Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the TCS system enable you to drive in the snow? has anyone tried driving in the snow with traction control, how is it? if i decide to get another legend it will most likely be a GS with TCS and my parents wanna know if it'll be possible for me to be able to drive during some snow days that occur here in md.

G

·
If my memory serves me correctly...I think the TCS system in our cars is only good at speeds below 25 MPH, which I would think is usually at take off. As far as keeping your car stable in turns and curves it won't help you much...ABS might...not tooo sure!! Never driven in snow since I live in Texas! Someone help clarify this!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
ya i would say it helps out alot , cause for one it keeps your tires from spinning and when u are driving in the snow u cant tell if your tires are spinning sometimes, so the tcs is good for indication that your tires are slipping and really helps regain traction by not letting u sit there with your tires slipping

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
GoldenCoupe said:
If my memory serves me correctly...I think the TCS system in our cars is only good at speeds below 25 MPH, which I would think is usually at take off. As far as keeping your car stable in turns and curves it won't help you much...ABS might...not tooo sure!! Never driven in snow since I live in Texas! Someone help clarify this!
Just like you, I live in a good weather climate, (Hawaii) so I have little experience with the TCS, but, I do know that I have engaged the TCS system at much higher speeds than 25MPH. Sometimes when gdriving on the Freeway or highway in heavy rain, the car will go through some deep puddles and nearly hydroplane and the TCS will engaged for a second or two. This is usually at 50MPH+.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you stuck in snow, you don't want your TCS cutting powers to your wheels, otherwise your car will not be able to move. I always disable my TCS when I stuck in snow, so I can have wheelspin and the rocking movement that I need to clear my way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Traction control systems are misunderstood and overrated. People get them confused with a limited slip diff, stability control systems, abs, and the like. The job of traction control is to detect when your drive wheels are spinning and cut the power to them, that's it. This way, a wheel that is slipping in the snow will have its power cutoff to prevent a fishtail type situation. I have not encountered snow in my Legend but I would recommend the use of traction control if you get into any slippery situation.

All of this was explained to me by a mechanic who worked at the dealership I sold Chryslers for. The customer wondered why the car she was looking at only had TCS for up to 35 mph. The answer to that was that no Chrysler will spin its wheels faster than that!

later,
j520

·
Registered
61 Posts
as long as you have all season or snow tires with tread on them, driving is not bad in the snow with the legend. its not nearly as good in the snow as my eclipse [1g laser] but the legend is alot heavier and thats to be expected. here in new york, about a year ago there was a horrible snow storm, and i decided i wanted to go on the highway. there was 4 inches of snow, and still falling, everyone was in the left lane going 15-20 mph, driving in the path of the other cars, so i took it into the right lane, covered in snow and went 50 mph. nothing better than snow tires, a small car and all wheel drive in the snow...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.