Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about the Phantom grip you had installed a year or so back. How is it holding up? Everything going well for your car? If to this day you have had no problem, then I am definately going to get me one. Can I get an update on the Phatom Grip? Thanks in advance.

-Vinh
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Sprung17 said:
Just curious about the Phantom grip you had installed a year or so back. How is it holding up? Everything going well for your car? If to this day you have had no problem, then I am definately going to get me one. Can I get an update on the Phatom Grip? Thanks in advance.

-Vinh
no problems it works great on the street for ripping around corners or from stoplighs/signs, but use it to seriously drag race with drag radials or slicks and it doesnt work so well. Remeber i have a lot more torqe than any other Legend here so it may work better for others. For what i spent(300+/- installed)its worth having, only if you pay under 350 for the install.

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,037 Posts
dum question

sorry but what is a phantom grip.???sounds like it is off a paintball gun..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds great. Thanks for the feedback DV8. That will definately be on my list. But as for now I am low on cash due to my recent purchase of a sparco Mugello steering wheel and NRG quick release. Muhahahha. I will have the Phantom Grip soon
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Sprung17 said:
That sounds great. Thanks for the feedback DV8. That will definately be on my list. But as for now I am low on cash due to my recent purchase of a sparco Mugello steering wheel and NRG quick release. Muhahahha. I will have the Phantom Grip soon
sounds like a nice wheel, i got the MOMO driver at the end of summer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,037 Posts
thanks

Thanks lavaflow for the link, and now i know what the phantom lsd.I know what a limited slip is but just didn't put 2 and 2 together. And yes i play paintball. Play with the Michigan Tech club and had my own three man two years back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
DV8, Have you broken down the diff to see if there is any damage to your diff casing. You might want to see about that if you have an opportunity. The Phantom grip products have blown up on dynos and now people that run dynos no longer let people on the chasis style dyno if they have a phantom grip. I know that sounds far fetched, but it has happened many times locally and I am really concerned with the Legend since the diff is attached to the oil pan. Seems like a recipe for disaster!
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
hondaman23 said:
DV8, Have you broken down the diff to see if there is any damage to your diff casing. You might want to see about that if you have an opportunity. The Phantom grip products have blown up on dynos and now people that run dynos no longer let people on the chasis style dyno if they have a phantom grip. I know that sounds far fetched, but it has happened many times locally and I am really concerned with the Legend since the diff is attached to the oil pan. Seems like a recipe for disaster!
in order to remove the diff carrier i have to pop out the trans input shaft which is a pain, or remove the trans which basically means i have to pull the engine. I'm not doing any of those until A. something does blow up B. I get a real lsd to have installed along with some other goodies i want but i refuse to spend money on. The Phanom grip still works great through the turns, but drag racing it doesnt work so well on drag radials or slicks.

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
A little concerned.....

I believe that you have probably the highest output car that i have heard of to date for this type of chasis. Taking that to heart, I think that you need a little more holding power in your diff if you are having problems in a straight line. I have had this type of diff built by a buddy and he has built one to hold up to 700 HP. LEgEnD4LiFe had one built and has not installed it. Apparently Mike Diaz has not gotten to it. You might want to see if he would trade up with you and I can build him another one. We built that one to take up to 700+ HP. He thinks that he will have a power plant that will put out more than that (He says 1000 HP).

Anyways, just to let you know, this differential is one of the biggest that we have built. It has serious potential for holding and we ended up using a clutch pack that was as big as one used in a 650+ HP Mercedes Drag car. The buddy of mine built this diff for a Mercedes since no one else builds one capable of this type of task. They loved it so much that they ordered 3 more for other cars in their stable. They run slicks so it gives you an idea of this things capability.

Please contact LEgEnD4LiFe and see if he wants to try that. We did take alot of time to get this to him and I thought that the whole process would have gone much faster, but since there was no precedence, it took more time to develop. That being said, we now can make one in 1 to 1.5 weeks (yes, a half of a day is do-able).

Just one thing to say, this LSD will hold. I have many of them, but sorry to say that I do not have one in my GS. It is not a racecar, just a really nice car so no LSD at this time. I am looking for a 6 speed coupe and I will have one in it as soon as I can. Man, I really want a 6 speed bad right now. I came very close to buying a BMW M3 and now after carefully considering this, I really overlooked the Coupe. I have had my GS for so long that I did not even consider it up front. I got done with my LS Civic and I want something to do. I am getting bored. Anyways, I digress.

Let me know what you want to try. :D
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
hondaman23 said:
I believe that you have probably the highest output car that i have heard of to date for this type of chasis. Taking that to heart, I think that you need a little more holding power in your diff if you are having problems in a straight line. I have had this type of diff built by a buddy and he has built one to hold up to 700 HP. LEgEnD4LiFe had one built and has not installed it. Apparently Mike Diaz has not gotten to it. You might want to see if he would trade up with you and I can build him another one. We built that one to take up to 700+ HP. He thinks that he will have a power plant that will put out more than that (He says 1000 HP).

Anyways, just to let you know, this differential is one of the biggest that we have built. It has serious potential for holding and we ended up using a clutch pack that was as big as one used in a 650+ HP Mercedes Drag car. The buddy of mine built this diff for a Mercedes since no one else builds one capable of this type of task. They loved it so much that they ordered 3 more for other cars in their stable. They run slicks so it gives you an idea of this things capability.

Please contact LEgEnD4LiFe and see if he wants to try that. We did take alot of time to get this to him and I thought that the whole process would have gone much faster, but since there was no precedence, it took more time to develop. That being said, we now can make one in 1 to 1.5 weeks (yes, a half of a day is do-able).

Just one thing to say, this LSD will hold. I have many of them, but sorry to say that I do not have one in my GS. It is not a racecar, just a really nice car so no LSD at this time. I am looking for a 6 speed coupe and I will have one in it as soon as I can. Man, I really want a 6 speed bad right now. I came very close to buying a BMW M3 and now after carefully considering this, I really overlooked the Coupe. I have had my GS for so long that I did not even consider it up front. I got done with my LS Civic and I want something to do. I am getting bored. Anyways, I digress.

Let me know what you want to try. :D
i totally agree with you i do need a real LSD in order to drag because the phantom grip does nothing when im strapped with the drag radials or slicks. If i rev the car to 3k and put it in 2nd to warm up the tires, the tires wont move. the clutch is engaed and not slipping and the rpms are reving out. so obviously something in the diff is not engaging, of course if i soak the tires in water i have the problem less, but these days the water box bearly has any water in it. 1st gear makes no diference either.
I wasnt aware of there being a lsd made for our diffs. is it a bolt in unit or are there modifications? what about axle strength? See i decided im done with spending anymore cash on this car because it never ends.

After the LSD i still have a heavy FWD car with a poor suspension design for drag racing. Not to mention the lack of externally adjustable shocks, an engine managment system and crappy engine and tranny mounts.

Fix all these problems, while still retaining the nice sport luxury look and feel and not spending more than the cars worth, which ive already done 3 times over=priceless.

So whats a LSD like yours run$? think you can make some Tein 16 way adjustables fit a legend? how about some solid billet mounts?

~TRu Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Dv8 said:
iSee i decided im done with spending anymore cash on this car because it never ends.

After the LSD i still have a heavy FWD car with a poor suspension design for drag racing. Not to mention the lack of externally adjustable shocks, an engine managment system and crappy engine and tranny mounts.

Fix all these problems, while still retaining the nice sport luxury look and feel and not spending more than the cars worth, which ive already done 3 times over=priceless.

So whats a LSD like yours run$? think you can make some Tein 16 way adjustables fit a legend? how about some solid billet mounts?

~TRu Hybrid
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: It never ends!!! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

How much $$$ did it take you to figure that out??? j/k.

addiction is a disease man, live with it. :p

BTW :bowdown: -->DV8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Real LSD

This is a unit that you can bolt in once you get it back, no modifications. We build the diff to your set of instructions. The preload is something that is modified based on your application. All the same price though, $600 + shipping. Still trying to get an extra diff so that if someone wants one, I can just send you a built one when you send me yours.

The really cool thing about these diffs is that they can improve the handling of the car. I know that sounds crazy, but the simple evening of the power to both front wheels with the ability to "limited slip" can pull you through turns, help you stop better and give you an overall feel of balance even if you push it hard in a turn. I put a LSD in an integra and the owner said that it felt like it had new shocks on it, no kidding. It does not make up for all problems, but it is interesting what if feels like afterward. Wheel hop is diminished since this differential puts the active wheel to work and transfers the slip without lockup to the other side. I love this in my race car since I sometimes have both inner wheel (Back &&& Front!) of the ground. I have never felt a over-rev engine situation with this diff. I Love this thing in a race (raod course).

"think you can make some Tein 16 way adjustables fit a legend? how about some solid billet mounts?"

Anything is possible with $. You know that! :)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top