Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I shut down the engine, which hasn't even reached normal operating temp yet, and the cooling fan went on. As soon as I turned the ignition on, the fan stopped.
I have also noticed recently that it would come on often even when the engine isn't warm enough to justify it.
There is no overheating though, and the needle always stops well below halfway mark.
Is all this normal or is something wrong?

TIA

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi had the same problem. pasting an answer i have in my "archives"

Subject: -----don't listen to them-----

Posted by
Stumper66
on 2001-08-30 01:38:57
I'm putting my $20 on a bad radiator fan control unit.

I've had this problem before among many others and believe me, it's the culprit.

You may do some diagnosing and buy yourself a new radiator switch, then return it for another just to find it still does it. When the control unit goes bad it shows the symtoms of a bad radiator thermo switch because if you unplug it, the fans go off.

Just go to your local junkyard and have them get you one. They will probably try to tell you it doesn't exist and then you'll have to go to the yard and show them yourself (like i've done twice - for both my Legends). However, the one from the yard might be bad too so it's kind of a gamble. On my last Legend it fixed the problem but I think I got another defective one this time.

It's $180 from the dealer so you'll most likely want to get it from the J/Y.

Don't bet that Guy the $20. he is right on the money!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob,

Thanks for answering. It's :cool: to keep good info on archive.
Where is the radiator fan control unit located? I'm more likely to find one from a 86-89 sedan in the JY: do you know if would fit?

BTW, what damage could this prob do, since there is no overheating? Drain the battery?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts