Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all you gurus, ponder this:

Pull of freeway with temp gauge 1/4 inch from red (way too high for norm) as I'm pulling off, steam is coming from left side of hood... Oh, sh1t.
Lucky home is 2 blocks. pull up in the drive and it's just in the red. shut off engine and coast into carport, popping the hood. Notice copious amounts of steam exiting the overflow can. none noticed anywhere else.

What I've done so far:
Checked all related fuses according to manual.
Replaced radiator cap. Still ran hot. didn't see/hear fans running.
Replaced Temp fan switch/sender in bottom of radiator. Flushed/fresh antifreeze/water. still runs hot.

Book says next thing is Fan Control Module under the dash. Doesn't say how to test it. If I go to dealer it's major $, if I get a salvage maybe it doesn't work.

TIP: I found a way to rig the fans on all the time (or you could put in your own switch) : Pull the connector off the Temp fan switch/sender in bottom of radiator and jumper accross the plug (wires to car, not sender). runs the fans all the time.

ANY way, not sure if fans are prob, maybe just part. I have NO ECU Codes. Could it be the Thermostat? No one had one in stock (duh, it's Arkansas FORD/CHEVY land)

Anyone go through this and fast forward me to the end? Tips/suggestions?
Thanks all,
PS Hurry, I'm dying to play with my new G-Tech and my Crane Hi-6 is burning a hole in my coffee table waiting to go on...
God, I'd rather Mod than wrench on broke sh!t.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't drive it that way.
My riggin' days are through... :D (maybe)
Am going to try it in the morning though to find out... whatcha thinking?

·
Registered
269 Posts
i'm 95% sure that it's the thermostat. Definately replace it, its only a couple bucks. it's either that or a broken hose. good luck!
:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thermostat check

To check if it's thermostat, feel top and bottom rad hoses when temp gauge reaches "usual normal" level. If one hose feels hot and one feel cold, then therm is bad.

Good luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the thermostat is bad, won't the heater blow cold air?

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
Another thing to make sure of is that there is no air in the water system! this is a problem with hondas overheating. Once the car is heated up there is a bleeder screw up on top of the manifold area. just open that up until antifreeze comes out and then close it. It is a nut with a "nipple" with a hole in it. Not too hard for a guy to find I think. Also try running fans all the time and if that fixes it then its probably the fan issue. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ever feel like you were on a merry go round?
well, that's me chasing my tail....

Finally got it fixed. The main problem was the thermostat.
it didn't just stick, it BROKE. never seen one like it before. The nipple on the end of the pin was laying in the bottom of my hose neck and the brace that runs accross the top of the thermo was broken in two peices... I counted and all the small parts are there so my engine didn't eat any of it thank God.

Fans still haven't come on, but the car doesn't run hot, so ?

but, I got to get back to the kind of "fixing" I like. Modding.
Put in the Crane Hi-6 today. Will write it up tonight...
Thanks for all the help, sometimes it takes a fresh perspective and a little support,
buk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same thing happened to me

MY car has the same problem, i changed my thremostat and it worked fine. Now it only occasionally runs hot. I do have a toggle switch inside my car for it, so that is definately a good idea. Also, sometimes the fan turns on, and some times it doesn't. I talked to a mechanic and he told me it may have something to do with a sensor, if anybody can tell me where the sensor is at, that would be great.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Same thing happened to me

gaAcura88 said:
... I talked to a mechanic and he told me it may have something to do with a sensor, if anybody can tell me where the sensor is at, that would be great.
That is the temp fan sensor/switch (heard it called both). It's located on the bottom left(drivers side) of the radiator. It has two wires on a plug on it. To change it your self, you have to drain the radiator (use the drain valve right next to it), and unplug and unscrew it. Replacement is reverse. Fill up with 55% Antifreeze/45% water.
I have to tell you though, it doesn't seem to have made a difference in my fan, although my wallet is $28 lighter.
Mine was due to the thermostat. Hasn't run hot since (120mi. freeway and city)
Hope it helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts