Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried doing custom front passenger and rear footwell lights in their cars? I know it's possible because I knew a guy who installed them in his Maxima but he moved and I have no way of asking him how he did it. Anyone have any ideas on how I could get this done?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i put cold cathode flourescent lights (CCFL) in my front driver and passegener footwells. I have a LS, so the lights dim out when the door closes so it looks real smooth. basically u buy an inverter for CCFL and hook it up to the existing bulb wires ( i cut the wires so im not using the original bulbs anymore.) then u plug the CCFL into the inverter. i have a 12" blue CCFL in each footwell:

[url]http://www.case-mod.com/legend/glow_2.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
safoo said:
i put cold cathode flourescent lights (CCFL) in my front driver and passegener footwells. I have a LS, so the lights dim out when the door closes so it looks real smooth. basically u buy an inverter for CCFL and hook it up to the existing bulb wires ( i cut the wires so im not using the original bulbs anymore.) then u plug the CCFL into the inverter. i have a 12" blue CCFL in each footwell:

[url]http://www.case-mod.com/legend/glow_2.jpg
That's cool. Where do I find these lights? Is there any other color than blue?

·
Registered
38 Posts
u can just search on google for any website that sells them. A lot of computer sites sell them. I just got them from my brother on his site case-mod.com. but again, theres a lot of sites out there that sell them. only thing is, if u can buy a whole kit from somewhere which comes already heatshrinked, it is better because the one's i got weren't heat shrinked so i had to put electric tape on the back of the inverter. otherwise you might short the inverter if it touches anything and also u can shock urself. I know for a fact there are other colors. I thought blue was the sharpest looking. usually there is red, but many times its a little pinkish. Green looks nice tho.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i am going to put som 15" street glow sticks there they r in order so waiting on them. but i am also puting them under the seat front and back passenger and driver for full lighting capabilities hehe. and going to route the wires to a switch on my gas lever that is on the floor by driver seat so it is out of the way doest mess up the dash board!!!! yours looks great 94legendL. r those wires from the lights r u planning on hiding them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think crash was talking to me...those wires are from my radar detector ;)....i made sure to keep it clean and hide all the wires...i wired a similar setup in my cuzin's prelude, but i put it to a switch under the dash. mine just light up when the door is open and dim when the door closes and i can turn them on with the courtesy liught controls i have in my car. im going to wire the back soon...

15" glow sticks should look pretty nice. make sure to post pics when u get em.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hmm maybe he hasnt put them on the site yet...im guessing they would be around 16-18 dollars for the inverter and light. the ones he has are not heatshrinked, meaning the back of the inverter is exposed, so you would have to put some electric tape on the back thats all. im not exactly sure which otehr sites sell these, but there should be some other ones too. i dunno how much other sites sell these for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the bulb wires in the car are 12V wires. you cant put 12V straight into the Cold cathode light. So you use have to use the inverter. you hook the inverter to the 12V wire and a ground wire, and im not sure exactly what it does, but it manipulates the current someway or another. then you plug the light into the inverter.

i could be wrong thought. all i know is you cant put 12V straight into the light. hte inverter allows you to use 12V with the light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.