Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of a problem with my 91 L coupe Auto.. I have this random clicking sound somewhere in the engine - It doesn't do it all the time or even every time I start the car. I heard after maybe an hour of driving when I stopped at Taco Bell, a couple times in the morning when I started it (but it wasn't cold outside), and one or two other times. I can only hear it at low RPMs - like when it idles or when I rev it in first gear or park. The sound increases in speed as the engine revs up. Has anyone has this problem and can anyone offer me suggestions? Thanks..

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
91coupe said:
I'm having a bit of a problem with my 91 L coupe Auto.. I have this random clicking sound somewhere in the engine - It doesn't do it all the time or even every time I start the car. I heard after maybe an hour of driving when I stopped at Taco Bell, a couple times in the morning when I started it (but it wasn't cold outside), and one or two other times. I can only hear it at low RPMs - like when it idles or when I rev it in first gear or park. The sound increases in speed as the engine revs up. Has anyone has this problem and can anyone offer me suggestions? Thanks..
For the first time, I would say, that it´s coming from the valves. But our Legends have an automatic adjusting valves, called "Hydro valves self adjusting", whereby this has no maintenance. The next idea could be (hope not!), that you have (ONLY A IDEA!) a problem with your pistons, but this sounds like "klack klack klack" and not "click click". Sorry, but I don´t know, what else it could be. Very strange...
Mike / Cologne (Germany)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is a typical hydraulic lifter noise, a ticking or clicking that is heard at idle and speeds up with engine....while it is true, as Mike D. notes, that they do not require adjustment (self adjusting), they can wear or become plugged up and not fully pump up or retain the oil in them that dampens the noise and maintains the adjustment....think of them as minishocks...a piston inside another oil filled piston. If the bore wears out it won't maintain pressure due to excess clearance...with intermittent noise like yours is (and most do this), it is likely occasionally sticking due to gum, dirt and varnish....Try a can of CD2 in the oil, Rislone makes a detergent similar.....these additives can dissolve the gum and crap and eliminate sticky lifters due to dirt/varnish....should see improvement in 1000 miles or so if it is going to work. If this doesn't work, you need to identify which one is problematic and replace....determine which bank of cylinders is noisy using stethoscope, long screwdriver or even hose and zero in on where to start. Then remove the valve cover and see which one is noisy using same technique.... replacement of one is not hard, but do not mix up lifters or rocker arms, this is not good! When replacing lifter you need to prime the new one in oil to fill it first, then keep vertical so it doesn't leak out. Try the CD2, it will likely help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help - Lots of good info. Should I have Grease Monkey put the can of CD2 in when I get my oil changed?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
just get a pint at the auto parts store and drop it in anytime and run for at least 1000 miles before changing oil, I doubt the grease monkey quick change place will have it, and if they do they will double the price.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: OT Taco Bell

91coupe said:
...I stopped at Taco Bell ....
Just FYI, Taco Bell uses meat that is grade F.
That's lower than what dog food is.

Just food for thought :D - pardon the pun, couldn't resist it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I eat at Taco Bell alot... That really sucks! Is it true?

Back on topic, my old G1 Legend used to have the exact same problem you are describing. I have heard that the G1 Legends are very prone to this, but I rarely hear of lifter/valve problems with G2 Legends. You can also try using other engine additives such as Marvel Mystery Oil and other oil detergant types. These products did NOT help my G1, but then again it had 200k miles on it!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
hmm i know trans flushes are bad, but anyone done a engin flush? Any way, i want to hear from some one who has done either one, but more curious about the trannie flush. Makes sense that it may clog up the trannie, but why does the dealer recomend it? My bro did his on his Corolla with 160k on it, no problems..... I want to do mine, although there arn't any shifting problems. UGH just OCD i guess.... :p --=Keith

·
Registered
314 Posts
Keith,

Doing an engine flush is risky, as it a) could dislodge deposits and make things worse like clogging a lifter and b) cause oil leaks in a higher mileage engine.

I bought my Legend with 98K miles on it, the original owners used cheap conventional oil (but changed it regularly). I was tempted to do a flush since I wanted to run synthetic Mobil one,
but since the car runs fine and has no leaks, I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I'm running Valvoline Durablend, part convential part synthetic, it's 1/2 the price of Mobil 1 and the engine doesn't seem to be using any between 3K mile oil changes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back to Taco Bell, the grade F meat tastes like heaven compared to dorm food at CU :(... I think they just grab carp and geese from the pond and make some sort of mystery meat.

I'm getting the additive tomorrow, so I'll give it a week or so and then post back with an update to see if it worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts