Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I got some rust on another car of mine that's not worth taking somewhere to get it fixed so I will do it myself.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions when fixing rust. I have 3 large rust spots. What I was going to do was sand everything down and clear away as much rust as possible. Then I have this rust converter stuff that will remove the remaining rust I couldn't get to. Clean all that off, prime it and finally paint it. Does that sound like a good plan? Thanks guys.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
One is surface, the other two are through but not structual and they're hidden so I will not be filling then with bondo or anything. They are on the center column between the front and rear door towards the bottom. I don't care too much about how the end job will look cosmetically. As long as the paint matches close enough and the rust is stopped. This is a backup/utility car, an 89 Camry with 180k miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey man i had some sick rust near my gas cap on my g1. I sanded it off applied a few coats of bondo, sanded that smooth and then i went to acura baught a pint of paint that matched my color and sprayed it. It doesnt look as good as factory repair, but it looks way better that rust it actually looks unnoticable if you didnt know it was there

·
Registered
583 Posts
rusty thoughts...

The only two ways to stop rust for the long term are:
1) Cut it out.
2) Chemically change it to another compound.

You can clean it up and seal over it with bondo, paint, etc,
but it is still rust and it will continue to grow. <this is why it's nicknamed "cancer".

Sandblasting is a good method of cutting the rust away from the metal, but if you live down south, have the primer/conditioner ready as soon as you remove the part from the cabinet/or quit blasting it...

Por 15 is one of the best "converters" on the market today.
It is designed to work long term.

Keep in mind, I'm not dogging anyone, I've done my fair share of aluminum tape/bondo body work... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts