Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are on the topic of poor idles, in the morning when i start my car in relatively artic like conditions it revs up to 2200 or so and slowly goes to down for 3-4 minutes and then at some point when the engine is warm (getting warm air thru the vents) it goes up and down for a period of time although it never exceeds the initial rev of 2200. Eventually it settles down but it does take a bit of time. After driving it a bit and when I'm stopped at a light or when I get home, I don't have this problem and its revs in the 750 range as it should and no fluctuation.

Any thoughts? thnks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's supposed to idle at about 2000 when its cold, then drop as the car warms up. There is a diaphragm and a mechanism on the throttle body that keeps the throttle from dropping lower when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My legend does the same thing, it idles at about 2,000 when its cold, and it idles between 700-900 rpms. But when it gets warm sometimes, I will rev it up a little bit and when I let off, the idle drops to like 500r's.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Regarding idle, It is worthwhile to check your ecu while your engine is running now and then. If the idle is set wrong there is a amber led on the ecu which will warn you if it is set wrong by either blinking or on solid. If it is blinking you should turn your idle adjust screw on the throttle body counter clockwise a 1/4 let it idle for a minute then repeat until the led goes off. If it is on solid you turn the screw clockwise same drill. I'm going by memory so check the online manual to be sure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My Accord I used to have would idle up and down rapidly when I was letting it warm up...as if someone was tapping the gas pedal over and over. It ended up being some o2 sensor valve thing...not really sure...I sold it before I ended up fixing it. ;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
AcuraPrincess26 said:
My Accord I used to have would idle up and down rapidly when I was letting it warm up...as if someone was tapping the gas pedal over and over. It ended up being some o2 sensor valve thing...not really sure...I sold it before I ended up fixing it. ;)
I remember reading that the fluctuating idle is caused by low coolant level, but that may have been with the G2? I think on warmup there is some fluctuation anyway. I'm going to install a new(used) Throttle body this weekend and while I was cleaning it I noticed that removing the idle adjustment screw uncovered a lot of crud in the hole. It's not a big deal to get out - small o ring at the top. Then spray some carb cleaner in the hole. I'm looking forward to looking at what kind of crud I'm gonna find behind the Tbody.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Three words folks:

1) Check

2) Your

3) Hoses

I can't stress this enough! Most people buy older cars but don't stop to realise that little problems that they're having with an otherwise perfect vehicle may be due to cracked hoses.

As for the rough idling, check the hose on the top of the engine coming from the PGM-FI case. More times than not, this may be the source of the problem.

Cheers!

Yogi

·
Registered
285 Posts
ya the pcv valve is a cheap fix if you really want to, you can clean it yourself but its better to just get a new one.i had bad idle and bad accel because i found i had bad wires but maybe your o2 sensors are shot,,check ecu. fix the cheapest things first. thats waht i do anyways

1 - 9 of 9 Posts