Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up buying the 92 Legend LS automatic with 58K miles on it. I paid to have someone inspect it and he didn't find anything major wrong with it but I do have a list of fairly small items to fix.

The first items are replacing the PS rack bellows, rear tranny mount, alignment and new tires. The master cylinder is leaking at the booster so I will keep a close eye on that and replace it soon too. The differential seal is 'sweating' and will probably have to be addressed in the future, but he said that was 'normal'. He said the varnish that I was worried about is probably due to not changing the oil that often and the stuff around the top of the tranny dipstick may have been dried silicone.

Anyway it's mine and I will be ordering the Helm's manuals tomorrow. I know I will order the Service and Electrical Troubleshooting manuals, but not sure about the Body Repair manual. I do need to replace the weatherstrip around 2 of the 4 doors so I was wondering if this would be useful for that or not. Anyone know what the "Buzzing Noise from EMIS Control" manual from Helms is for?

As far as fluids go should I use only Honda fluid for:
Power Steering - pretty sure the answer is yes
Differential
Auto Tranny
Coolant

Since the timing belt is 10 years old should I go ahead and have that replaced soon even though it only has 58K miles?

Should I use OEM part when replacing the Master Cylinder?

How does the driver door master window switch come out? Is it snapped in so I can carefully pry it up from the rear or ?

Any comments on which of these 2 places would be better to buy parts from? I've seen these 2 places mentioned, Ray Laks Acura near Buffalo and Acura of Augusta.

Sorry for all the questions at once, but I want to get busy! I'm sure lovin it already!
Thank you!
Pat

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
first of all congratulations on your Legend! How much did you pay for it?

You should get the timing belt done - mainly because it is 10 years old. Also, get new tires as they definitely affect the ride quality.
Its definitely a good idea to stick with original Honda fluids!

·
Registered
744 Posts
PoodleHead, you do not need an OE master cylinder. HONDA does not make the brake components in our vehicles. What you should do is contact me and I will sell you one of 5 master cylinders I have.

They are sealed in Napa Boxes, with new bowl and new lid - unlike many remanufactured ones where you have to reuse your old bowl and lid PLUS I won't charge tax or core AND I don't want your core either.

I know you are not dumb - so check around what an aftermarket place will charge. I say $48.85 shipped (PRIORITY, INSURED, DELIVERY CONFIRMATION).

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ILOVELEGEND said:
first of all congratulations on your Legend! How much did you pay for it?

Thanks, I'm happy with it.

They were asking $8K and after I paid $100 for an inspection, a little haggling, I ended up getting it for $7350. It's amazing what you can find when it's on a lift and you are looking over the bottom of it with a flashlight.

I've got the PS bellows and rear tranny support on order. Once those items are replaced I'll get it aligned and a new set of tires. Then go through replacing the master cylinder changing/flushing all the fluids and look into how bad it is to do the timing belt/water pump thing. I've done a timing belt on a 77 Accord a looong time ago...

Order all of the Helms manuals today including the $6 emissions buzzing manual. I just got to see what the heck it is all about! :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
KNLNGUS --- I am very interested in Buying One of your Master Cylinders I definately need a new.....

Thats If the symptoms are Brake Peddle slowly going down to the Floor While Stopped at a Stop Light????

·
Registered
744 Posts
Rawdog805 - I'm sitting here laughing to myself - cause someone just asked me the same thing in a PM.

Provided that the fluid level in your reservior has remained constant...

YES - your Master Cylinder is failing. I'm willing to bet that you can "pump" up the pedal resistance but the pedal still fades away.

Be sure that you do not have anything obstructing ready access to your emergency brake.

KNLNGUS

I sent you a PM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts