Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i wash engine just like that or do i have to cover some parts ? i know that car have to be on , just don't wanna misstup something

thanX for help

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
wait

i will post an engine cleaning FAQ....

with pics

Engine must be cool, not on
Engien must have electrical comp cpvered...i.e alternator, fusebox, relays, wiring harnesses, FUSEBOX, wiring harnesses, alternator, FUSEBOX, belts, alternator, fusebox.....

stay tuned..I wil put it together when I get back home

·
Registered
575 Posts
Leon, that would be great. I would love to see a step-by-step with pics of what exactly gets covered under the engine.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how about if i want to wash evrything under hood is water can make any damage to anything if car is on ?
bc everythign is covered by dust and i want to wash it to look nice when i pup my hood up is that passible to wash this by hight pressure water ?

thanX

·
Registered
163 Posts
while egine is running?...

i do remember a few years back when i purchased my legend at the dealership they told me i could spray under the hood while the engine was running and demonstrated it right in front of me...as everything electrical under the hood is already covered. i did not experience any problems but still was kind of scared to do it myself...so i have not cleaned my engine while the car was running but i have bought engine degreaser and sprayed down the whole engine while the car was off...then just let it dry and then polish all the plastic up with armor all....leaves a nice shine...:D

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where i can buy the engine degreaser ?

ThanX

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I ended up washing my engine yesterday actually! It was covered in dust, grit and tons of coolant (from bleeding my coolant system almost everyday). Also the painted parts were covered with rustproofing goop which I wanted to get rid of now that spring is here.

Alot of you guys mention to cover electronics, but the only thing I covered was my air filter. I washed everything including wiring harness however I never used high-pressure with those and avoiding sparying my alternator. I used Simple Green and left it on my warm (not hot) engine which was off. I used a brush and scrub some parts here and there and rinsed it all off.

I did however have a bit of a problem with one of my sparks not firing when driving but that was due to a coil pack getting a little too wet, but after 10 minutes of driving it dried out and is working perfectly again.

If you guys want to leave all your plastic components and hoses with that nice shine wet look, off a Car Detailing forum I picked up a tip where you spray your engine with tire foam. That's right, the same foam you spray your tires with to give them that wet look, just spray your engine with it and she becomes beautiful!

here is a pic I took today of my clean engine:

G

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wowwwww

look like new

so did u have your car one during washing ?
you use a hight presure water ? did u use only water ?
and u didn' cover anything ? everything is working good ?
i just kinda worriend bc i don't want to broke somthing
i have 91 sedan and my engine look like i have 81 car
some one told me thast u have to have your car on so just wanna make sure everything be cool anfter i wash my car

thanX

·
Registered
760 Posts
theGodfather said:
I ended up washing my engine yesterday actually! It was covered in dust, grit and tons of coolant (from bleeding my coolant system almost everyday). Also the painted parts were covered with rustproofing goop which I wanted to get rid of now that spring is here.

Alot of you guys mention to cover electronics, but the only thing I covered was my air filter. I washed everything including wiring harness however I never used high-pressure with those and avoiding sparying my alternator. I used Simple Green and left it on my warm (not hot) engine which was off. I used a brush and scrub some parts here and there and rinsed it all off.

I did however have a bit of a problem with one of my sparks not firing when driving but that was due to a coil pack getting a little too wet, but after 10 minutes of driving it dried out and is working perfectly again.

If you guys want to leave all your plastic components and hoses with that nice shine wet look, off a Car Detailing forum I picked up a tip where you spray your engine with tire foam. That's right, the same foam you spray your tires with to give them that wet look, just spray your engine with it and she becomes beautiful!

here is a pic I took today of my clean engine:

G
forgive my ignorance, but... all you you did was covered your air filter and took a water hose (from the side of your house) to the whole engine? this seems a little dangerous to me, what if there was a wire that was bare? also what about the battery? did you have to cover it with anything? did you spray the whole engine while it was running? wouldnt water wash off some of the grease needed? (i.e. the grease on the belts)

-brandon

-brandon

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leon Millette what u thing about "theGodfather" he washed his engine and he didn't have any problem why them we schould cover all thouse part ?

i knda lost now bc u washed your engine and its ok and Leon Millette saying that u have to cover some parts
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
water hose what is that ???

·
Registered
760 Posts
like a hose off the faucet from the side of your house.... i guess i dont exactly understand HOW you guys wash your engines.

-brandon

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I used an adjustable high pressure hose (low pressure mist and high pressure when pulling hte trigger). I used the high pressure on the main engine components but near electronic parts I quickly went over with the low pressure. I used the hose from one of those coin car wash bays.

I only covered my air filter and avoided getting water into the alternator, although water will drip into it from running off the higher parts of the engine, but does not harm it.

The engine was off for 10 minutes before going at it. Water will not effect bare wires. Unless there are several bare wires together in a bunch and a mass of water spans over all of them at the same time then yes, you'll get a short circuit as you know water is slightly conductive, but there usually aren't a bunch of bare wires together. Wire, which is metal, will just dry.

I've washed my G1 engine several times like this in the past and this is the 3rd time I wash my G2 engine like this and have not problems. Just don't be blasting high pressure into the alternator.

ALso I don't see a problem of getting the baterry wet, as long as you don't high pressure it and hold it there. You just have to wash your engine with reasonable limits.

I'm not saying anyone else's techniques are wrong, but this is waht I do and it works for me.

Like I said, I did have a slight problem with one of my spark plugs not firing off when I drove away, but after 10-15 mins of driving it was back to normal (possibly the coil pack got a little too much moister in it but it dried off).

G

·
Registered
760 Posts
so you just pulled up to a coin-wash place, covered your intake system, put in the money, and sprayed away (of course alternating between high/low pressure)? spraying the belts is ok?

i just went to my local coin-op wash place and they have an option of "Engine Cleaner". did you just use the regular water spray? also do you have the "cardboard" on the upper part of your hood? if you do did you try and not get it wet?

-brandon

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Went to my coin wash place, wet the engine after letting it cool down, sprayed my Simple Green all over the engine, let it sit for awhile.. grabbed the brush that people use to wash their cars (i know, this is bad for the next guy who uses it.. ah well) and scrubbed away my engine.... then rinsed.

I had plastic grocery bag which I used to cover the air filter. I didn't get the "carboard" thing wet.... but I do want to clean it up some day..

G

1 - 20 of 21 Posts