Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys ... this normal?
1990 Legend .... original engine .... 127k miles .... after 5k miles the engine oil still looks like it could go another 2-3k ... im running Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w30 with a Wix filter ... how does your oil compare at 2k? 3k? 5K?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine is never black ... you can still see through it as it pours ... like maple syrup

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but at 5k miles? i seen civics and mitsubishis go just 3k and its black as the night sky

· Registered
1,693 Posts
1990Legend_LS_5spd said:
but at 5k miles? i seen civics and mitsubishis go just 3k and its black as the night sky
This depends on many factors, the main factor that changes the oil to a black color is piston ring sealing, the worse the piston ring seals the more gasoline gets mixed with the oil, this dirty's the oil faster.

Also carbon buildup is another factor.

If your oil is still gold/light brown at 3k then your engine is healthy and has been well maintained.

Also keep in mind it isnt uncommon for newer cars to have black oil at 3k since new engine's take time to break-in before they start to operate properly.

· Registered
647 Posts
Steveman09 said:
The main factor that changes the oil to a black color is piston ring sealing, the worse the piston ring seals the more gasoline gets mixed with the oil, this dirty's the oil faster.
Are there any additives or treatments that target this specific area?

· Registered
821 Posts
body9599 said:
Are there any additives or treatments that target this specific area?
I Think the higher mileage oils/additives focus on restoring rings
sometimes they help, mostly its preventitive maintenance I think.
Mobil1 supersyn higher mileage cut my oil burning in half but that might be because it was syn (doesn't burn as easy).

BP

· Registered
203 Posts
Black_Panther said:
I Think the higher mileage oils/additives focus on restoring rings
sometimes they help, mostly its preventitive maintenance I think.
Mobil1 supersyn higher mileage cut my oil burning in half but that might be because it was syn (doesn't burn as easy).

BP
I need to change my oil very, very soon.

What would you guys recommend? Some particular high-mileage brand?

TIA

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Castrol GTX High Mileage! In my opiniton ... best stuff you can buy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.