Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages of adding a fared cap to your existing audio system set up?

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
a Farad cap is like a high voltage battery. It will hold amperage until your amplifier needs it. instant power.

IMHO I have no faith in any of the cheap farad caps. If you were to pay the extra money to get a good one. You may as well invest your $$ in an SVR or an Optima battery as a secondary mounted in the trunk. The SVR is popular because of it's smaller size. Check into one of those before you go out and buy a farad capacitor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How many watts are you pushing? Although a capicitor will make every system sound better, if you're not pushing over 1000w you won't notice much, if any, difference. Just my thoughts.

:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
The capacitor simply stores electical energy until it is needed. Instead of dimming lights, large 'bumps' in the music will drain the cap. As for low price vs. high price remember this: Most capacitors for the car are manufactured the same and are the same class of capacitor. Rather than concentrate on brand and assumed quality, concentrate on the quality of the terminals and caseing. Most caps for car audio probably come from the same 2 or 3 OEM's. The retail difference is in the terminal quality and the charge display (and name.)

You should only add a capacitor to your system if your a running high wattage (read current drain) amps or experiance headlight dim during large 'bumps' in the music. Also, pay attentionn to the rating of the cap. You might not need a 1 farad cap, 1/2 or 1/4 might be enough. It mostly depends on the frequency of headlight dim and the type of music you listen to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
how can a second battery be added to your car? do you need a high voltage alternator for this as well? I'm pushing 1500 watts RMS with my system and will probably peak out close to 1700 watts. My lights look like they're about to turn off on really loud burps. i was thinking about adding a 2 farad or 2 caps to my system but a second battery may be a better choice. What do I need to add a second battery?

·
Registered
103 Posts
second battery

Really the only reason to add a second battery is if you play your music with the car off for longer periods of time. Adding a second battery also adds more impedence, which you should avoid if you can. What you need is a beefier alternator. You can either get the one you have now rewound or get a different one, but it is going to cost you. I haven't had it done myself, but check around and see what it would cost you to get it rewound to a different amp output.

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
Re: second battery

wyolegend said:
see what it would cost you to get it rewound to a different amp output.
You'll be charged at least $350 for a higher amperage alternator, and about $200 to have yours rebuilt with a higher amperage.
if you have the money to do this. this is a better alternative.

The second battery works fine and all you have to do is run a 4 guage power and ground wire from the first battery to the second. Also ground the second battery in the rear of the car. It always stays charged and your lights will not dim nearly as bad, if at all. the second battery is always a good addition.

·
Registered
449 Posts
wouldn't adding a second battery make it 24V instead of 12V? Sorry 'm not much of an electrical person. Don't you need to add a resistor or some thing like that?

·
Registered
583 Posts
If the batteries are wired as above, they would be in parallel which makes it 12v.
If you take two batteries and connect neg to pos and vice versa, it makes a series connection, you get 24v.

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
Bukowski=Legend said:
If the batteries are wired as above, they would be in parallel which makes it 12v.
If you take two batteries and connect neg to pos and vice versa, it makes a series connection, you get 24v.
that's affirmative sir, but also, it is safer to install the battery isolator from Auto Zone or Advanced.

·
Registered
583 Posts
safe, schmafe...

yup it is.
was about to discuss that, but tried to keep it simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts