Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, [email protected] it.....

I am finally going to get the HG repair done (Damn, no rims just yet!). What else should I get done while my mechanic has my engine ripped apart. Here is my list

OEM:
head gasket set
spark plugs
fuel filter
NSX oil filter
PCV valve
water pump

Other:
fuel injector clean
throttle body clean
power rad flush

What else do you guys recomend? TIA

·
Registered
270 Posts
How about a good "Port and Polish" on those intake and exhaust ports... LOL

I would definately think of getting the valves re-surfaced though... Depending on how many miles are on the engine, it might help in sealing things up as the surfaces may be worn... Also get them to check for cracks (used to me called magna-fluxing, but not sure what it's now called since the heads are aluminum) There's no sense in paying for a repair and finding out later that it didn't take because of the cracks... I find a lot of mechanics forget to check because they are trying to get everything back together too quickly (flat rate)... If you have it listed on the work order and they turn out to be cracked when they go back on, the shop is liable !!!

Good luck...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mckenzie91

I just wanted to offer you the best. Man you are about to throw down some serious duckets. Whew - wee, son!

I know you want to do it right the first time. I am going to be watching this string. Keep us infoed.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About the Port and Polish.....

Do they just send the manifold away to a shop for the job?
Is there more labour involved?
Will it be really expensive?
Will the gains be worth while?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My quoted price for the Head Gasket kit, was $420 CDN.

My package price for the OEM HG kit, the plugs, the fuel filter, the oil filter, the water pump, and the PCV valve was $786 (not sure if that included 7% tax or not). That was through a friend at a toyota dealership, so there was a little bit of a discount there

My mechanic quoted me 10 hrs labour for the head gasket job, and he will probably tach on a couple of hrs for the fuel filter and water pump, maybe.

He said if the heads are warped, there will be a couple of hours extra labout to strip the heads down, and to get the heads re-machined.

All together approx $1500 CDN.:mad:

At least that is what I am hoping to keep it under.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx Man.

Another question for anyone who reads this.

I had my timing belt done at 200 000 km. I am at 218 000km now. Should I do that while I am in there as well?

Thanx:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts