Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem: there seems to be some electrical crosstalk between the right turn signal light and the horn. When I press the horn button, the right turn signal also turns on.
Also, when the car is running and I activate the right turn signal, the horn beeps once. Strangely, this does not occur when the engine is not running (but the ignition key is still in the run position). Any ideas for this madness? I was checking my service manual, and one place where those two functions can interfere is the cable reel in the steering wheel - does this sound likely?

Thanks for your ideas

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
Yes, one of the reason could be the well known Cable Reel or Clockspring.

Our Clockspring is the wiring harness that runs the 'Horn', 'Airbag', and 'Cruise/Radio Switches' behind your steering wheel. It's the reel of wires that connects the airbag and steering wheel controls through the steering column and it´s called a clockspring, bc it allows your wheel to turn many times without scrambling the wires.

oem said:
Strangely, this does not occur when the engine is not running (but the ignition key is still in the run position).
When the engine is not runing, then you also get no IGN power. In other words: The Horns working too when the IGN is Off. But the Turn signals running only when IGN is On.

Ok, here my ideas...

Check The Cable Reel
1st: What you can do is to check your Audio/Cruise switch of proper functions. I know that sounds kinda stupid, but I wanna know whether both switches working proper. Just bc they are also connected inside the cable reel. Just a thought, you know?

2nd: Inside the steering wheel, to be exact: Behind the Airbag, there are 2 cables (Red & Black) on the top. These both cables are for the horn. Check for continuty between the Horn Positive (Red) terminal and the Steering Shaft (Ground) while the Horn Switch pressed. There should be continuity !

There is another way to check the Cable Reel. There is the 7-Pin Main Connector along the steering Column. Presupposed you have that spec Test Harness Connector (10 pin). But not everyone have that (me too). So then we have no other way to check it like the normal standard methode. That means... Take out the Airbag from the steering wheel. You know how it works? Look here... Steering Wheel Removal. Here you will find all pics and infos you need. So if you decide to remove it: Be relaxed, it looks more complex than it is or described. -Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I scheduled an appointment with my dealer to have it looked at, but wouldn't you know it, just as I'm about to bring it in, the problem has disappeared. In any case, if they are able to find something, I will post the info.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
problem solved

I was able to diagnose the problem myself using the service manual. To recap, functions of the right side horn, headlight, turn signal, and indicator light were mixed - for example, turning the right turn signal on caused the right headlight to flash instead.
The problem was due to a bad ground that all these functions shared. When I found the location (on the passenger side next to fender), I cleaned the area and tightened the nut, and the problem went away (I was able to recreate the problem by disconnecting the ground)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.