Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is it nessary to have that many amps running each set of individual speakers?

Does this make for better sound? Or show?

Also waht is that box right under the HU? And what does it do?

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's mainly for show purposes only. I don't see any advantage of having that many amps in a system. It's just a waste of currents. The guy probably needs some crazy ass alternator and a couple batteries. That little box is probably a DSP processor or something. Sony doesn't even have it listed on their site. Wonder where the hell he get these idea.

·
Registered
248 Posts
the reason why that shop did that was becuase it was a sony demo vehicle, the s-10 truck is pretty sweet, but by no means a sound quality vehicle or daily driver. there is, however, something thca n be said for a true mono system, meaning a separate amp for EACH speaker, meaning one for left tweet, one for right, so on and so forth, the point is that you will get much better stereo separation than a two channel amp...there are a few examples of this in the old days of stereo comps, but now there is jason syner's civic with a true mono system, with a mono rf amp on each speaker, truely amazing looking stuff...

but anyhow, my philosophny is the exact opposite, go with one amp only if you can :) two at the most :0

b

·
Registered
248 Posts
oh and the xdp 4000x is sony's digital equalizer/processor, pretty cool piece that can be contorled by higher end sony HUs, and you can adjust the curvves and such via a computer program.

b

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hmmmm........ if you think $1400 is crazy enough, what do you think of this Sony XES???? I think it is about $14,000-$16,000 retail price. I might be wrong.

I'm not that lucky, but I'm lucky enough to own the older generation Sony XES P-1, X-1, T-1, C-1, M-1 and M-3.

And, I used one of the best available unit out there too currently on my legend, the old Pioneer ODR RS-D2 with RS-P1 and RS-P50 processor. Sound quality baby.

I don't like that many amps and all of those toys on car audio. I'm a strong believer in Less is more philosophy. So, I only used one amp (Soundstream DaVinci), MB Quart QSD213 for front, and one JL Audio 10W7-3 for sub.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, but I believe that 3 amps is the max that any car should have. A nice mono amp for the sub(s), a nice 2 channel amp for the front components, and then a decent amp to power the rear coaxials. There is no need to waste your money on something that is barely listened to.

When I end up helping friends with sound systems when they don't want to spend much money though I usually just end up using a 5 channel amp to power a decent sub and like 4 coaxials all the way around. It's amazing the kinda sound quality that you can get out of those inexpensive setups and people are always wow'd because it sounds so much better than stock.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Alexander said:
Hmmmm........ if you think $1400 is crazy enough, what do you think of this Sony XES???? I think it is about $14,000-$16,000 retail price. I might be wrong.

Yes, try looking up the price of the Alpine F1 series. Car Audio prices are getting why out of hand. Try $3,000 for the heaunit alone. I think the proccessor (PXA-H900) is over $6,000. Then you can add all the F1 status amps and speakers and what not. My Meridian Home Audio processor was just under $6,000 and it can do 100X what the Alpine unit can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts