Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I have used Earthlink DSL. I am now using a Comcast Cable modem (same thing as road runner). My mother also has a Newnan Utilities Cable modem ( same as road runner). I have not used the Direct tv DSL yet. I am getting it once my house if done. I do know that the DSL usually maintained a higher speed that any cable modem. I can usually download at 200Kbps, which is pretty fast. But, like all cable modems, it lags a lot and even loses it connection about daily. From what I understand the Direct tv DSL doesn't lag, but if the dish isn't installed right you could have a lot of problems. It can also be slowed down by rain. Just what I know!
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would go cable dude, 'cause my mp3 downloads are faster compared to DSL....but thats my opinion.. Good Luck in your choice.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I like DSL

DSL have a stable banwidth depending on which one you get.
Sdsl is great.

If all you do is download and surf then Cable would be good and it is cheaper.

I have servers etc. So Right now I need to get rid of me cable and go to DSL

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It depends how far away u are from your CO, find out how far u are from the respective one, whichever your closer to DSL or Cable go with that one, heres the break down the farther u are from your CO with DSL the slower your throughput, cable doesn't matter as much BUT since it on the cable line your experiance slower surfing the more people get onto that cable line, wheather it's for t.v or for surfing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the opinions. I'll probably gonna go with RR even though their customer service sucks. They have the first three months at 9.99. so that's pretty cool...

and i think i can get free cable so i heard. just split the cable lines one to the computer and one to another t.v. and you should have analog cable for t.v. any of you guys with cable tried this yet? i think you might need a descrambler as well..i'm not sure...but let me what what ya think...

G

·
I have Verizon 1.5/384 ADSL, and I love it. A company called Solutions Pro is my ISP. Everything is super easy, never have any problems, its always on, and fast.... not much more that you could ask for; except for FASTER :D.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I have been on both, Cable and DSL.

Cable is generally faster, however, it FLUCTUATES in speed, some hours your faster, some hours your slower. Data is not a nice stream, it's like chunks of data coming through. It has higher burst rates.

DSL, is stable, solid, and never fluctuates, however, the speed you get, depends on how far you are from the Central Office. You will always get that speed after which.

For general downloading and browsing, Cable is more cost effective. If you're going to do gaming, and need something more stable, go for DSL. Lower latency ping rates, and data that don't fluctuate. Definately much more stable.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well Direct TV DSL and phone company DSL is different. DTV DSL is that you send info through your phone lines and your info is downloaded to your sat. phone DSL is using regular copper/fiber optics. BUT, if I were u, I'd get DSL. sure, cable is therotically faster (faster than ADSL, DDSL but not SDSL) but DSL has LOWER ping times. So if you play online games, get DSL.

·
Registered
193 Posts
btw, and you share cable, with your neighbors. you share the bandwidth.... so get DSL. Cause I hate sharing, its all about GREED! lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use DSL at my office and Cable at my house

I have had each for about 2 years. And they are both running on pretty much the same comp. If I had to choose 1 it would be Cable. I just seem to get faster downloads with cable for some reason.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Gotta be cable. I have Comcast Cable and I love it. People I work with have DSL and they have nothing really great to say about it. And I agree, downloading music is fast with cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.