Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long term, I was wonderin' how often (avg) you guys change your tires or how long the tires last... say for cheaper 25/40/18 tires. I'm lookin at how much I plan to spend for the future. I know it ain't pretty...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It all depends on your tire brand....

I personally have Kumho Ecsta <SP?> 712s on my car, 225/40/18 and I've been riding on them for 2 full seasons now (14months) and I've noticed very little wear. The more expensive brands such as Perelli and Nitto use a softer rubber in their tires since they are designed with performance/racing in mind thus they will wear a lot faster. If you want good tires, that will last long but still have very good cornering and performance, I'd suggest Kumhos. Just my .02

·
Registered
49 Posts
3 factors come to mind....

1- Suspension...is your car slammed, or expect to? If so do you have camber adjustments to prevent uneven wear?

2- Driving style...do you SCCA AutoCross? Do you drive hard? Or do you pimp your ride all the time?

3- do you pay attention to potholes and debris on the road?

If you answered yes to 1 and 2, you may run about 6-9 months, depending on severity of each piece. If you do so moderately, or your car has a moderate drop..1.5" for instance with camber, you should fare pretty well. If you are a no-go on #3, well, you may be up [email protected] creek..gotta take it easy, especially with the Kumho's...AWESOME tire...but you need to watch out for potholes and misc. crap falling from trucks....Kumho's don't like it. THey have AWESOME grip though!

Not bad for a tire less than $200

Also investigate -
Sumitomo (mid-high Price)
Yoko Parada (low Price)
Pirelli (high price)
Toyo Proxes (mid-high)

tire rack is probably one of the best places to get them...but you can look on the internet for more...ok, gotta go back to work now

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the H&R's with konis give the car about a 2 inch drop with the camber kit. I don't drive it hard at all, but i still have a bit of time till i put the wheels on because of #3. I'm waiting to put the wheels on after I go back to LA because the potholes here in the bay area are DRASTIC. Even when i look out for the potholes, it doesn't even help cuz they're everywhere. I feel like a pinball machine when i try and avoid potholes. Off-road legend action. Haha

·
Registered
120 Posts
SLACK3RZ said:
Long term, I was wonderin' how often (avg) you guys change your tires or how long the tires last... say for cheaper 25/40/18 tires. I'm lookin at how much I plan to spend for the future. I know it ain't pretty...
I know I don't have 18's but I thought I'd chime in here cause I have zr rubber. If you want a zr tire that probably handles worse
than any other brand but lasts a long long time I suggest Nitto
450 zr's.

G

·
SLACK3RZ said:
the H&R's with konis give the car about a 2 inch drop with the camber kit. I don't drive it hard at all, but i still have a bit of time till i put the wheels on because of #3. I'm waiting to put the wheels on after I go back to LA because the potholes here in the bay area are DRASTIC. Even when i look out for the potholes, it doesn't even help cuz they're everywhere. I feel like a pinball machine when i try and avoid potholes. Off-road legend action. Haha
What settings do you have your Konis on? Do you have a system in the rear that weights it down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys. the konis are set at the lowest perch at the front and the middle perch in the back. I don't have a system, but on a sedan, i think it looks a little better with this setup. The front has a no finger gap while the back is at 1/2 to no finger gap as well. I'm hoping the rims (18 x 7.5 w/45 offset) will fit at the lower perch up front with 225/40 tires. If it doesn't, i can always raise it to the higher perch. Right now i'm on crappy stock 15" with no center caps. Ghetto style. haha

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
I think legendarylegendz gave the best break down. Fast driving, braking, turning fast, ect... All make a huge diffrence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts