Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Has anyone ever changed theres? If so, at what mileage and how often? [doubt it's very often, unless you drove with it enabled]
2. Is it just any brake shoe or is it some specialized honda brake shoe?
3. Would the signs of the brake shoe failing be similar to brake drums, in that it would make more of a metal contact sound after it has been engaged and the car moves a bit? Or the only sure way is to take the rotor off or what?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Greetings asianlegend

I have changed mine (95 LS 6 speed coupe) at 132k miles and got them through featherstone auto (trak auto knockoff) so they are not dealer specific. The were bendix.

There appeared to be enough meat on the shoes, but I did the whole spring kit thing. Fortunately I have not need the e-brake for any other reason than parking.

I would say that if you begin to notice your car move (gravity) when the ebrake is applied to a point where you know there is sufficient leverage and pressure to keep the vehicle planted, then its time to take a look see. BTW - the vehicle should be imoble at 6 to 8 up clicks on the e-brake (so you may need to adjust the tensioner thing o ma bob). Mine didn't make a metal to metal sound when it moved - just more of a muffled fart sound.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jrock7791 said:
Never done it but now I will. Since you told me they exsist!!
Not sure if the JDM version uses this method OR if it only exists in the USDM version. It surprised me that Acura would do this, I've never heard of a car of this caliber doing that.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, look at this problem from a different perspective.

The idea is that if you loose the operation of your disc brakes (master cylinder craps the bed, didn't tighten that last bleeder bolt well enough, or just have a tear in your fluid line) and you are heading for danger - you can utilze your manual (cable type) emergency brake (lever) to stop your vehicle.

Because your rear rotors are half rotor and half drum, IMHO I would say this is definitely the sign of a quality (high caliber) vehicle.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KNLNGUS said:
... you are heading for danger - you can utilze your manual (cable type) emergency brake (lever) to stop your vehicle.
Couldn't you do this anyhow, even if you use a disc brake pad for the emergency brake? I know that when my friend's Prelude master cylinder died, he could still use the emergency brake and his was a disc pad instead of a brake shoe? Perhaps, I am misunderstanding your point, since the disc pad is also tied to a cable that can be tensioned and so forth just like a regular brake shoe.

Because your rear rotors are half rotor and half drum, IMHO I would say this is definitely the sign of a quality (high caliber) vehicle.
The rotors in our vehicle, especially in the rear are no different than most rotors on the inside where the shoe is located at. So, any vehicle could employ this method if a drum assembly were inside. I assume there are 2 shoes, for left and right?

Plus, does Acura (or Honda) employ this method on any other model after the Legend? I haven't heard or seen of it so far. Maybe the RL (G3 Legend)?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ah grasshopper, you are right.

The front brakes and rear brakes are not linked via the master cylinder (on the lude) and this is why your friend was able to use the ebrake to stop the vehicle. So basically, the rear stopping power is cable driven and a cable is used under all circumstances including ebraking. Now, on our application... the booster assisted master cylinder (in conjunction with the ABS) applies pressure to the fronts and rear (gets more complicated if you have TCS) and the ebrake is a totally seperate means of stopping the vehicle. Redundant (and independent) is better than the lude application.

Yes, there are two sets of shoes (2 in the left - 2 in the right) and every rotor would be different in that the inside is thicker that a normal rotor and also the drum brake hub is completely a different animal.

Gotta jet - but other can elaborate.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just discovered that my brakeshoes for the emergency brake are worn almost to nothing? Advance auto parts say they can't get them so they must be purchased from the dealer! Is that true or is there somewhere online I can get them from?:(

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
legend4life95 said:
I just discovered that my brakeshoes for the emergency brake are worn almost to nothing? Advance auto parts say they can't get them so they must be purchased from the dealer! Is that true or is there somewhere online I can get them from?:(
Call Acura of Augusta. Mention you are from the forums and in most cases get a part for 20-50% off the MSRP.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
legend4life95 said:
Your guy at Advance should be fired. Go to advance auto parts.com and look up parking brake shoes for the Legend. It will tell you that ANY advance can have you a set on site withing 2 days. I use advance for all my little stuff, they are suppose to be better than this. I would print out the page from the web site and take it back. Ask to see the manager and show them you were lied too! Sorry, but that stuff pissed me off. This is a classic example of an employee not willing to do the proper work, so business is lost. If my employees did this they would be gone! Maybe that is why I only have 3 employees:D !
Later!
Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts