Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
What! It's OBD 1. It does have what is known as On-Board Diagnostics (OBD!). This means the computer is capable of triggering fault codes, which on a G1 Legend, translates to those flashes you see in the window on the computer. Hope this clears things up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hi all, when i was looking at this i was informed the ecu was a PL2 system, and yes it does have obd but not as it's used today (no plug for diagnostics)

over here 'superchips' offer a chip for £399 ($~800) but i dont know of anyone who has had it.

jago

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
legend89chopped said:
It's OBD 1.
i<3mylegend said:
yup obd-1.
^^^ I'd have to agree with the above replies :yes: ...you fellas forgetting that OP's inquiry was for a 1990LS model, in which the OBD-I was utilized!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Really? I always thought that OBD I had a port like old Explorers, etc....I thus thought that early Honda PGM-FI cars with an ECU like ours was OBD-0....interesting...learn something new everyday I guess :D
If you are referring to that plug you used the "breakout box" Ford tool with, what a brain-fart that thing was! I used to work for Ford, and I hated diagnosing anything with that crappy system.

But yeah, it's all considered OBD1. There were no rules for the OBD systems then, so different manufacturers did it their own way. Ford had that plug, some Hondas you short out 2 wires under the passenger dash to make the engine light flash out your code, while our legends use that window on the ECU. When OBD2 came out, the government said that all the diag plugs had to be the same, had to be located in a certain area, and even that most powertrain-related codes be universal across different makes of vehicle. This keeps car manufacturers from designing electronics that can only be diagnosed by their dealerships, which would suck. But anyway, this is why a cheap diagnostics reader from AutoZone will at least give you a code, but wont tell you exactly what it means until you look at the manufacturer's code descriptions. Other readers require purchasing software from the manufacturer, so you can see the complete code description, and sometimes even some diagnostic help on the reader/laptop itself.

That's about all the info I got in my noodle on that one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Threw the years different manufactures adapted the diagnostic port to different vehicles, some OBD 1 vehicles have the port while others just have the blinking light.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.