Acura Legend Forum banner

for auto tranny, how do you park your car?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  502 MotorSports 
#1 ·
my friend told me that for auto, you should put the gear to neutral first, handbrake then park. this way, he said, will prolong the tranny life. is it true ? before that, i usually put the gear to park, then handbrake.

how do you guys park your car?

#4 ·
How about if you don't live in hilly area?
To be honest to you, I never use E brake while parking my car - I just put in park and thats it.

Some times, when I park on a slope/incline, I use e brake - but i never apply e brake before putting the car in park. Its always after I park the car!

Now that you guys have told me, maybe I should start using e brake before parking it! very interesting - never thought of it!

thanks!

#5 ·
I was tought the same thing by my dad. When applying the e brake, put the car in Neutral, then apply the brake, then put in park. And when you're gonna take off, put the car in Neutral again, then take off the e brake, then put in drive. He said the same thing about helping take all the pressure off the tranny from the weight of the car. I always thought I was the only one who did that...nice to know I'm not alone. :D

#7 ·
This is the first time I'm hearing about this routine. Why use the handbrake when putting in/taking out of park when the foot brake is already being applied ? This makes use of the E-brake redundant. It only makes sense to me to use the E-brake to take pressure off the tranny when on an incline/hill.

#8 ·
what is e-brake

i always use handbreak, that would give the trany a little break. you don't want the whole car sits on your trany. it is not good.

#9 ·
It is a very safe practice to get into. All that holds your cars transmission in park is a little pin. Enough wieght on that and it will snap like a twig and your car will be sent flying.

Where I work (City of Calgary Waterworks), the vehicle safety inspector will right you up for a safety violation if he finds ANY city vehicle parked with out the ebrake applied.... this includes cops, EMS, etc. You would be held responsible if your vehicle rolled out of park and struck and killed a kid or someone....

I have heard many stories of people being crushed by cars that roll out of park..:( If not for your safety, do it for someone elses.:)

#11 ·
I agree with some other guys say. When I park my car I stop, keep my foot on the brake pedal, put the car in park, then I pull up the e-brake, the whole time with my foot on the brake pedal. Doesn't this prevent the pressure from being put on the transmission even though I don't do the whole "neutral" thing first?

-James

#12 ·
James92LS said:
I agree with some other guys say. When I park my car I stop, keep my foot on the brake pedal, put the car in park, then I pull up the e-brake, the whole time with my foot on the brake pedal. Doesn't this prevent the pressure from being put on the transmission even though I don't do the whole "neutral" thing first?

-James
yeah, Neutral is Not ABSolutely necessary, but it is kind of a fluid motion...I dont always put the car in N, but I never ever, ever ever ever release my foot from the brake pedal until the E brake is firmly up, and I have let the car rest on the E BRAKE FIRST, THEN put it in park....thats it, duh...I just reminded myself why you need to put it in Neutral...mostly on inclines.....if its level, then no biggie, but an incline BEST put the E brak, let it bounce off the E brake, THEN put it in park

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.