Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a Legend story but a racing story none the less. I was heading East on I-90 down the stretch from Factoria to Issaquah (you Seattle boys know what I'm talking about). I was enjoying the warm evening (they are rare around here) by going for a ride on my yellow Ducati 996, weaving through traffic mildly. I finally broke through the mess and saw a large opening of about 3 football fields where one car was cruising down the middle lane, and then no cars in the distance beyond it. Couldn't tell what it was at this point.

I was feeling good and decided what the hell and dropped two gears, ducking my head below the windscreen. The Duke pulls hard around 9,000rpm so I came up to about 115 in a few seconds. Pure bliss. Then as I approached the left side of this distant vehicle I realized that it was a beautifully detailed black NSX! I grabbed a handful of brakes and came up next to his drivers-side window. The rpms came down to about 3,500 rpm which is the sweet spot for my air/fuel mixuture. Basically at this rmp if I lightly tap the throttle the Duke blows just over a foot of flame out the dual underseat exaust combined with a sharp "pop". I try to put on a show whenever I can ;) I looked over grinning at the driver who obviously coudn't see me through my helmet.

He kinda looked over at the passenger. No response yet. I couldn't see much because he had a light tint on his windows, so I looked forward again to check my area and the road ahead. Then all of a sudden I hear that NSX wailing next to me. The dude dropped two gears and launched with a fury! But I was ready. I juped into action and dropped three gears and tucked behind the windscreen again. The front-end pulled up slightly as I bombed by him, never looking back.

I took the Issaquah exit which has two lanes on the offramp. I stopped in the left lane and opened my visor, waiting for him to approach. And this is the best part, he had his window rolled down and he and his wife were smiling and waving at me! I gave my usual peace sign and waited for the light to turn. What an awsome race. All in good fun, and we both knew it.

After the NSX turned off I was still waiting for the light to turn when yellow Dodge Viper GTS blew through the intersection! But by the time the freakin light changed I had lost him in the city. Too bad. Could've had two dream car races in one day ;)

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently went to a dyno challenge here in Seattle where I got a chance to put my own bike on the dyno and see about 50 others do the same. The Busa has a chip that drastically undercuts it's power from the factory. They were only putting out around 153rwhp. The ZX12's put up consistant numbers of 163rwhp. But everybody said the dyno was putting up really conservative numbers that day. And since it was free we didn't get any torque measurements which is very important.

But either way it doesn't make the the ZX12 'quicker' in a 1/4 mile run. It does however make it 'faster' as far as top speed is concerned. A busa w/ the limiter removed will push 200mph from the factory. An R1 from the factory will hit 180mph on a good day. My buddies R1 put out 118rwhp, but it would still be a close race between him and a ZX12 in a 1/4 mile run. You can only accelerate so fast with these bikes because the front-end comes up. The R1 is known to pull wheelies in the first three gears, making any timed runs difficult. It's scary, and I know from first hand experience.

Who is 'faster' would be the Busa because it's geared higher. Who is 'qucker' would be the ZX12 because it is much lighter and geared much lower. The ZX12's gearing is set up to keep the power band tight on the race track.

Hell, my Ducati is only rated at 163mph because you don't ever need to go that fast on a race track. It doesn't run out of power by any means. It runs out of gears. Most courses keep speeds below 100mph, except for the isle of man where the unlimited superbikes have an 'average' speed of 126mph! They top out around 170mph on the backside of the island. Now those guys are crazy!

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need aftermarket fuel pump

RICDOGG said:
have you timed any NOS runs?
One the Duke or on the Legend? I'm assuming the Legend, and no I haven't. I installed a fuel cutoff swith to the fuel system that shuts it down when it goes below 40psi. This is necessary because the NOS takes control of the fuel regulator, cranking the fuel up to protect the motor from harm when the NOS is running. Well, needless to say it was a smart move because I lose pressure around 4,000rpm, which shuts down the NOS. So I've never been able to use it to redline.

To fix this I need a more powerful fuel pump or an inline booster. I want a new aftermarket pump, but I haven't been able to find one yet. Nobody makes one. I think I'm screwed.

But as a side note there was a R1 at the dyno challenge with NOS! I've got pics. He put out approx 120rwhp stock, and 163.5rwhp with the NOS running! Nice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I love Ducatis! Pure race bike. A few questions for ya...is the seating cramped or uncomfortable? I've also heard that you really feel the heat from the engine. Any truth to that?

