Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This problem just occurred today. While driving home, the engine began surging, almost like an unintended acceleration. The tach went up to 7000 RPM. Pulled the car over and shut it off. Started it and it redlined again. Shut it off again and restarted. This time the engine was idling normal. Drove it home and parked it in the garage. Never had this happen before and will not be using it until I can figure out the problem and get it fixed. Could the ECM be acting up?

1988 Acura Legend Sedan - 190,000 miles

Any and all input is welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
first check your vacuum lines then next check your ecu should be under your pass seat see how many times the red light blinks if your getting a code 14 check the idle air control valve located just to the right of the throttle body it has two hoses going to it and the fast isle which is below the IACV pull them both off and clean them out with some throttle body cleaner after that i would clean the throttle body and see if it is getting stuck i hope it helps the parts area are from a 2.7

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
ummm....ok don't mean to sound like an ass, but you guys he said 7000RPMS.
not 1700rpms.

if the iac gets stuck open it'll rev at least as high as 2200rpms maybe lower.
but not as high as 7000rpms.
which is the rev limiter too.

i'm leaning toward the tps sensor,ecu, then throttle body.
the ecu probably thought the tps went wot so it went 7k rpms.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
I'd do a quick check on the TW Sensor next to the thermosat. The single wire cap may have just been knocked off the sensor tip. This causes high rpm, but I've never heard of it going 7K.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
stuck throttle body?
^^^ I'm with Ken... gummed up butterfly valve perhaps, service the throttle body unit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.