Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking of getting my car Dyno Tuned, but what is dyno tuning really, can someone explain to me?? and how much does it cost, does it really give you more power???

thanx
david

·
Banned
25 Posts
There are a few ways you can get your car tuned. Usually, the cheap way to go about tuning it is with a small ECU control unit such sa a Venom 400 or S-AFC. The tuner, wether you do it yourself or have a guy at the shop do it just adjusts A/F and some minor things. Basically it all depends on what mods you already currently have and what exactly do you need tuned. If you have just CAI and Exhuast its not going to do much, maybe 5-6whp or so and then you might not want to spend the money tuning it. But if you had a Turbo or Supercharger, or some Heads work, cams, long tubes, nitrous, ect. Then you might want to consider a tune.

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
As stated above, you basically reprogram your ECU without having to actually replace a chip. The advantage to Dyno Tuning, as opposed to one of the plug and play systems (S-AFC, Venom) is that your car will litterally be tuned on a dyno, and you will get real dyno proven power gains. S-AFC's are great, but probably not too effective unless you get them dyno tuned. They will also take into account what performance mods you already have and adjust your ECU accordingly to get optimal gains from your existing parts. You can also have your ECU custom tuned to fit your driving needs, such as more low end power/torque, or high end power. As far as pricing goes, it will vary from shop to shop. There is a local speed shop here in State College, and they charge $60/hour for dyno tuning.

I actually have a question about dyno tuning as well. Does anyone know if after you have your car tuned, and you happen to disconnect the battery for a period of time or remove the ECU fuse, will the ECU reset itself or will the tuned settings remain? I've been considering having my car tuned this summer, but I'm worried what will happen if I ever have to disconnect my battery or I somehow lose power to the ECU.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm in college right now, and we have a dyno on campus. There is a group of people that are called the "dyno team" and they are looking for cars to put on the dyno, so im gonna do that just to see what kind of numbers I put out. I have an intake, universal muffler, and a venom 400 as far as performance mods. Does anyone know if it is possible to dyno tune the ecu with the venom turned on....or will the venom just cancel out any manual tuning done?

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
a venom will not do ANYTHING. a local owner around here tried it, and it actually slowed her car down. she was all about speed, and when she tried it at the track she was pissed.
The only thing you can do is try to tune in a nitrous setup by changing jets.

There is no real way to tune your car n/a unless you have an SAFC. even that, over time, the ecu will tune it back out eventually. My advice is to just leave it. Not only do you want to tune your a/f ratio, you also want to adjust your timing.

the best solution is to buy an AEM and wire that in instead of the stock ecu. Then work with a basic tune until you can build it up to a full blown setup. THen you will be able to tune it via a laptop. thats going to cost you around 2 grand, maybe more, just to get in and setup. Then you have to tune it in. Expect at least 2500, for maybe 10-12 hp. Now if you had some serious mods, like headers, intake manifold, much bigger throttle body, cams, and larger injectors, or especially forced induction, you could expect to tune maybe 40 or more into it over the stock ecu. unless you have most of those mods, its not worth it to you. basically, you will have to spend 8 grand to make power out of this motor, but when you do, you will be quite pleased.

and somebody please move this to g2 performance.

·
Registered
563 Posts
to get your car dyno tuned, you will need a wideband O2 sensor to actually fine tune it properly. Usually when the shop dyno tune the car, they will street tune it first then toss it on the dyno to tune it some more. the reason why people dyno tune it is so they can safely tune their car without being on the road endangering people.

My friend and I are planning to get his IS 300 dyno tuned after we street tune his car. Though we need to find a decent shop that knows how to deal with the Greddy E-manage and a turbo charged IS. I don't know how our car would do getting dyno tuned, while we are N/A and with out real good engine management.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Alright, I can understand that it might not be practical for legendoflegends to do it b/c it may cost $60/hr or whatever the rates are....but for me, I can get on a dyno for free. Are you saying that even if it is free, it is not worth it?

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
lgnd4u2nv said:
Alright, I can understand that it might not be practical for legendoflegends to do it b/c it may cost $60/hr or whatever the rates are....but for me, I can get on a dyno for free. Are you saying that even if it is free, it is not worth it?
what are you going to tune it with???? how are you going to adjust air fuel ratios or timing??? If you cannot make changes, what are you going to tune???? Now dont get me wrong, going to just run on the dyno is fine. But you have no way to tune it.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Got news for you. The Legend ECU has no provision for adjustment and AEM never made the universal version EMS because of the high demand for the PnP units. S-AFC is your only route and that won't gain you much.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
OK well that is where my knowledge is limited. I thought that there was some sort of computer you could plug into the ecu and you could reprogram it. I guess not. I'm still gonna take my car on the dyno just to get numbers b/c its a free offer.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Got news for you. The Legend ECU has no provision for adjustment and AEM never made the universal version EMS because of the high demand for the PnP units. S-AFC is your only route and that won't gain you much.
Pretty sure you can get a universal ems. its going to cost you though. They dont have it listed on their site, but if you call them you can get the information.
lgnd4u2nv said:
OK well that is where my knowledge is limited. I thought that there was some sort of computer you could plug into the ecu and you could reprogram it. I guess not. I'm still gonna take my car on the dyno just to get numbers b/c its a free offer.
if we could do that, do you think we would be struggling to get into the 14s n/a, 13s nitrous. no way. Thats what is so great about the b and h series hondas is that you can use several different programs to tune it on stock ecu. (hondata, etc)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
11 WHP in my case.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Guardian

If your fuel pressure drops OR the Air Fuel Rario starts to go Lean it will cut boost to prevent you from blowing up.
:D :)

This is a brand new system developed for Hondas edpecially, you can find them used on many RSX Turbo's running around. It is made by Cybernation motorsports out of Ft. Lauderdale Florida. They seem to be the most sucessful boosted Honda Tuners.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Sprung17 said:
the reason why people dyno tune it is so they can safely tune their car without being on the road endangering people.

My friend and I are planning to get his IS 300 dyno tuned after we street tune his car. Though we need to find a decent shop that knows how to deal with the Greddy E-manage and a turbo charged IS. I don't know how our car would do getting dyno tuned, while we are N/A and with out real good engine management.
People dyno tune cars because they car easily replicate variables that the road cannot - such as load, temperature, and back-to-back data logs. Tell your friend to junk that E-Manage and get a MAP ECU or an AEM - I'm dead serious... he won't be sorry - E-Manage is junk.

It's cool that he's doing an IS - I wish him luck - those are cool when they are turboed...

[EDIT] - you CAN use the AEM EMS - buy it for a Honda, NSX, whatever... the BOX is the same - it's the harness/plastic coupling that's not. You'll have to pull the box apart, rip out the harness, rewire it for the Legend, and reinstall it - good luck... I'd trust ONLY JASON SIEBELS with this - as he is one of the main techs at AEM for the EMS program. Wish that I hadn't sold mine...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.