Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my ECU back tonite w/the upgraded chip (stage II), put it in, and my car is doing all kinds of crazy stuff now. Check engine light stays on as well as the TCS light (I figure this is probably the same problem). It's idling funny...kinda surging...like it doesn't know how much air to pull in. I drove it around the block to see if all this was due to it sitting for 2 weeks and then I noticed when the car hits 4000 RPMs, it starts jerking. This happens in ALL gears. It won't go past 4000!?!?!?

Anyone else had any similar problems? I know David (Dmenn) mentioned his check engine light stayed on after getting his back and he had to ship it back to PPP. David, what's the word? Did you get it back yet?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Man, you guys are freaking me out as I live in Canada and it cost like $50.00 shipping each way. I would hate for this to happen and with my luck I know it will.
Let me know if you guys find out a fix.
Good Luck:(

·
Registered
282 Posts
Shad - The problems you describe are EXACTLY the same that I had. The idle was surging all over the place, and then eventually started to settle down. I didn't bring it out on the roads, but I drove it through my parking garage, and when I hit around 4000 rpm, it felt like I hit fuel cut, and the car would just come to a stop almost.

I don't have TCS so I can't relate to that one, but my check engine light stayed on all the time. I tried to pull the code from the ECU by shorting the testing plug and the light still stayed solid (which I think means bad ECU).

I sent mine in like a week and a half ago and I'm still waiting to hear back. They were supposed to have it fixed by Mon. or Tues. and then shipping it back out to me. Here is what was wrong with mine, and if you could check yours, I would really appreciate it, because they said what happened to mine wasn't caused by the work they did with the chip.

Open up the top of the ECU - There should be 5 phillips screws there and they shouldn't be on too tight. Once you pull off the cover, you'll see the Bayou Stage II chip in one corner of the circuit board. Look VERY closely around the chip and let me know if you see anything that looks burnt or if there are any traces on the circuit board that look like they're not connected to anything. After I saw my check engine light I pulled the ECU and the cover, and I noticed that one of the traces on the circuit board was not connected to anything, and it was lifted up off the board, almost as if too much current was going through it. They said whatever they did wouldn't have caused it, and all I did was plug the stupid thing in and start the car up, so I know I didn't cause it either. Either way, they're not charging me to make the fix. They're fixing the wire, but they don't guarantee that this is going to be the solution to the problem (IT better be!)

Call them up ASAP today and explain to them your problem and then get back to me and let me know what they say and what your ECU chip looks like .. I'm interested to see if you had the same problem I did .. Sounds like it could be the installer or the actual chip, but who knows! Mostly everyone else hasn't had any problems.

Good luck ..

-Dave

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Did you or Dave try to plug the original ECU chip back in to see if the problem was caused by the performance chip?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried plugging the original chip back in yet as I decided to wait for some daylight before messing with it further. I think Dave did though and his check engine light stayed on.

Dave, first thing after work today, I'll open mine up and look for anything that looks similar to what you described. I'll let you know...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mike - Yes, I pulled out the performance chip and replaced it with the Stock chip, and I still got the check engine light. I can almost guarantee it had nothing to do with the chip, but the job soldering the socket in. It looked to me like a wire shorted and fried a connection on the circuit board. Still waiting to hear back from PPP about the stauts.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Guys. I'm going to sticky this for a while. If Bayou is having quality control problems, people should be aware of it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
man! i hope i don't have this problem. now i'm gettin second thoughts. i guess it's too late since they have my ecu already. i'll keep you guys posted when i get mine back.
-j

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just put my stock chip back in the ECU, started up my car, and she is back to normal! What a relief!!! :D Now I just have to send the Bayou chip back for them to re-program. Hopefully, I won't have to send my entire ECU back. If so, PPP is paying for overnight delivery both ways cuz I can't do without my car for another week or two.

I know others have had this chip upgraded with no problems, so that's the only consoling factor in all this. What's the longest anyone has had the chip? Any problems at all? Or are Dave and I the first to go through this?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This is NOT Good!!!

Why does **** like this always happen when you least expect it. The Stage 2 upgrade was something I always wanted to do (since you guys made it sound like it was the best thing since sliced bread) but now that I bought the chip and installed it, I start reading all these horror stories! I better take my car for a spin and see if it acts up or not. The last thing I need is to loose my summer ride because of some half-ass company trying to screw people over...

·
an older member
112 Posts
Shad & dmenn -

Don't know if you guys ever got any satisfaction with Bayou but, now that the Gen II FAQ are back on line, I was perusing the Bayou postings and remembered why I had tried a Powerchip instead. What I didn't remember is that the problems/symptoms I experienced with Powerchip were exactly the same as your problems with the Bayou. FYI what I wrote on this subject, below, appears in the thread "The Powerchip Group: +23bhp". Guess maybe we weren't meant to re-chip our Legends.

- geez

Lee (and the rest of you guys who might be interested) -

I finally did try the Powerchip Gold in my '94 Legend LS Coupe with auto tranny, RM Racing intake and 2 1/2" Stromung catback exhaust, ecu code 37820-PX9-L67 (originally a California car). Pulled out my ecu and sent it to Powerchip in Santa Monica while I was out of town on business. Reinstalled it when I returned. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

The "check engine" light came on immediately and stayed on as did the "TCS" light. The TCS "Active" light would no longer light momentarily when starting and the TCS switch and indicator light on the dash would no longer function. At about 4100 RPM, power would cut out like it had a rev limiter and the "D4" tranny indicator light would start to flash until I'd shut the engine off and re-start it. I understand this is all part of a "limp home" mode when things go bat sh*t with your engine management. Fortunately, Powerchip had sent along my "original" chip which I plugged in and everything returned to normal.

Powerchip went back to the drawing board, comparing my original program to theirs and enlisting the help of their experts down under with their experience on Honda Legends. They then sent me a second chip which, unfortunately, behaved just like the first. They say they've successfully chipped a Legend or two out in California that did work, but mine doesn't.

I must admit that through it all they were professional and pleasant to deal with and, except for my time spent crawling around on the passenger side floor, the experience ended up costing me nothing. (I had originally gone to them based on both their US and Australian web sites, and some bad vibes I had picked up on this forum about Bayou's customer service.)

Only one thing still confuses me. They maintained that the TCS system had nothing to do with their chip. Yet it acted as described, above, with both their chips and worked just fine with mine. With all three chips, I'd hook up all four plugs to the ecu and operate the car without hooking up whatever the box is that's on the bottom of the floor plate that covers the whole shebang. (I did find out the air conditioner won't work with that box unplugged, but it was just one more thing to have to mess with while seeing how the chips worked. And, besides, the original chip worked just fine with that box disconnected. Now, however, everything is hooked back up and the carpet is back in place.)

They say they'll contact me down the road if they discover what the problem might be. Meanwhile, I'm just as happy not having to disembowel the passenger side floor to get to the ecu. I must admit the tips in this forum were invaluable in helping me get the ecu out in the first place. Thanks, guys!

- geez

·
Legend Almn
371 Posts
The d4 flashing and the check engien light coming on was happeneing to me also, but I had fixed that problem with the speed sensor, and reset the ECU and now everything's normal, but it seems as though my car isnt moving like its suppose to though as far as it was. Maybe I should give them a call tomorrow. The check engien is not coming on and the D4 is not flashing anymore. It seems as though its fixed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah...I sent the chip back in and PPP sent me another one which worked! I was very worried though by the way he treated me...like it was my fault. Thankfully everything worked out for me.

·
K L E A N M O D™
5,267 Posts
I have an auto 95 L and my idle is sorta wierd since I put the chip in. Like if you first start the car and let it sit to "warm up" the engine slightly revs by itself.

I never had the check engine light or anyother red flags thrown at me from the ECU, but it seems as if the RPM's when @ 80 MPH just slowly move from the 4000 mark. i's like the 4000 RPM mark is all the power she has. Granted that I really dont need to be going faster than 75 MPH anywhere :D but can this be a problem?

IMO the Chip in conjunction w/ CAI & Exhaust are the BEST preformance mods you can do the the Legend.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your symptons sounded very similar to mine. The problem was that when they were installing the new chip, they pulled a couple solder traces off the board, and then they blamed me as if I pulled them off! This was the cause of my check engine light. Once those traces were repaired, then it worked as it should (at least I think).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Guys Guys Guys Should have came to me for the chips

Guys Guys Guys

I think you sould have came to me on the bayou chips. It would have cost alot less and 100% warrenty not to D.O.A. I know what they did wrong. When they took the OEM chip off they broken one of the wires that connect to the chip that's why your having that problem. Sorry to say but you have to get a new ecu. If you still got the chip and willing to go buy a new ECU. I am willing to install it for you guys for a small labor price and shipping \. I done more than 30 ECU and i know what to look for and what not to do. Please let me know if i can help.

Here is my e-mail

[email protected]

Thanks

·
K L E A N M O D™
5,267 Posts
Re: Guys Guys Guys Should have came to me for the chips

Got2Lovme9 said:
Guys Guys Guys

I think you sould have came to me on the bayou chips. It would have cost alot less and 100% warrenty not to D.O.A. I know what they did wrong. When they took the OEM chip off they broken one of the wires that connect to the chip that's why your having that problem. Sorry to say but you have to get a new ecu. If you still got the chip and willing to go buy a new ECU. I am willing to install it for you guys for a small labor price and shipping \. I done more than 30 ECU and i know what to look for and what not to do. Please let me know if i can help.

Here is my e-mail

[email protected]

Thanks
I'm one of the 30 who brought the chip from you.. Heres what i'm experiencing...

"I have an auto 95 L and my idle is sorta wierd since I put the chip in. Like if you first start the car and let it sit to "warm up" the engine slightly revs by itself.

I never had the check engine light or any other red flags thrown at me from the ECU, but it seems as if the RPM's when @ 80 MPH just slowly move from the 4000 mark. i's like the 4000 RPM mark is all the power she has. Granted that I really dont need to be going faster than 75 MPH anywhere but can this be a problem?"

I just wanted to know why it was doing this....

It seems like all the chip does is fool the car to beleive it running in D3 all the time....so in D4 when the car has use of the full power band it pulls alot harder. Now to thoes w/ the the chip drive in D3 and youll be all

:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
TI

I think your looking at a Bayou chip problem. My car does the same thing I can't look at the software but i am getting closer to looking in to the software. If the check engine don't come on than you got a good chip that's the only way i know who to tell. Does your car have TCS ?

·
K L E A N M O D™
5,267 Posts
Got2Lovme9 said:
TI

I think your looking at a Bayou chip problem. My car does the same thing I can't look at the software but i am getting closer to looking in to the software. If the check engine don't come on than you got a good chip that's the only way i know who to tell. Does your car have TCS ?
nah no TCS... so your saying that your car does the same thing? If you ever do figure out how to fix the problem let me know. I'll send you back the ECU you chipped for me to fix it.

BTW, The ecu you sent me was the exact # match of my OEM ECU..:bowdown: :D :2cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts