for a used car. I've had to replace the rear tranny mounts twice already, I only had the car for 3 years. I've already poured thousands into repairs.

If I were to go back in time, would I still have gotten the Legend? ABSOLUTELY! I loved the G2 legend ever since it first came out, I've always wanted one.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I don't think that the argument is of the TL's value for money. It's a nice car, with great specs.

Comparing the breaking of items like the radiator and stuff is actually quite different in that these things eventually broke from extended wear (with the exception of possibly the transmission mount).

The issue with the TL and CL is that rather major/costly repairs (including paint) started being neccessary very early in its life.

Remember, the oldest TL is still newer than the newest Legend, and the G2s go back 11 years.

Personally, if I was looking for a car in that price range, and if all of the major kinks were worked out of them, the TL would be a contender. It is a nice car for the $, but the question of quality still hangs on its head.

No question that it's a nice entry-level luxury sedan with promise.

That aside, I don't think that the issue is with just the newer Acuras. It's Honda. Honda used to be an innovator; a leader. Now, since Soichiro Honda passed away in 1991, the paths that Honda has taken in its consumer lines seem watered down, and the "spirit" of Honda lacking.

Right now, I see Nissan as possibly filling the space that Honda seems to have left vacant.

But of course, that's just two cents worth of thought. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nissan cars are good, but never use to be as good as Hondas back in the G2 days, I think Toyota's are still awesome cars today, maybe they will be the next big contender?!?!

·
Registered
299 Posts
That aside, I don't think that the issue is with just the newer Acuras. It's Honda. Honda used to be an innovator; a leader. Now, since Soichiro Honda passed away in 1991, the paths that Honda has taken in its consumer lines seem watered down, and the "spirit" of Honda lacking.
I totally agree with you, man! I had no idea that it was that recent that the founder died. He probably had his hands in a lot of projects that didn't see fruition till the mid to late nineties which is when I thought Honda started to suck a bit.

Good insight though, thanks for that piece of info.

j520

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
For us long time Acura owners who had them in our family since the late 80s and early 90s, I think you can see where we are coming from. The new Acura cars are no where near what it used to be back then. The TL is still a nice car and I still would consider it, but it is not IMHO as well engineered as the early Acura cars. Take for example the fit and finish. It doesn't compare to the years before. Also, how about the paint? Before Acura used to use a 4 coat base and 4 coat clear on the Legend. Only the RL and NSX currently have a 5 coat base and 4 coat clear. The other Acura cars use 1 or 2 coat paint only. Read the earlier posts on the Acura Cl and TL forums and you hear stories of easily chipping paint, and the worse case is of those who spilled a little bit of gas while filling up only to have the paint in the gas tank area literally wash away with the gas. Now I know gas is bad for the paint, but even the older Acuras you could spill some and not have a problem unless you left it there for a while. Also, the solenoid on the vaiable intake system has had problematic failures, there is rumored to be a failing part in the new trans that is causing all the tranny failures (although this part is only a rumor so far) sunroof rattles (although fixable at the dealer), seat backs poping off the back of the front seats, various trims that are easily snapped off, and so forth.

Now keep in mind, I fully am impreased with the amount of standard features that Acura packs into the new cars for the price, but I personally would have rather spend $5K-$10K more and have Acura NOT cut any corners like they did to keep the price down.

Many uf us have had the Legend and Integra since the G1 of the late 80s in our families, and it is obvious to us that Acura has slowly went down hill and started cutting corners over the years. Yes, even as a current G2 Legend Coupe owner, I have to agree that thge G1 Legend is still much more over engineered than the G2. The G3 Integra started a downward trend. Even a friend who owned one commented that he liked the G2 Integra interior better, as the G3 felt cheaper.

jason520 said:
Quality issues? Acura cars are still some of the best made in the world... Yes it is based off of the Accord platform, but when you see that a TL with 25 extra horses, standard 16" wheels, more space, and other luxury accoutroment costs only a few thousand dollars more than a loaded Accord, you realize how much of a deal the TL really is. Upgrade to the Type-S for a couple grand more and the deal becomes even sweeter. Besides, they said the same thing about our Legends when they came out, and they cost $10G's more than a TL costs NOW.

As for the TL being faster..you would think it would be considering Acura has had over 10 years to beat its own design!

Honestly I don't understand why people talk so poorly about new Acuras...They are good looking (except for the CL, boring!), fast, luxurious and affordable. I'm proud to own a car from that bloodline, as I feel they represent the best value in the market, new or used.

my dos pesos

j520

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
LegendGS said:

I agree as well. Remember the days when Acura's motto was "Precision Crafted Performance"? Now all you hear is "Good bang for the buck." Honda has lost its vision. It's too bad. Honda and Acuras have been in my family for a long time. We have had a 79 Accord hatch, an 81 Accord hatch, an 85 Civic 4 door, an 88 Prelude Si, an 88 Accord hatch, a 90 Accord Coupe, a 90 Integra LS, a 91 Integra LS, a 91 Legene Coupe L, a 93 Legend Coupe LS 6-Speed, an a 95 Legend LS Coupe auto. Reletives of ours included an 87 Legend LS Coupe, a n 86 CRX, a 91 Civic, and various others that I can't recall.

I though I would always be loyal to Honda/Acura, but unless Acura comes out with someting worth while, it is off to Lexus for me. The only Acura I would buy currently is the NSX which I am still attempting to obtain. I would still buy Honda since they are good for what they are, but their Acura division has nothing left to buy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.