Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 Legend 4 door. Recently, I noticed that the radiator was leaking along the top seam. As there was very little antifreeze leaking, I didn't think anything of it. Then the erratic idle began. Some of you may know the symtoms--car starts fine, runs fine and then at a stoplight the idle dies down (when the AC cycles on and off) and starts to "jump" and sometimes the car cuts off (with no problem restarting). II took my car to my mechanic who mercifully diconnected the AC compressor for me. Since he disconnected it, no more erratic idle. Prior to disconnecting the compressor, the AC ran fine. I am happy that the car is running again but I am not happy that the AC is down. I am going to have to replace the radiator (anyone know which aftermarket one is good?). I thought that I also may want to replace the IAC valve as well. Anyone have any ideas? I seem to recall many years ago that I had an erratic idle before and the Acura dealer said I needed a radiator. Once they installed it, the erratic idle went away. Anyone have the same experience?
Thanks!

· Registered
2,503 Posts
If the eratic idle onloy comes on when the A/C comes on then it is most likely that your isle is too slow. When the A/C comes on it slows the engine down and sometimes it may stall. When you say Acura replaced a radiator for you and you got the car back all ok, chances are that they probably sdjusted the idle or something else which was wrong with the car.
I am only guessing abou the idle, you need to let us know what your idle speed is currently at. Good luck, let us know what happens.

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/LegendCoupe/62sg000/5-7.pdf

Regards,
Steve

Love to Love the Legend

· Registered
638 Posts
you didnt recently have your ac charged did you? also sometimes a bad compressor can do that when it starts to strain it will put strain on the crank effecting timing, and also can cause your car to over heat.

first i'd check the coolant like anda said then bleed the coolant from the bleeder valve

· Registered
4,259 Posts
summerst said:
Some of you may know the symtoms--car starts fine, runs fine and then at a stoplight the idle dies down (when the AC cycles on and off) and starts to "jump" and sometimes the car cuts off (with no problem restarting).
Faulty or bad EACV/IAC IMO... also proportion to engine coolant temp., idle should become erratic with a load like A/C, is the ECU showing any code (code 14 perhaps)...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We shall see tomorrow. I purchased a new radiator and have scheduled it to be installed by the same mechanic who disconnected my AC compressor. After installing and bleeding the cooling system, he will fire up the AC while the car is in drive at a stop (emergency brake on). If the Idle Air Control Valve (EAVC/IAC) is working properly again, it should compensate for the increase drag from the compressor and the car should remain running. If there is still a problem, I believe I will have it isolated to the EAVC/IAC. I am not out anything as the car needs a radiator anyway. Unfortunately. I will then have to begin looking for a replacement EAVC/IAC which appears to be not cheap when bought new (anyone know whether its worth trying a used one--does it take long to install?). For those thinking it might be the compressor, I talked to a rebuilder and he said that it would be making all kinds of noise or have seized up if there was a problem with it--compressors don't just get hard to turn.
Will let you all know what I find.
Tom

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Yeah I would put my money on the EAVC/IAC....my Aunts old 87 did those same exact symptoms, and thats all that needed to be replaced...but yeah it also looks like youve already found out that this particular part is NOT cheap...if you can get a used one with some kind of warranty (long shot) that would be nice...otherwise your stuck getting a new one :(

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replaced radiator and bled cooling system this morning. Reconnected AC Compressor. I guess that I was too optimistic. Erratic idle continued. Disconnected the AC compressor again. Ordered Valve Assy., EIC (Part No. 36450-PH7-003) from Sunnyside Acura ($169.46 plus $18.89 S&H). The EIC does come with the gasket (36455-PH7-003). Should have the part next week. We shall see if that is the cure-all. By the way, my mechanic suggested that I replace the EIC next. I will let everyone know the result.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Resolution of Erratic Idle 1987 Legend with AC cycling at Stop

Replaced the EIC Air Control Valve this morning (another $75 to install). That took care of the erratic idle problem (Sam was right). Rack is leaking again from the boot. Replaced with a remanufactured unit in May 2003 (about 30K miles ago). Mechanic is sympathetic--thought it should have lasted longer and will try to get a replacement for a discounted price. Radio started playing intermittently and, over the weekend, gave up FM completely. I am having an aftermarket unit installed today. I will let you know if its an improvement (its got a CD player in it). After 18 1/2 years, its always something. Still a great car, though.

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Woo Hoo! (Man we got start pools for these kinds of things...some of us would never have to work another day in our lives!! :giggle: )

Im glad to hear that all got sorted out.

As far as the Steering rack...reman-ed parts typically are a crap shoot with regards to wether or not you get a good one that will last a long time...so thats cool that the mechanic gave youa break.

Also the aftermarket HU will for sure give you an improvement if your factory one DIDNT WORK AT ALL (lol just joking with ya man). No seriously you will enjoy the new HU's power way more over stock...the only drawback is that you will lose the dash controls for the radio...oh well....while we are on the subject of 87 car audio, you have the 8 inch rear speakers correct? Are you still with the factory Pioneer's all around as well? After 18 1/2 years dude I'll tell you now that they wont last much longer with the higher output HU...if you plan on replacing the speakers anytime soon hit me up or start a thread in here and I/we can give you lots of ideas on which direction to go--seeing as how 8" car audio speakers are an endangered species at this point.

See ya!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks also to pnoye2 for the correct diagnosis. BestBuy installed the radio/CD player -- a Pioneer 1700. Radio was $99 with a $20 rebate and free Dual 8 inch speakers (selling price normally is about $24 for pair) and free installation of radio. Installation kit and wiring harness cost another $38. As new radio is smaller than old one, there is now a little pocket in the dash below the radio to store CDs. I held off for now installing the speakers (another $40) not because of the price but because of the fear that the grille covers could become damaged during the installation. The installer said that they are screwed on. Has anyone tried to remove these covers? They look like they pop on rather than use screws or bolts/nuts.
As for the rack and pinion, its another $550 plus a new front end alignment. This time I asked that they install a Crown Remanufacturing, Inc. unit which has a limited lifetime warranty. The service station is buying the rack at Olympus Auto Parts (they are on the web). I have had experience with these folks before and they are first rate. I hate to do it, but my driveway is getting pretty slick and Honda P/S fluid is not cheap!
Here is a picture of my Legend.

[/COLOR]

Other pics at:
My Acura Legend Page

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Dude if I may...for those speakers, if you have a 10mm socket or wrench you can totally install those speakers yourself no problem...spend 15 minutes and save yourself $40. Go into the trunk and from under the speakers you'll see that everything is held in by three studs attached to the speaker surround. Undo those and you'll be able to lift out the assembly to now detach the speakers themselves as well as the grill...a VERY nice setup for thief proofing those speakers if I do say so myself lol.

Hey so you got some Dual 8" speakers!? Can you post some pics because I've never run into those....heres my current rears:

Sorry about the size of the pic but I didnt have time to resize...they are Legacy 3 ways that are supposedly 400 watts but are probably more around the 120-150 watts RMS Neighborhood. BUT they sure did bump when I had my JVC before it was stolen...now I have the 3.2 TL HU which is good but now Im in the market for an Alpine. Also because the tweeter on these speakers wsa so high, I had to use the replacement grill they came with because the factory ones would not fit...still looks good IMO but I'd like the stock ones (read "please dont steal me" lol) Good luck dude!

· Registered
2,973 Posts
On my LS Coupes ( Bose systems ) you remove the speaker grille by prying forward from the back of the grille towards the front. They pop out pretty easily! and they screw in from the top with 4 screws. Giving you this info just in case they're not screwed in from the bottom as " sam " said !

· Registered
4,259 Posts
sam o nela said:
Naw hes got an 87 sedan....no Bose back then...and the grills are screwed in from the bottom of the plastic speaker mount...pretty sure on this one :giggle:
My rear deck speaker grills too can only be remove as sam explained and I'm still using the original 8" pioneers... still pumpin strong :D

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
No ish you have an 89 with 8" speakers!!?? First time Ive run into that honestly!! Do you have a standard sedan??

Yeah those Pioneers with the factory headunit sure do bump dont they!!? I remember being like 10 years old rolling around with my mom and that system would get LOUD (well by 1993 standards anyways :giggle: )!! Awww good times....good times...

· Registered
4,259 Posts
sam o nela said:
No ish you have an 89 with 8" speakers!!?? First time Ive run into that honestly!! Do you have a standard sedan??

Yeah those Pioneers with the factory headunit sure do bump dont they!!? I remember being like 10 years old rolling around with my mom and that system would get LOUD (well by 1993 standards anyways :giggle: )!! Awww good times....good times...
Yeah I've got the standard sedan Sam... speakers are so damn old that the magnet platic covers had fallen off... EQ started to flake out a few months back, HU is now a Kenwood :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.