Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm ignorant, I don't know. I can't seem to find any capcity info for things like the radiator, transmission (filter & torque converter). i already know about engine oil. I'm going to flush and fill my radiator myself this time, and don't want to mess anything up. I need info like how to get the proper ratio of coolant to water. I also bought a full case of Honda ATF for a FULL tranny service, and was wondering was 12 qts. enough for the new filter, TC, and the tranny itself or do I need more. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Daryll

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Well, my owner's manual is in the car, and it's 19 degrees outside with the wind chill. :eek2:

But I do have my Chilton's. These may help others too.

Engine Oil: 4.8 quarts w/filter, 4.2 w/o filter

Auto Transmission Fluid: 3.5 quarts (may hold more)

Manual Transmission Fluid (5-speed): 2.4 quarts

Differential: 1.1 quarts

Coolant: 8.0 quarts

As far as mixing the coolant goes, you can get a 50/50 premix at Honda/Acura dealerships. Honda coolant is the BEST way to go. If you don't get it premixed, then just mix it in an empty, clean bottle. Measure half water, half antifreeze, then add to car. Repeat till full.

For the auto tranny, there still may be a lot left in the system.

EDIT: Looked in owner's manual and made corrections.

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys. what i meant by complete was when most people flush and fill their trannys, they tend forget about their torque converter and tranny filter, which adds more qts. to the total mix. the sad thing is they dont have that info in my haynes manual or owner's manual. that book is worthless IMHO. i tried researching it on here, but to no avail.

Daryll

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Well, don't forget that there is a ton of fluid still left in the torque converter and hoses and tranny that doesn't come out.
So unless you have just put your tranny in your car and it is bone dry, you will never need to worry about the total amount of fluid.
If you're just draining and filling, then follow the manuals.

· Registered
162 Posts
manual tranny capacity is wrong......

Should be: 2.4 QT MTF
Differential should be: 1.2 QT 80W90 oil. Chilton is a crapper about these things. Luckily, I was draining and filling my 98 Camry with an Auto Tranny and it said to use like 5 qt ATF.....good thing I didn't it only took like 3.2 QT (owners manual confirmed this too). They also doubled my diff capacity (it took less than 1 qt and chilton said 2.3 or something like that).
Chilton should fix that..........
Good thing all of above except the auto tranny fill on my 98 camry is a fill until it comes out the hole type fill. But I was careful not to overfill my camry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.