Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question, but what is the main purpose of an engine on a car and the tranny? Like what are some things that each one is responsible for. I just wanna get a clear understanding on what each one does.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Engine = The power of the car, when fuel and air mix into the cylinder, the spark provided by the spark plug causes an explosion. This explosion moves the piston attached to the crankshaft. Basically this is where the power to move your car is born.

Transmission = The transmission uses different "gears" to transfer the power of the engine into the wheels (along with the torque converter). Each gear will allow another use full engine revolutions. That's why having more gears is usually better, the engine gets to rev all over again.

I hope this is what you wanted when you asked, you can get a lot of info off a site like HowStuffWorks.Com with pictures and the works

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Triton3K said:
This might be a stupid question, but what is the main purpose of an engine on a car and the tranny? Like what are some things that each one is responsible for. I just wanna get a clear understanding on what each one does.
not a stupid question...but I think you had another motive, didn't you?

free post, heh?
lol

Its all good...there is no such thing as a stupid question...least thats what I tell my employees :p

·
2,879 Posts
Autoshop??? DAmn i wish they had that in my HS.

Dave C ver2.0 said:
Time for autoshop 101. Do they still have autoshop in high school?;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
They had it at mine. I was just too stupid to realize how important it was at the time. Now I'm learning everything the hard way - through manuals.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We didn't have autoshop out here in my school, but this is my first car and i'm just trying to learn basic things about it. I've really just kinda grew into getting to know about cars more than before and sometimes I just have questions and might know the answer but i'll come to you guys just to confirm it since most of you guys know alot.

Hey Future thanks for that information and it's kinda what I was thinking but wasnt too sure and thought maybe it was much more to it which there definately is but you broke it down to the simpleist form. I really appreciate it bro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts