Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine fan turns on and off with a mind of its own. The fan turns on and off seamingly irrespective of engine temperature - even when the car has sat for hours it will occasionally turn on, run for a few seconds, turn off, turn on. etc. I have never had a problem with it not turning on when the engine is hot - it has never overheated or ran too hot. It only seems to have a problem by turning on when it doesnt need too. Seems like some sensor must be acting up. Any ideas? Possibly the radiator fan temperature sensor?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had a problem like this when I had over heating and ended up getting a new radiator. The mechanic told me there may have been a problem with the sensor which was why my car overheated, which was also why my radiator blew. I would have someone that's good with rads check you out. Holla!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine fan problem

Anyone else out there with intermittent radiator fan coming on and off at odd times even when the engine has been parked and cold? I know this thread has been asked before but I never saw any resolution to this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Then you guys didn't look too hard or long; the new FAQ and the old original FAQ addresses this and lots more common problems, and is a real good resource to start with.

There's a lot of posts on this 'ghost fan problem', and with the answer, too. And with respect to PSA, the problem is not the FCU (Fan Control Unit), but rather the FTU (Fan Timer Unit), which is near the ECU (under the carpet in the footwell on the passenger side in coupes, and under the front passenger seat, I think, on sedans).

What has caused the confusion, I think, is that the FCU and FTU are seperate components in the G1, but are combined into a single 'black box' on the G2s.

This symptom causes a problem only if the passenger side fan (condenser fan) switches on and stays on for an extended period of time while just sitting parked, which, of course, causes the battery to drain and then fail to start later.

FCU failure, however, simply does not allow the cooling fans to switch on at all, causing the engine to overheat while moving at a slow speed or stuck in traffic (except if you turn on the A/C, which overrides and forces the fans to kick on).

My FTU does the occassional 'ghost fan' thing when the engine is first started on cold mornings, but only for a few seconds.

My FCU is relatively new, and was replaced after I finally figured out that it was causing my engine overheating problems.

Replace with new one or re-solder cracked solder joints. If feeling lucky, visit a junkyard, but a lot of legends wind up there because the owner's mechanic did not know what or where an FTU or FCU was.

EDIT: Geez, I just answered a thread that goes back to '02??? Well, I guess that explains a few things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.