Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gen 2 CAI round up.

Ok i am waiting paciently for LiasLegend to critque my CAI i sent him a good while ago, however he seems to be hibernating somewhere.

In the mean time id like a show of hands on all those ready to PURCHACE the CAI and CAI ONLY, for their Gen 2 Legends.

Those Members ready to PURCHACE NEED to EMAIL: [email protected]

All the rest that require more questions reply to this thread.

Please no repeat questions, read through all replies before posting.

COST is Set at $245 w/shipping with your choice of a red or blue colored breather, REAL K&N reusable cone filter, hoses, fittings and pipes. Detailed instructions with pictures emailed with your purchase.

Ill post pics soon

~Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Is this CAI only or Intake + CAI ?

245 sounds a lot for just CAI

Maybe its a stupid Q. But is this the wbole intake + CAI or do I need to buy the intake seperately ?

If I need to but a seperate intake, wiil this CAI work with RM Racing Intake ?
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
veloci said:
would you post pictures of the system? that way most questions will be answered.

just a thought:)
Dv8 said:


Ill post pics soon

vrb747 said:
245 sounds a lot for just CAI

Maybe its a stupid Q. But is this the wbole intake + CAI or do I need to buy the intake seperately ?

If I need to but a seperate intake, wiil this CAI work with RM Racing Intake ?
CAI
Definition: COLD AIR INTAKE

I didnt say the words extension pipe or cold air tube.

& 245 is a **** good price for being the same system in my own car that aids me in running a [email protected], not to mention top quality and the only CAI offered for a Legend.

Still to rich for your blood-dont buy it.

~Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Calm down DV8..........

Im not trying to dis u.....

I wanna buy a CAI. Im just a novice at this stuff tho, so help me out here.

I know this sounds stupid & that ur patience with me is wearing thin, but the same Q again .....

Is this CAI u r selling comparable to a Weapon R intake plus a CAI or is it more like I need to buy the Weapon R (or RM Racing intake) seperately & u r just selling the CAI ?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
PIctures will answer everyone's questions, so this does not become a 10 page topic. I remember when DV8 had a picture of his system on his car, it was awesome. i am just waiting to see the new pictures and see how much it changed, if at all. anyways, if it is the same as the previous picture, i will buy one. $245.00 is not bad. wait for the pictures and you will see that the system is worth the $.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Sorry if I misunderstood, but are you having this CAI produced in quantity or is this just one you are selling? If it is being produced will it be available for purchase at a later time?

Thanks,

Tejus
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·




MASS PRODUCTION

I dont have a filter on the end of my extension but the K&N would go there.

On rainy days you simply detach the Cold air extension and move the filter.

Every thing you need to hook it up is provided except for tools.

~Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Hey DV8

Thanks for clearing that up

"245 is a **** good price"

It is

"Still to rich for your blood-dont buy it. "

I will

Im in
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vrb747 said:
Hey DV8

Thanks for clearing that up

"245 is a **** good price"

It is

"Still to rich for your blood-dont buy it. "

I will

Im in
If your in, then email me.

Roger said:
so you dont run a filter on it unless its raining??
Call me stupid, but i dont run a filter Period.

However, I include the only filter id ever put on my intake; a Genuine K&N cone filter.

~Hybrid
 

·
Old S*hool Member
Joined
·
2,218 Posts
Dv8 said:
MASS PRODUCTION

I dont have a filter on the end of my extension but the K&N would go there.

On rainy days you simply detach the Cold air extension and move the filter.

~Hybrid
1st off, its not that simple (at least its not with my CIA). You can't just pull the filter up out of its new home in the lower bumper when things get wet outside. Once the filter is attached to the pipe in the lower bumper, you would have to remove the front passenger wheel and remove the wheel well liner to get access to the filter to take it out (which is also what you have to do to get it in there). This is rather simple, but it takes effort and its not quick. I drive it in the rain - had no problems and I positioned the filter in the lower bumper so its minimal exposure to rain.

2nd - I bought my intake (genuine K&N cone filter and Polished tube etc) off Ebay for $83 - works great. To convert it to a CAI I used some 90degree 3" aluminum ducting and from Home Depot and some aluminum tape from Walmart - these parts together cost me about $5. Thats $88 total. Yes it doesn't look quite as nice as DV8's but it doesn't look Ghetto - especially if you take care when applying the tape so it doesn't wrinkle. My point is that I feel that $245 is too much to spend on a mod like this - you may not agree with me, but I did it at 1/3 the cost and I know it works as well as any other CAI out there. It also looks very decent (I will be proud to open my hood next week at Niagra!)

Just my $0.02

Dave.
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Octane said:


1st off, its not that simple (at least its not with my CIA). You can't just pull the filter up out of its new home in the lower bumper when things get wet outside. Once the filter is attached to the pipe in the lower bumper, you would have to remove the front passenger wheel and remove the wheel well liner to get access to the filter to take it out (which is also what you have to do to get it in there). This is rather simple, but it takes effort and its not quick. I drive it in the rain - had no problems and I positioned the filter in the lower bumper so its minimal exposure to rain.

2nd - I bought my intake (genuine K&N cone filter and Polished tube etc) off Ebay for $83 - works great. To convert it to a CAI I used some 90degree 3" aluminum ducting and from Home Depot and some aluminum tape from Walmart - these parts together cost me about $5. Thats $88 total. Yes it doesn't look quite as nice as DV8's but it doesn't look Ghetto - especially if you take care when applying the tape so it doesn't wrinkle. My point is that I feel that $245 is too much to spend on a mod like this - you may not agree with me, but I did it at 1/3 the cost and I know it works as well as any other CAI out there. It also looks very decent (I will be proud to open my hood next week at Niagra!)

Just my $0.02

Dave.
Well Dave i respect your opinion, however mine is; People spend Thousands of dollars to port and polish their engine internals such as Throttle bodies, intake manifolds, exhaust manifold openings, heads, valve jobs, etc

Why?

1) It openes up the area for more airflow
2) It increases velocity because its supersmooth.

We all know a port and polish is a serious engine mod that creates serious engine power.

Which brings me to my next point. I used to run a dryer hose tube from the Home Depot both with or without a filter. i tried both the plastic tube and the aluminum one. I tried using PVC pipe, then mandrel bent metal piping from JC whitney.

Ive been there and done that. Now ive come up with a super smooth, and a very light weight alternative to the Home depot style intakes.

I'll be the first to agree, your paying for bright shinny metal, but you also paying for smooth-airflow-friendly-internal-metal that flows air better than any SUPER RIBBED Dyer hose that will eventually fade and crack due to heat. Any groves in any tube carrying air is going to be disturbed=slowed down.

I dont want to continue the stigma us Import owners already have. That being "RICE"! Thinking back to when i had the dryer hose tube or PVC pipe i was happy, beause it was the closest thing i could get, now its not. I'd love to see the Domestic owners faces when they see Us imports with dryer tubes hanging out our cars now, before it was embarassing. Whats wrong with paying for looks and performance, is that not what everyone is after?

All respectable short RAM intakes for the legend are about 215+ whats 245 with a CAI and a Genuwine K&N?

By the way the Installation is a little more tricky if you havent already removed the resonator box, however it all detailed in my picture instructions. But by all means its the same as any CAI installation is on any import car.

What you do or think is your own opinion, ive just stated mine.

Maybe i'll see you at the Track.

~Hybrid
 

·
Old S*hool Member
Joined
·
2,218 Posts
I love a good debate!! :)

Okay, yes, super smooth air is always better than turbulance from ribbed piping. However what I am referring to is not dryer hose (I saw that stuff at Home depot and I thought the exact same thing - ghetto and too much turbulance! What I used was Aluminum piping (relatively smooth and shiny, with 3 angled/adj. joints) Fastened with aluminum tape (also shhiny/smooth looking). This also looks better than dryer piping, but as I stated, obviously not as nice as yours looks.
The comparison to porting/polishing heads is a bit of a stretch. Reducing air turbulance to increase airflow will improve performance, but the difference between your CAI and mine is far less than the difference between a stock egine vs one that is ported and polished - even when you factor in the relative price differences.
Lastly, the $160 (or so) dollars that I save by building my own CAI can be used for other performance improvements, thus offsetting or even surpassing your performance / cost ratio.
You win in looks, but as I said before, mine looks **** good for what it is and it doesn't appear "Ricey".

In general I just want to point out to those on a budget that there is no reason to break the bank on a CAI - If you have the means, get the pro CAI - I'm sure it will impress and work great. If you don't have the means, or want to spread the money around, then do it the custom way - you won't be disappointed!

Regards,
Dave.

P.S. Cudos to you DV8 - you have a sweet ride. When I get my hands on a digital Camera, I will show you mine (and my CAI!). I also want to point out that this is my "winter beater" (or at least this was my intention when I bought it), but its so mint and so fun to drive that its getting all my attention! My summer car is a 1968 Camaro, which is where I'm supposed to pour my real money into... only prob is I'm having so much fun with the Legend that I haven't even taken my other baby out of storage yet!!!
 

·
Life Ruiner
Joined
·
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Octane said:
I love a good debate!! :)

Okay, yes, super smooth air is always better than turbulance from ribbed piping. However what I am referring to is not dryer hose (I saw that stuff at Home depot and I thought the exact same thing - ghetto and too much turbulance! What I used was Aluminum piping (relatively smooth and shiny, with 3 angled/adj. joints) Fastened with aluminum tape (also shhiny/smooth looking). This also looks better than dryer piping, but as I stated, obviously not as nice as yours looks.
The comparison to porting/polishing heads is a bit of a stretch. Reducing air turbulance to increase airflow will improve performance, but the difference between your CAI and mine is far less than the difference between a stock egine vs one that is ported and polished - even when you factor in the relative price differences.
Lastly, the $160 (or so) dollars that I save by building my own CAI can be used for other performance improvements, thus offsetting or even surpassing your performance / cost ratio.
You win in looks, but as I said before, mine looks **** good for what it is and it doesn't appear "Ricey".

In general I just want to point out to those on a budget that there is no reason to break the bank on a CAI - If you have the means, get the pro CAI - I'm sure it will impress and work great. If you don't have the means, or want to spread the money around, then do it the custom way - you won't be disappointed!

Regards,
Dave.

P.S. Cudos to you DV8 - you have a sweet ride. When I get my hands on a digital Camera, I will show you mine (and my CAI!). I also want to point out that this is my "winter beater" (or at least this was my intention when I bought it), but its so mint and so fun to drive that its getting all my attention! My summer car is a 1968 Camaro, which is where I'm supposed to pour my real money into... only prob is I'm having so much fun with the Legend that I haven't even taken my other baby out of storage yet!!!
Thats funny, when i bought my Legend I never thought of myself being on a budget. Nor will i ever put anything that is of buget quality on my Legend. Actual performance will never be surpassed by the concept that its cheaper so it must be better all around. that puts you up there with the TORNADO.

I though that all of us owning a Legend put us in a notch above having ducting as our cold air extension pipe.

The Legend is a full Fast Luxury car, with luxurious ammeneties, no one should ever skimp. When you bought your Legend, you werent buying a cheap beater.

If you dont want the CAI dont even come to this thread, instead start you own and describe to eveyone how you made your own.

~Hybrid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
DV8 I want to be clear, so don't b!tch at me.

You are selling the enitre piping, from the TB on down plus all the connections, clamps, and anything else we might need and a filter, correct? Will fitting be ok with TCS?
 

·
Old S*hool Member
Joined
·
2,218 Posts
Dv8 said:


Thats funny, when i bought my Legend I never thought of myself being on a budget. Nor will i ever put anything that is of buget quality on my Legend. Actual performance will never be surpassed by the concept that its cheaper so it must be better all around. that puts you up there with the TORNADO.

I though that all of us owning a Legend put us in a notch above having ducting as our cold air extension pipe.

The Legend is a full Fast Luxury car, with luxurious ammeneties, no one should ever skimp. When you bought your Legend, you werent buying a cheap beater.

If you dont want the CAI dont even come to this thread, instead start you own and describe to eveyone how you made your own.

~Hybrid
Ok, calm down - I'm not trying to make this a personal attack. I thought I explained my opinion and the reasoning for it.

Don't make me out to be a cheap a$$. I don't skimp - my CAI doesn't look cheap and I highly doubt your CAI would out perfrom mine my more than 1/2 hp if dyno'd on the same car. Sometimes I try to find a more cost effective method of doing things. I always do whats best for my car - finding innovative (and sometimes more cost effective) ways to improve my ride helped me to save enough money for my CL TypeS rims and low profile tires.

I never thought of my car as a beater - that was a joke! I chose it for the same reasons you did (class/luxury and performance). While in most case you do get what you pay for, sometimes the difference in price is not always justifiable by the difference in quality/performance. A CAI is one such example in my mind.

Those who have the money to afford your CAI will buy it and I have no doubt they will be very happy. I'm simply pointing out to those who can't afford it (and I'm sure there are many) that just b/c you don't have $245 to spend on some tubing and a filter, doesn't mean all is lost.

Say what you will about me and my methods - we are all entitled to our opinions - that is why I stated mine in the 1st place. I hope you're not too pissed and I hope I haven't created any enemies over this issue.

All The Best,
Dave.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top