Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SDS kit came last night, and I have my work cut out for me. This system is so friggin cool, I can't wait for the weekend to start on it.

Everything is adjustable from base timing according to RPM, timing curves for load and boost, fuel trim adjustment, everything! It's gonna be soooo sweeet when I can open my hood, and all the black boxes, useless wiring, relays and crap are all gone!

So who wants to help me hook all this up? lol

And I didn't want to set up a poll, but who wants to see a D.I.Y. for this when I'm done? There's a few things that are gonna be tricky, but this can be installed on almost any engine, and it really doesn't seem as bad as I thought after reading through the manual.

Attachments

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Noice, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to mount magnets around the crank pulley, after machining holes, after measuring every 120 deg. exactly, after scribing a perfect circle from the centerline..... it's all coming back to me now.

Anyway, I just got done drilling the holes, and the manual tells me to use 5-minute epoxy to hold the magnets in the hole. I just thought it was funny.

Now I'm fabricating a bracket for the crank sensor, and I'm having too much fun. It's definitely getting done this weekend if I can manage the work hours. The injectors just arrived, too, and that was all that was left to get after this kit....

well, that and a turbo:rofl:

·
Registered
156 Posts
intresting, i'm using this set-up

does exactly the same but i'm using the orignal engine position sensors and inlet control solenoids.

it's a lot of fun going diy stand-alone ecu

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does exactly the same but i'm using the orignal engine position sensors and inlet control solenoids.
I couldn't find much info on that thing. Does it also have separate timing curves for load and boost? And do you need a laptop with that? Mine uses it's own programmer with no other equipment needed, and I'm curious as to how that one does.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I couldn't find much info on that thing. Does it also have separate timing curves for load and boost? And do you need a laptop with that? Mine uses it's own programmer with no other equipment needed, and I'm curious as to how that one does.
it has seperate 3d maps for fuel and ign, also switchable for boost/nos etc...

i want for the cheep option and use the laptop, i may get the screen later but i pref the laptop as it data logs on the move.

i used megasquirt on my old v8 with no issues, this is just better with sequential injection and more output controls.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i want for the cheep option and use the laptop, i may get the screen later but i pref the laptop as it data logs on the move.
The SDS will data log, just not multiple recordings, but one is all you really need. Plus it will let me make some adjustments while the engine is still running. One really cool feature is a fuel trim adjustment knob. If I look at my gauges and I'm running lean under boost, I can crank that thing over to rich, and keep drivin' until I can stop and check the map.

All things considered, I think the Canadians did pretty good on this system. Seemed like the best choice for the $$$.

·
TopGear Fanatic
1,614 Posts
Well nuts, I wish I could run over this weekend and watch you work and tell bad jokes, but I have a bunch of nasty dirty machine work to do :( Keep us updated! Can't wait to see that work of art in real life :bowdown: Possibly at NALM if not sooner?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gawd, I hope sooner. The turbo and roof should definitely be done by NALM though. I have all my parts except for the turbo, it's in shipping limbo. I ran the tracking number, and it says it's been shipped but won't show any locations or hubs that it's been to. Hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's shady, dude. Look into it. Give UPS (or the parcel carrier) a jingle.
I just did, and apparently they wanted another $66 for something. I buy a $1200 turbo and a couple of other random parts. Total receipt of over 1400, and they hold the shipment for 66. They could've just held one of the other parts, and sent the friggin turbo.

THE NAME OF THESE LOSERS IS HIMNIRACING.COM for anyone who would like bad service, bad communication, and who like a hassle, I would highly recommend them for that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
How long do you think the wiring is? where are you going to mount the controll unit? Do you think the wiring would reach to put it where the original ecu was

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those guys are great. They'll ask how long you need your harness from the engine to ECU, I got 6 feet. That's enough to put it in the original spot, but I'm putting it in the glovebox, since I'm raising that area of the floor to make room for the turbo.

(I'm assuming your ECU is in the passenger forward kick-panel also)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes it is. I have to try and hide it as they are illeagl here. Is it the same over there. So i would just have to measure the wiring loom as i think its longer than 6 feet

·
Registered
4 Posts
legend89chopped

dude, could you post some pics of your car? i always thought about chopping my '90 coupe.. do you know if they make a turbo for a '90 coupe and a '95 coupe? peace.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, just get however long you think you need. Measure from ECU to where the injector harness starts. And over here, it's legal as long at it can pass a pailpipe sniff in the emissions test.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts