Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've been experiencing some intermitten nonstarts that have been occuring more recently. They usually occur after it the car has been warm for a while or while it has been sitting in the sun all day(not sure if coincidence). It will try to start but I am getting no spark. Battery is good. New spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap and rotor. The check engine light comes on if I leave the key in the running slot while it is not running but I think this is just the test- there were no LED codes from the ECU.
This has happened to me twice this week but each time I came back later in the day and the car started without any problem at all. I am thinking it may be the solenoid, ECU, or programed fuel injection unit. This problem is hard for me to pin point becuase it only happens sometimes. I even tried using a hair dryer on the suspect components to try to reproduce conditions ... ahhh but to no avail. Anybody know what this problem is or what is the most common part to fail in the electrical system? Also, is their another way I can troubleshoot if it occurs again? All input is appriciated...

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you haven't replaced the main relay, that is a very common problem in the G1 Legend. Had mine replaced when the car sat in the hot sun all day and then not start. It started fine when cooled off. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... so you replaced the Fuel Injection Relay? Where is this located?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, would the failure of this relay cause there to be no spark?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Are you sure there is no spark?
I don't think the Fuel Injector relay would cause it to have no spark. If there isn't any spark, I would suspect the distributor or maybe a different relay.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The fuel relay and main relay are 2 different parts. When I replaced the main relay, my car would crank but not run. If you have no spark, is it like a dead battery where it just clicks?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
My 90L Coupe does this sometimes too, I haven't fixed it yet because I don't know which relay or what is causing the problem. Sometimes when it gets too cold or too warm I suspect, you turn the key and you hear a "click"... but no crank. Try and try again and nothing, usually after the 4th or 7th time it will fire up. Weird... only happens sometimes, not too often. The latest problem with the G1, is that *sometimes* when you turn it on, the RPMs fall and the car turns off. I turn it on, give it a little gas, and it's fine after that... :confused:

·
Registered
703 Posts
If a car isn't getting spark, the engine turns over, but no spark gets to the spark plugs, so the engine doesn't start. If that's the case, the fuel injector relay wouldn't have anything to do with it because that controls the fuel that is going into the engine. If the FI relay is starting to go out, when it gets hot, the relay won't give the injectors any power, thus not getting any fuel into the engine. If the engine isn't turning over at all and no power is getting to the car, I would suspect a Main relay or a battery problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know about the cost, but they should be either in the fuse box under the hood or the one in the driver's kick panel.
They're probably around 15 bucks a piece from Acura.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The main relay sends power to the fuel pump and the ECU,
you could have no fuel and or no spark(the ECU controls the ignitor)Its under dash on drivers side.its the relay that clicks when you turn the key on (when check eng light goes off after 2 seconds)if its bad it may not be clicking now.Its got a black housing 1in by 3in ,brown where the connector plugs in . its mounted with one 10mm bolt.if its acting up give it a smack,most times it will start.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Battery is good, starter works but there is no ignition of the fuel because there is no sparks... I pulled off one of the spark plug wires and put an old spark plug on it. I grounded it and then had a freind try to start the car.. no spark.
I just looked in the fuse box under the hood and inside. The inside has no relays. The fuse box under the hood has windows, ABS, lighting, and one other relay- no main relay or anything. There are some relays located under the left side of the dash- one of them is the Starter relay. Is the relay there? Thanks.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tubby, I just went and looked at the dash relay holder. I saw 6 relays. One was black and about 1x3 inches but it was the flasher. The other 5 were smaller- the same size as the ones under the hood. I hear the sound from turning the key but I can isolate it. Doesn't the key make more than one relay click? I turned off my radio and climate control device. It is so tight in there. I don't see the 10mm bolt either. Do I have to remove any parts to see the main relay? Do you know if it is different in different trim levels? How about different years?

Also, if the main relay went bad would the starter work?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
427 Posts
hmmmm what kind of sound do you hear because it sound familiar to a problem i had with my legend. My car would start fine sometimes and once in a while when i off the car and come back get a click click when i try to start my car. I got my starter rebuild and now i don't get that problem anymore. good luck

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The starter will work. I just want to know where the main relay is. I found the circuit that the main relay is on in the repair manual but I've looked in there 5 times now and can't see it. Do I have to take anything apart to get to it? Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
My 90L Coupe does this sometimes too, I haven't fixed it yet because I don't know which relay or what is causing the problem. Sometimes when it gets too cold or too warm I suspect, you turn the key and you hear a "click"... but no crank. Try and try again and nothing, usually after the 4th or 7th time it will fire up. Weird... only happens sometimes, not too often. The latest problem with the G1, is that *sometimes* when you turn it on, the RPMs fall and the car turns off. I turn it on, give it a little gas, and it's fine after that... :confused:
On the RPMs falling and car shutting off thing, that might be a vacuum leak somewhere, vacuum leaks can cause tons of problems with your idle, you might want to look over your manifold and check your hoses

·
Registered
293 Posts
The main relay is under the dash on driver side. Looking at the Helm manual (p. 23-8), there is a large collection of electrical components and relays all mounted in one area - under the L air vent. The main relay is rectangular, mounted lieing down, on the right front side of the collection of components.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts