Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know, Morpheus recently encountered an attack, basically, an attack on Morpheus which changed settings in the registry, making it no longer connect to the network. Because of this Morpheus released the latest version. The problem, it sucks. It's slower, harder to use, and sometimes wont work at all. The main reason lies in the network it uses. Before Morpheus would connect to the KaZaA/Fasttrack network. Now it has switched to "Gnutella' network. It sucks.

Kazaa is very similar to morpheus about 90% similar. There's only one problem with KaZaa, first they ask you if you want to install all this extra crap with it (Don't do it!), once KAZAA itself installs, there's a problem. It uses what is known as "SPYWARE". This particular SPYWARE is from a company called CYDOOR. Basically they monitor various things about you, you're internet speed, how long you stay on the net, possibly the sites you visit, and files you download. An obvious security risk.

Someone has created a "patch", which is basically a "DLL" file. What it does is, neutralize CYDOOR, making it think it's working properly when in fact, it prevents it from monitoring you.

Here's how it works....
When KAZAA installs it puts the following DLL into your computer:
cd_client.dll

The file usually gets put into your C:\Windows\Sytem32 directory

Simply, rename this file to something else (this is incase you ever decide to uninstall KAZAA, it will need the original file to do so)

Then get the new cd_client.dll the "Dummy" version that neutralizes cydoor. From here:
http://www.cexx.org/dummies.htm

put it where your previous cd_client.dll was.. Now CYDOOR is inactive :)

If you want to take it a step further, you can also kill KAZAA's ads by doing the following:

do a search for a file called "hosts" (without quotes). You'll find it in \Windows\system32\drivers\etc. Open it up with Notepad. Underneath the line that says:

127.0.0.1 localhost

you add two lines as follows:
127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com

.. Done!

Hope that helps some of you, hope I didn't make it sound confusing! you can get Kazaa at www.kazaa.com

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 1 week ago. Don't know what triggers it, but one day you may find yourself trying to log in and you'll get a "your version is out of date" notice. This is part of the "hack" morpheus got.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree, the new version is crap. I can't find anything I'm looking for and the speed I'm getting is sloooow. I got Morpheus because Kazaa was fricken annoying with all the ads. I got rid of the ad crap it added to the registry and it refused to run anymore until advertising stuff was reinstalled. Yeh right.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The new version is just temporary...They will be back on track soon...Patience...:)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new version is a preview edition, but will stay on that network. They've already said they're not going with the FastTrack network anymore. So while the interface might improve, files will still be hard to come about, and download speeds will be slower.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i downloaded Grokster and it seems to work fine

·
Registered
685 Posts
hmmmm

well aftwr trynig to follow your instructions, I still couldent find the cd_client.dll file is there any other way to locate this file?

-

-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts