Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
NY Member
3,465 Posts
Damn, his face looked messed up.

I will say from experience that you should not try to break up a fight. I attempted to keep two people from fighting this summer and got blindsided by a punch that was meant for someone else.

Well, 40 grand in plastic surgery later and they are still trying to piece my face back together. Not a pleasant experience. Now, when I see a fight, I try not to get involved. Just my .02 cents.

-Eric

·
NY Member
3,465 Posts
My face healed up ok. Plastic surgeons did a great job--only minor external scarring. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me how much pain I'd be in with the weather change. Ever time we have a cold front or a big storm, I get sharp piercing pains that mimic a migraine right where the plates were put in. It sort of feels like the metal is pulsating and I can feel every ridge of metal in the plates. Very uncomfortable to say the least. The pain usually last about 2-3 days and pain killers and useless. Whenever it rains and my face swells a lil, I get kinda nervous that my face is gonna reject the implant and get infected.

My double vision has improved but I cannot read for prolonged periods without blurriness and starting to see halos around things. That's an annoyance.

The final cost of the surgery was between 30 and 40k. I still haven't seen a dime.... The kid that hit me copped a plea...plead guilty to first degree assault 3rd degree assault. I see him around...he bought a new RL...assh0le.

My jaw healed ok. I do need a brace or mouth plate to correct the TMJ that resulted from the fracture. I will get back to the oral surgeon and do that eventually. And, I am having my broken nose fixed in the coming months. Hopefully then I will be able to breathe better. We'll see.....

I am not too thrilled with the idea of more surgery but I kinda have to do it.

Oh, and the left side of my face is still numb. Doctors said it may come back someday...not anyday soon I guess b/c its still as numb as the day I came out of surgery. My dentist thinks that the nerve damage will kill the nerves in the 7 affected numb teeth and I will need 7 root canals. I am definetly not looking forward to that--lol.

I cringe every time I see fight videos like that. Especially since it only took one punch to mess up my face good.

Hopefully, that kid in the video fared better. Thanks for asking.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yea, i would have to agree with Eric about not getting involved, I got bashed over the head with a [vodka, maybe?] bottle repeatedly and caught a knife in the side of the neck [just under the ear] for my troubles. I was very lucky though, both healed up satisfactorily. Eric, how long ago did this happen to you? I had [have?] nerve damage as well, couldn't feel my ear or part of the side of my face near my ear. Some feeling did come back however, and a year and a half later, its still a tad numb, kinda like a pins & needles-ish type thing, but only when i touch it. Oddly, if i feel something cold at the top of my ear, I also feel it at the bottom of my ear, I don't know much about nerves, but it seems weird to me. Anyway, hope you get better soon and sue the bejesus out of that guy when the time comes, the cops never found the guys that messed me up, otherwise i certainly would have...

BTW, I havent seen the video but I would agree w/ 94LCoupe, about that...

·
NY Member
3,465 Posts
KaPGuN 5speed92 said:
Yea, i would have to agree with Eric about not getting involved, I got bashed over the head with a [vodka, maybe?] bottle repeatedly and caught a knife in the side of the neck [just under the ear] for my troubles. I was very lucky though, both healed up satisfactorily. Eric, how long ago did this happen to you? I had [have?] nerve damage as well, couldn't feel my ear or part of the side of my face near my ear. Some feeling did come back however, and a year and a half later, its still a tad numb, kinda like a pins & needles-ish type thing, but only when i touch it. Oddly, if i feel something cold at the top of my ear, I also feel it at the bottom of my ear, I don't know much about nerves, but it seems weird to me. Anyway, hope you get better soon and sue the bejesus out of that guy when the time comes, the cops never found the guys that messed me up, otherwise i certainly would have...

BTW, I havent seen the video but I would agree w/ 94LCoupe, about that...
Yeah man, mine feels like pins and needles too. It happened on July 4th...tis year. The nerve I damaged was the infraorbital nerve that runs underneath the eye socket in the cheek area. I had a small patch of feeling come back right after the surgery but the rest is still numb (including half of my upper lip). I get various shooting pains and odd feelings throughout my face if I touch certain parts which means the nerve is still trying to regenerate.

Too bad you didn't catch the people that hurt you. That really sucks. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the kid that hit me was my best friend at the time. So, I knew who to press charges against. This kid has no assets so the chances of me receiving anything are slim to none.

He drives a 2001-2004 RL but I can't get a dime from him....gotta love our legal system.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
frantinez63 said:
Yeah man, mine feels like pins and needles too. It happened on July 4th...tis year. The nerve I damaged was the infraorbital nerve that runs underneath the eye socket in the cheek area. I had a small patch of feeling come back right after the surgery but the rest is still numb (including half of my upper lip). I get various shooting pains and odd feelings throughout my face if I touch certain parts which means the nerve is still trying to regenerate.

Too bad you didn't catch the people that hurt you. That really sucks. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the kid that hit me was my best friend at the time. So, I knew who to press charges against. This kid has no assets so the chances of me receiving anything are slim to none.

He drives a 2001-2004 RL but I can't get a dime from him....gotta love our legal system.

-Eric
Yea, i know what you're talking about with the shooting pains [never knew that was b/c the nerves were regenerating, you learn something new everyday], they go away though, the pin & needles thing might stick around for awhile though, but it lessens. The good thing about the face is that it heals quickly, relative to other parts of the body, the downside to that is it bleeds like a mother. I remember within minutes [whilst running to the nearest hospital, which luckily was less than 10 blocks away], i was just about drenched in blood. Not catching the guys was an extremely frustrating experience, but after some time, you find a way to make peace with it. Thats tough though, actually knowing the guy and not being able to do anything about it. Did insurance pick up the bill? or did you have to pay it on your own??
My advice though, is try to resist the urge to seek revenge, it will consume you. What goes around, comes around, he'll get his.
You're right about the Legal system, a inch lower [carotid(sp?) artery] and i could have been murdered, and the cops didn't even care to investigate until i made a big fuss.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
frantinez63 said:

-Eric
Yea, i know what you're talking about with the shooting pains [never knew that was b/c the nerves were regenerating, you learn something new everyday], they go away though, the pin & needles thing might stick around for awhile though, but it lessens. The good thing about the face is that it heals quickly, relative to other parts of the body, the downside to that is it bleeds like a mother. I remember within minutes [whilst running to the nearest hospital, which luckily was less than 10 blocks away], i was just about drenched in blood. Not catching the guys was an extremely frustrating experience, but after some time, you find a way to make peace with it. Thats tough though, actually knowing the guy and not being able to do anything about it. Did insurance pick up the bill? or did you have to pay it on your own??
My advice though, is try to resist the urge to seek revenge, it will consume you. What goes around, comes around, he'll get his.
You're right about the Legal system, a inch lower [carotid(sp?) artery] and i could have been murdered, and the cops didn't even care to investigate until i made a big fuss.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
yeah im majoring in business and ive seen the many ways that a business, even a person, can legally get around paying off a lawsuit. craziness. sure you can declare bankruptcy but with that you can say bye bye to your credit.

·
2,873 Posts
Eric,

Could you prosecute the guy in civil court for pain suffering/medical costs etc? at least hit him where it hurts..

·
NY Member
3,465 Posts
Avarice said:
Eric,

Could you prosecute the guy in civil court for pain suffering/medical costs etc? at least hit him where it hurts..
Yeah, but as they say, "you can't get nothing from nothing"

When someone has no assets and claims no income, then civil court will get you nowhere.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.