Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up? earlier today i took my car to the acura dealership to have them check out why oneo f my windows wasnt rolling up...well anyways when he took the door panel off he told me that the previous owner had ried fixing it themselves and in the process told me they meesed up the interior door handle and he said most likely pretty soon the handle was gonna break and i wasnt gonna be open to open the door from the inside. ok so when i was ready to leave the guy comes up to me and says it broke. so im like WTF man. i mean ive never had a problem with it before and when i got out at the dealership it was fine. can the acura dealershipbe held responsible? now i have to get a new interior asembly and they quoted me like 260 for it. anyone know where to get one cheaper. thanks.

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Personally i'd fight it before paying them $260+, you said it's never bothered you in the past, so I don't see how it could suddenly break just like that. I'd see the service manager or someone higher if possible and explain to them what happened and assertively ask for a resolution. Tell them you don't come to the dealer to to create new problems, but to resolve old ones. That's just the path i'd take, worst comes to worst you're back to where you are now.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The problem is very common with the Legend. It is the result of a cable mounting tab breaking from the inner door handle. Flex by the actuated cable eventually leads to fatigue. This tab is very easy to break on the Cpe which has a longer and heavier inner panel, so extreme care must be used when removing the inner panel from the Cpe. The fix is to perform a DIY repair (some have made brackets and glued into place) by buying a new inner handle assy ($120 approx at discount). Unfortunately, the LT one is sold with the pwr lock switch as well as seat memory switch. Someone has mentioned that the bare panel may be purchased at a significant savings. Call Acura of Augusta 1-800-736-6818 to determine. If I remember correctly, you need to provide your VIN as there are two shades of black.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ummm... I have a question:

can anybody explain how to use the seat memory thing? Or, maybe, post a link to a txt or pdf of the owner's manual? Mine's is a 93 L Coupe. Thank you.

BTW, I did have the driver side door handle break off.. the entire assembly costs $182 plus installation... sucks :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
that's what I figured but the last time I tried setting the memory the evil seat damn near strangled me against the steering wheel - the dude, who had the car before wasn't all that tall :D

anyway, I'll try again and thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This is soooo typical....

I learnt the hard way that Acura is only good for one thing.... Designing a car.... When it comes to servicing them, they are the worst.

I took my car in when my ABS light came one and my ABS stopped working.... After 2 hours and $80.00 they told me the same thing I brought the car in for "Your ABS doesn't work"! I was like WTF!!! It cost my $80.00 for you to tell me something I already knew!!! It really pissed me off... The funny part is, they said they would have to charge me a $120/hr fee for the mechanics to diagnose the problem any further and then extra for any parts required to fit it! I was like, kiss my ass! I'll go somewhere else!

For all you Torontonian's other there, never take your car to Acura East in Ajax because my grandmother could run a better service shop!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Locate another Acura dealer. The dealer should have used the ALB tester and the procedure should take about 30 - 45 min. Had mine done a few yrs back (pressure switch) for $40.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Acurate420 said:
whats up? earlier today i took my car to the acura dealership to have them check out why oneo f my windows wasnt rolling up...well anyways when he took the door panel off he told me that the previous owner had ried fixing it themselves and in the process told me they meesed up the interior door handle and he said most likely pretty soon the handle was gonna break and i wasnt gonna be open to open the door from the inside. ok so when i was ready to leave the guy comes up to me and says it broke. so im like WTF man. i mean ive never had a problem with it before and when i got out at the dealership it was fine. can the acura dealershipbe held responsible? now i have to get a new interior asembly and they quoted me like 260 for it. anyone know where to get one cheaper. thanks.
HELL YEAH !!! They should be held responsible. FIGHT IT !!! As much as they charge us to fix these legends...... Fight IT!!!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thats right, here's some stright logic.

Did you break it? No.

cenario:
If I came over to your house and I'm checking out your car and you tell me your antenna is stuck and I say well let me take a look at it and I come back and told you I broke the mast whose responsibility is it to fix it? yours, no, I broke I fix it, the same is with the dealership. How dare they, tell'em to kiss your actuator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.