Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Some useful info:

Getting that little Check Engine lights on your dash may seem a little discomforting. In reality it is really a miracle of engineering and computer technology. Instead of randomly pocking in vast amounts of wires, sensors, and mechanisms in such complex car as a Legend, this little light tells you that your computer knows exactly what is wrong with the car (most of the time).

That means the exact sensor or gate has been pin-pointed as being either partially disconnected or simply out of acceptable range.

Location of ECU on 1986-1990 Legends

The control unit is located under the passenger seat on sedans and under the passenger foot well carpet on the coupes.
The engine CPU is the form of an aluminum box with a little plexiglass window. All you have to observe is a little red LED.

Location of ECU on 1991-1995 Legends

On the 1991-1995 Acura/Honda Legends, you have to jump a service connector located on the passenger side right under the dashboard near the door. The connector has two pin inputs. Connecting them with something like a paper clip will force the check engine light on the dashboard to display the codes.

Extracting Codes

With the car either running or the key in the ON position, perform the necessary steps above and observe the blinking of the light. The light will blink displaying all the codes in sequence and then repeating them.

Reading Codes

The code numbers are read by counting the number of blinks between longer pauses. On 1986-1990 Legends, the code number is indicacted by a series of rapid LED blinks between longer pauses.

On 1991-1995 cars, codes 1-9 are indicated by a series of short flashes; two digit codes use a number of long flashes for the first digit followed by the number of short flashes for the second digit. So a code 43 will be represented by 4 long and 3 short flashes.

The position of codes in a sequence can be helpful in doing diagnostics. A display showing 1-1-1-pause-9-9-9 indicates two problems occurring at different times. A sequence showing 1-9-1-9-1-9 indicates two problems occurring at the same time.

Resetting ECU

Sometimes it may be useful to reset the ECU memory. Although that maybe done by removing the battery for around 20 minutes or so, this will also kill your clock and radio presets. A more elegant way is to:

on 86-90 Legends remove the alternator fuse for 20 seconds.
on 91-95 Legends remove the ACG fuse in the interior fuse panel for 20 seconds. (note that this will also clear the seat memory)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are trouble codes for 86-95 Acura/Honda Legends:

1986-1990 Legend (G1)
Code # Explanation
1 Front Oxygen Sensor
2 Rear Oxygen Sensor
3 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
5 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
4 Crank Angle Sensor
6 Coolant Temperature Sensor
7 Throttle Angle Sensor
8 Top-Dead-Center Position Sensor
9 Number 1 Cylinder Piston Position
10 Intake Temperature Sensor
12 E.G.R. System
13 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor
14 Electronic Idle Control Module
15 Ignition Output Signal
17 Vehicle Speed Sensor
18 Ignition Timing Adjustment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1991-1995 Legend (G2) (Click here for transmission trouble codes)

Code # Explanation
1 Left Oxygen Sensor
2 Right Oxygen Sensor
3 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
5 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
4 Crank Angle Sensor
6 Coolant Temperature Sensor
7 Throttle Angle Sensor
9 Number 1 Cylinder Position (No. 1 Sensor)
10 Intake Temperature Sensor
12 E.G.R. Sensor
13 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor
14 Electronic Idle Control Module
15 Ignition Output Signal
16 Fuel Injector
17 Vehicle Speed Sensor
18 Ignition Timing Adjustment
23 Left Knock Sensor
41 Left Oxygen Sensor Heater
42 Right Oxygen Sensor Heater
43 Left Fuel Supply System
44 Right Fuel Supply System
45 Left Fuel Metering
46 Right Fuel Metering
53 Right Knock Sensor
54 Crank Angle 2 Sensor
59 Number 1 Cylinder Position (No. 2 Sensor)

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks leon now i have a so called "cheat sheet without pulling out the book.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thai.95LCoupe said:
Are these codes need for when you get the Stage II chip?? Or Just if you senn the check engine light flashing..
no..these are f you get a check engine light and you retrieve the codes as stated above....G2 is set up differently from G1

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
This info is GOLD. Thanks Leon

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks much bro on this info heh, now i can find otu exactly why that light is on, it came one yesterday and got me curious, i think i might have blowin a fuel injector, but not really sure, the pcm-fi light is on, and thats the check engine light on 86 acks, well thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
very sweet info man, btw how long does the light last?, any way to tell if it's burnt out?

G

·
What exactly is the benefit of reseting the ECU though? I haven't done it since I did that CAI, should I do it now or would it be pointless?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a g2 91 sedan and i don't see an ACG fuse, all i see are ALB fuses thats the closest thing to ACG i can see. Can anyone show me a picture or a chart or something

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
so when u goignt o acura diler and u want to do inspection if its something wrong with your car that what thay do is looking on this lights ? that how thay do that ?

ThanX

·
Registered
179 Posts
Acura have machines which display the same information in numeric form. Which is then easily translated on a chart. Having this information available to us is useless if you are going to an acura dealership because most charge $75 for a diagnostic (required because they never trust the user, and shouldn't) and then there are labor and parts costs to fix the problem.

If we know exactly what the problem is then we should take advantage of that knowledge and head to the nearest junkyard or Autozone for a replacement when appropriate. Also, there's nothing wrong with getting your local mech to do non engine invasive work I think. I had my timing belt changed right in front of me for 2/3rds the cost Acura would charge for labor alone.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
New Code

Add code 36 to the list, it applies to GS models, possibly TCS on the Coupe models as well:

Code 36 - TCFC Signal (Traction Control Fuel Cut-Off)

"Hello Hector, The code you are getting is specific to the GS models. The code is for the traction control fuel cut-off. I recommend clearing the code and driving it some more to see if it comes on again. If it does, let me know and I can get you a copy of the test procedure"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can anyone post instructions on where the pin holes are on a 91 ls, and how to do it, my check engine light has been on forever just no money to take it to the dealer, im hopefully getting a helms soon, so that prob. tells me how im guessing

·
Registered
702 Posts
Trixiem I read u

Hey Trixiem

I had the same problem on my 93 LS coupe.

The ACG fuse is in the fuse box inside the car not under the hood

The fuse box is located inside the car located underneath the steering column on the drivers side

I know there is another way to reset the ECU without disconnecting the battery.

It involves pulling on of the fuses in the fuse box located under the hood.

Would someone care to comment ?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts