Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
:confused: are you trying to remove the taillight housing from the car or the taillight lense from the taillight housing?

If the former, then all you need to do is remove the 4 bolts inside side the trunk on each side and the tail light housing should come right out.

If the latter, then you have to heat up the adhesive using a heat gun, then carefully pry the lense apart without breaking it. (slow and painful process)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WhiteLegend said:
:confused: are you trying to remove the taillight housing from the car or the taillight lense from the taillight housing?

If the former, then all you need to do is remove the 4 bolts inside side the trunk on each side and the tail light housing should come right out.

If the latter, then you have to heat up the adhesive using a heat gun, then carefully pry the lense apart without breaking it. (slow and painful process)
thanx,
i removed the tail light from the car. trying to remove the lense the problem is, the lense is glued on but also, the lense is hooked on to the housing so even if i get the glue off, it's still hooked on the housing. i was thinking of just using the dremel tool and cutting everything except the housing.
-j
 

·
Junior Mint
Joined
·
629 Posts
I just did this the other day. I took apart the taillight lens and painted the orange part red on the inside. It looks pretty good.

Problem is, the first time I did it, I put two 2" cracks into the lens as I was prying it off. You have to be careful with the lens. It's not super strong. The second time I was more careful and didn't mess up.

I put the tailights into the oven. 250 for 10 minutes works ok. Then took a chisel and worked my way around prying. Be careful around the lower center of the lens. that's where I cracked mine. Don't do what Johnny Don't Do does.

Don't worry about the little plastic clips on the lens. Even if you break it, I was able to get a good seal afterwards when reassembling. Use some good auto glass sealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
E K said:
I just did this the other day. I took apart the taillight lens and painted the orange part red on the inside. It looks pretty good.

Problem is, the first time I did it, I put two 2" cracks into the lens as I was prying it off. You have to be careful with the lens. It's not super strong. The second time I was more careful and didn't mess up.

I put the tailights into the oven. 250 for 10 minutes works ok. Then took a chisel and worked my way around prying. Be careful around the lower center of the lens. that's where I cracked mine. Don't do what Johnny Don't Do does.

Don't worry about the little plastic clips on the lens. Even if you break it, I was able to get a good seal afterwards when reassembling. Use some good auto glass sealer.
sounds good. i'm gonna try this this weekend. thanx.
-j
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
E K said:
I just did this the other day. I took apart the taillight lens and painted the orange part red on the inside. It looks pretty good.

Problem is, the first time I did it, I put two 2" cracks into the lens as I was prying it off. You have to be careful with the lens. It's not super strong. The second time I was more careful and didn't mess up.

I put the tailights into the oven. 250 for 10 minutes works ok. Then took a chisel and worked my way around prying. Be careful around the lower center of the lens. that's where I cracked mine. Don't do what Johnny Don't Do does.

Don't worry about the little plastic clips on the lens. Even if you break it, I was able to get a good seal afterwards when reassembling. Use some good auto glass sealer.
Pics? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
I saw EK's tail light and aside from the cracks it looked real good painted from the inside, no more orange just red and clear.
 

·
Junior Mint
Joined
·
629 Posts
jkurl said:
I saw EK's tail light and aside from the cracks it looked real good painted from the inside, no more orange just red and clear.
Thanks for the compliment, jkurl.

No digital camera, so no pics...sorry. I think Legendarith has done the same thing, and my taillights look like his now. Nice and shiny on the outside, only a slight hint of orange from certain angles up close. Nothing most people will notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
best way that i know of is to soak the whole housing in a bucket of HOT water for awhile. this way you will heat up all the silicone around the lense. it took me about 1-2 hours to get it off. the heat gun i got scared of it because i melted part of my old lense. I guess either way will work. heat gun may be faster though, but that **** gets hot.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top