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shad_93LSCoupe said:
I love Ducatis! Pure race bike. A few questions for ya...is the seating cramped or uncomfortable? I've also heard that you really feel the heat from the engine. Any truth to that?
The seat is comparable to other superbikes in its class....horrible. The seating position is also very similar to the R1....horrible. You have to lean really far forward, and it puts a lot of pressure on your wrists. Mine get really sore if I ride all day, but I broke them when I was in high school and the've never been the same. But it's a race bike, it wasn't made for comfort, it was made to go fast. I have a Corbin seat that helps a bit, but I still can't ride it more than two solid hours before having to take a 15min break at a park or something. Also the added thickness of the Corbin seat makes it so that you can't fold the tail all the way up for access to the tool kit. But who cares. It handles like a dream. If I wanted comfort I would have gotten a VFR or something less sporty. When I get old and my back gives out I'll probably have to get a Harley. But that day is not yet near.

The heat is in fact a big issue that I wasn't prepared for. Originally when I picked up the bike it had header wrap on all the pipes, because the guy that had it before me lived in Las Vegas where it is already blazing hot. I took it off the first week because it looked crappy and is not a good idea for a street bike. The wrap holds in moisture and could cause corrosion. Not good, especially here in Seattle. Performance wise it won't do any good anyways unless your running over 7,000rpm for extended periods of time. But I can understand why he did it. The two exaust pipes run right next to your right leg and get extremely hot. It's almost unbearable in traffic. I found that riding boots help tremendously. I wouldn't ride without them if I could help it. Jeans are also a requirement if you value your leg hair, and skin for that matter if you fall. The stock pipes aren't nearly as bad, but I've got oversize Feracci 42mm pipes that are much thinner. The chip they came with also dumps a lot more fuel into the mix causing flame to pop out the exaust now and then. That can't help the situation either.

All in all these things give the machine character that I wouldn't trade for anything. The bike has such sexy lines that it doesn't need gaudy graphics to make it look good. It was designed by the same guy that drew the Agusta MV. Very timeless. Single sided swingarm, underseat exaust, a fat 190 rear tire, and a projector headlight. The big bore V-Twin rumbles so deep that it rattles my garage doors when it's idling outside. You can feel it in your chest, and in fact your whole body when your riding. It just sounds pissed off all the time. Set's off a lot of car alarms too. You think it's a harley coming, but no, its an Italian Stallion (sorry, had to say it) baby, going to kick your ass. I love it. I get so many looks when I ride it. Total strangers always ask me about it and give me props. I meet a lot of people who don't even know anything about bikes but come and talk to me about it. Yamaha can take its R1 and shove it you know where as far as I'm concerned ;) The experience of riding a Ducati is everything I hoped it would be and more. So if you have the money then I would def. recommend getting one. It's the Ferrari of motorcycles.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dang! Quite the description! I'm with you! I've always loved the Duke...the 996 and now the 998. Except I don't have the money for it. I had a CBR 600F2 a few years ago, and I loved it. It almost sucks to get back into a car because the performance is sooo much better on a bike.

I was thinking of getting the R1 actually as soon as my car is paid off. Have you ever ridden it? I know it can't compare to the Ducati, but I've heard it's a great bike.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good bike for sure

Shad_93LSCoupe said:
Dang! Quite the description! I'm with you! I've always loved the Duke...the 996 and now the 998. Except I don't have the money for it. I had a CBR 600F2 a few years ago, and I loved it. It almost sucks to get back into a car because the performance is sooo much better on a bike.

I was thinking of getting the R1 actually as soon as my car is paid off. Have you ever ridden it? I know it can't compare to the Ducati, but I've heard it's a great bike.
Funny you ask because I've owned all of the above bikes at one time or another. I actually sold my CBR 600F2 as a down payment on my Ducati. I loved that bike, it was a blast to ride because you can get on the throttle hard without worrying about bringing the front up or breaking the rear tire loose. Handled good too because of the narrow rear tire.

The R1 is a beast for sure. Really scary at high rpm's. My buddy still owns one and we trade bikes once in a while for fun. That bike is a completely different riding experience. The riding position is very similar to the Duke, but the passenger seat is much worse off than the Ducati (so says the girls I've ridden with). I think the best comparison of a R1 to a Ducati would be like a NSX to a Viper. The R1's motor is very smooth and precise and the suspension is very fluid. It can bark a little with an aftermarket pipe, but not much. The Duke's motor rumbles and rattles (mostly the gearbox actually because it has a dry clutch where most other bikes have a wet system). The Duke suspension is stiffer from the factory. Although we made adjustments to his R1 to make it ride rougher (compromise for quicker handling, and better response).

In-line fours are just smooth by nature. The R1 tank is very wide compared to the Ducati. This is because of the engine layout. The inline four setup is much wider than a V-Twin setup. Makes the bike feel really fat between your legs. I don't like the tank on the '99 and older models though because the filler area jams up into my ribs when I tuck behind the fairing. The newer models however don't have that problem. The tank was smoothed down. Overall the R1 is a very sharp looking machine. The blue paint scheme is georgeous (although overdone because so many people have it). I would probably go for the red and white scheme from 2000. That one looked good. I hate the new matted grey color. The bike has no character in that color IMHO. Especially since the frame comes all black on the new models.

So the bottom line is that they are both great bikes with completely different characters. Depends on what kind of experience you want. But also remember that you can get a New R1 for the price of a used Ducati. So unfortunately that limits the choices for some people. And since I have worked on three of the top manufacturers machines I can tell you that Yamaha parts are the cheapest out of the bunch, less than Honda. Ducati parts on the otherhand are deadly expensive. But don't let that influence your decision in any way because it's about the riding experience you want first and foremost. Just keep it in mind so you're not surprised if you ever want to buy parts.

So to answer your question it is a great bike. I would have no problem owning one if I could afford more than one bike. But I can't. I had to choose one that suited my personality and riding style best. I don't hate on any manufacturer because I can see the finer points of all of them, even Harley;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: Need aftermarket fuel pump

Bread said:

One the Duke or on the Legend?
Please don't call your Ducati the Duke.... Someone might think you're actually riding a KTM dual sport (the Duke II). The Duke II gets great reviews, but its a strange looking bike.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try this

Sorry Leon, I guess my website won't let me use the pictures for some reason. I don't know what I did wrong. I can e-mail you pics to post here if you want.

I tried playing around with a website for my company a few days ago. Just typed in stuff as it came to me so it's kinda boring and none of the links are working, but you can see a couple pics on there. The headlight on the left is me testing out the HID on my Ducati on the UW campus one night. That pic was supposed to be a background, not a pic to the left but you get the idea. I suck at creating web-sites!

http://endlessmotorsports.tripod.com/

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No more Ducati

Leon Millette said:
that is so sweet...man I want one
I have to say that I wish I had one too at this point. Because I don't anymore :( Fri. night I was run off the road by somebody I wasn't even trying to race. I guess he was trying to show off or something, or he was just drunk, I'm not sure. But I was leaving Seattle at about 1:30am when a dude tried to pass me on the inside of a tight right-hand bend of a freeway on-ramp. He pushed my back-end out which needless to say caused the bike to hit the pavement. I slid only about 15-to feet before hitting the cement barrier. I don't think I was going any faster than 25mph because I was hard on the brakes trying to avoid the wall. But basically the wall won, blew my tire up, smashing my front rim in and bending the forks. Broke my mirror and right-side fairings. The bike is screwed and I don't have the money to fix it.

I'm really lucky to come out of it though. I was only wearing a helmet, jeans, and leather gloves. No riding jacket or riding boots. Because of my stupidity I have a nice bit of road rash on my right arm and hip. The bike crushed my ankle a bit and my knee got tore up a little. If I had my boots on that woudn't have happened. Overall it could have been a lot worse. My glove really saved my hands big time. It got tore up pretty good. In fact I landed on a piece of glass or something that cut through the leather and into my pinki finger. I can only imagine what it would have done to me without that protection.

The driver kept going, and nobody else stopped for me. I had to pick up the bike and push it back down the onramp into the city of Seattle. Fortunately since I'm moving my business this weekend I had a truck with a lift-gate back home so I was able to come and get it back home by 4:00am. There were some shady ass dudes walking around eyeing it. There always is in Seattle though. So I guess I'm not really sure what I learned from this. I do know what it's like to slide on pavement without a jacket for protection, so that will def. change the way I gear up every day. That image of the wall in my headlight is engraved in my flash memory for life I'm sure because that's all I can see right now. And although this won't stop me from riding (after I get it fixed anyways), it will def. make me a better rider.

For those of you with bikes be careful when your riding guys. And when your in a car try to remember how vulnerable bikers are. People merge into me on the freeway and cut me off all the time. Not on purpose but because cars look for other cars when driving, not motorcycles. I'm fully aware of this point and normally I can see it about to happen and get out of the way, this time I wasn't so lucky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts