Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some troubleshooting advice on my 1990 acura legend L coupe, car battery dead this morning so replaced it only to find the brake lights on the car lit up even when ignition is turned off or on, tried turning ignition on and off, disconnected battery twice,:wtf: pulled every fuse on the fuse panel lights still staying on, only way to make them go out is to disconnect the battery wire. has anyone ever heard of this happening what could be causing this? cannot drive it like this and I dont want to drain my new battery...

any help would be much appreciated.......thanks

·
-------------------------
1,983 Posts
I don't think the main relay is the culprit as that only controls power to the fuel pump...

Sounds like its a problem with your brake light switch. If you look upwards under the driver's dash at the brake pedal, there should be a little push switch. When it's in (when the brake pedal is released), the brake lights are off, when its out, the lights are on. Yours could have come loose and is not contacting properly or the switch itself could have broken. Our brake lights don't need the ignition to be on to light up.

A quick temporary fix that may work is to glue a penny to the brake pedal contact that pushes in the switch. Sometimes the little extra thickness from the penny pushes the switch in far enough to have it cut off the lights. Otherwise your best bet is a junkyard or the dealer for a replacement switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank ya'll so much! I'll let you know if it works or not.

ok i went and looked and I see where the brake pedal has an extension that pushes into the center of a spring like thing with black rubber on it about 2.5 inches in diameter, is this a pushbutton or switch that your talking about????

·
because i can.
10,426 Posts
Yeah your brake lights are staying on because that little plug on the brake pedal has either broken, fallen out, or both....

Temporary replacement (or permanent) could be a carriage bolt or a plastic clip from behind the door panel...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi:

The brake light switch has a small center piece that pushes on the contact. The switch can get stuch in the closed position. The test would be to unhook the connector that goes to the brake switch. You have to do a little digging to get to it. The connector has a little tab that has to be depressed to get the connector off of the swiitch. I would bet that removing the connector will make the lights go out.

Don't get overly frustrated trying to get to the switch and the connector it is a little tough to do. I just did this on Ophidians car.

Dave

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
You're in good hands here Acuragirl90 ;) ...welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10-4 guys, problem solved, found the contact that the brake pedal touches that is hooked up to the threaded shaft that the brake light switch assembly and switch is on. there was a nut that can be loosened, unplug switch and then turn until desired position is reached then tighten nut, or like you said, put a shim on the brake pedal and the contact will be pushed. you all saved me a pricy repair bill because i'm sure a mechanic would have replaced the whole switch, assembly, etc. and charged me two or three hours labor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.