Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know sometimes we go too far, but that's what limits are for... breaking. Some choose to enjoy the luxury as it was intended originally, while other need change. Myself, I like change. I like mods and more importantly I like creativity. Unlike some of you, who are either living off the land ar are indepently wealthy, I don't have lots of money to spend. Therefore, I chhose to do creative things to my vehicle that may show my ability to be creative without showing how broke I am :( . I've seen this flip-flop trunk mod at car shows and in magazines, and I understand it is not very costly, but instruction is important. Has anyone done this themselves?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey, I am interested in this. There is a guy on e-bay who sells them, but for like $40.00 and they are just instructions. I am trying to get my friend with a legend to go halfs with me and when he say's yes I will buy it. Then I will post it for FREE, but I want someone to go halfs.
I will let you know when I find someone.
Mark

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just searched ebay and saw in structions for $5.00 and unless someone else has it already i might get it tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'd be interested to see how this would be done. I wonder if it would solve my problem of the trunk not being able to stay up?

·
Registered
347 Posts
what the...

what is a flip-flop trunk?

·
Registered
583 Posts
it's like if you picked your trunk lid straight up off the car till the bottom cleared the rear end of the car and then moved the lid forward ... kinda funky, kinda cool. def. get ya points for modding.
AND it will hold your trunk up regardless :D
I've seen them and I think all there is to it is installing the new hinge mechanisms and removal of old, but not sure.
Good luck with it all who endevor... post pics!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
pYmpdaddi said:
i just searched ebay and saw in structions for $5.00 and unless someone else has it already i might get it tonight or tomorrow.
POST THE LINK, and I will buy it right away.:D
I looked but did not see anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
i heard that its just some brackets that you just add on to the trunk...so it shouldn't be that hard.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eye Candy said:

POST THE LINK, and I will buy it right away.:D
I looked but did not see anything.
Thanks
I went back this morning and they were all like $10 and up. It's just an info pack. It is supposed to explain how and what parts you need from the hardware store. Once I get it, we'll ALL have it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I remember seeing someone post the instructions for this on some other message board.

I'll see if I can find it so you don't have to spend any money.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It looks from the pictures as if the stock hinges and mounting arms are retained, and an additional hinge connects the very end of the mounting arms to the trunklid, in which case it would be easy to fab.
It mentions that you can open the trunk normally or in the flipmode, so there would have to be a fastening device of some type to stop the extra hinge from operating - I hope this is a robust design, I wouldn't want it to pivot accidently and smack me in the noggin when Im packing the trunk. Does look cool though, I'd love to do this mod.

rich

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dai said:
I remember seeing someone post the instructions for this on some other message board.

I'll see if I can find it so you don't have to spend any money.
Thanks Dai, I was wondering about that. We've all seen something like that, and THIS is a great place to share info. Let me know if you find it. PEACE!!! :cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will get one in 2 days and post the information after.
There are no kits for our car, but I will try to mod a kit for the
preludes.

·
Legendary P*mp
192 Posts
hey eyecandy,

wat ever happend to the flip trunk thingie? please let me no. thanks in advance - jimmy

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought those crappy instructions and they hurt my eyes when I look at them (they are that bad) anywyays I have not had a chance to do this yet as it is still COLD here most of the time and it even snowed last week:( . From the instructions I will need at least a full day to do this right with the pics and I don't have a garage so my system will be exposed for everyone too jump on (I live in the GETTO, and back onto a park), but I will do it soon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't waste your money. It is easy. I almost did it to mine, but ended up deciding not to. I bought the parts and had it all disassembled, but ended up changing my mind. Just go to Home Depot and buy 2 small hinges-- cost me around $2. The remove your trunk lid and just imagine in your head how it works-- it will be easy to see how you will need to screw the hinges in. However, on the Legend you will need to take a ziz-wheel or some type of cutting tool to make the trunk li support flat(it is angled weird, look at it and you will see what I mean). Once you do this it will be easy-- however the reason I didn't do mine is that the problems arise when trying to make the trunk sit flush when closed, etc. It will never be aligned perfect. I did it on my friends Civic and it was easy as nothing had to be cut, but his trunk lid now buldges up when shut and does not sit perfectly flush. We messsed with the alingment for a good 5 hours and couldn't get it right. So beware-- it will take alot of time to get it to relaign correctly. Good luck,

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts