Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE HELP: Engine Won't Start - Tried the Main Relay, Didn't fix the problem

Hi All,

First time to the forum. Tons of great info. My 95 Acura Legend won't start. Here are the symptoms:

The engine, cranks, starts, than dies right away. There is a slight burning smell. Battery seems fine (the engine cranks and starts).

Lots of post mentioned that it could be a main relay problem. I orderd a new relay and swapped out the old one. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas what else it could be? Is it possible that the new relay I got was defective, or is this another problem completely? Any other checks I can do on my own or does this need to go to the shop?

Please help, I am immobilized.

· Registered
3,484 Posts
does it start and stay started if you hold the gas pedal down as its starting before it dies? maybe your idle is set low to where it doesn't idle high enough to keep the engine going? could be a fuel problem maybe? pinched fuel line? dunno never had a prob with this in any of my cars so i can only throw out suggestions.

PS. Welcome!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried holding down the pedal while I'm starting, its a no go. It seems like gas isn't getting to the engine.

I had another thought, maybe I'm out of gas but didn't notice because the fuel gugage is broken. Does anyone know what the default position of the fuel gugage is when the engine is OFF? Does it go to zero or stay at what the correct fuel level is? With the car turned off it is showing 1/3 tank of gas.

· Registered
3,484 Posts
i'm not sure, but i think it will stay at the level it was when it was shut off. and it might not be fact that fuel ISN'T getting to your engine, becuase it does start then immediately shut off. so fuel gets to it, but maybe something tells the fuel pump to shut off or something weird like that, therefor killing the engine.

how long does the engine stay on before it shuts off? do you have an estimate in seconds?

does your engine light stay on? you could always check the ecu for codes but i don't know if that would relate to this particular problem...

· FIXER
1,720 Posts
It's the electrical part of the ignition switch. Common problem. It will run as long as it is in the "start" position but dies when it is relased to the "on" position. Search "ignition switch".

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like it was the ignition switch. By holding the key in the crank position, I can get it going. Now to find a replacement part. Its special order from all the local dealers. Anyone in the SF Bay Area with a spare they want to sell?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING. I could not for the life of me get the ignition switch looped on top of the steering column (a mess of wires with little room), so decided just to go under the steering column. Any one else had this issue? Will this cause problems later down the line??

· VIP Premium Member
493 Posts
This same thing happened to me. I thought it was the main relay initially because thats what everyone on here keeps saying when there is a problem like this. I took it to a Honda Acura mechanic and he got it to start the same way you did and said it was the electrical part of the ignition switch. Anyways, he gave me a rough estimate of 160 which seems reasonable because the part itself is like 80 bucks if I'm not mistaken. Hey binbin what do you mean by looping the ignition switch?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.