Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my system freezing up all the time. It will even freeze while it is doing nothing. Why do these fantastic machines freeze all the time? In the course of the last hour, my computer has frozen over 5 times. It even freezes while it is doing the scandisk, after you reset the bloody thing.

I am getting scared that one day it will freeze permanently, and I will not even be able to start my machine up, or get any of the important info off of it. I also wont be able to come to the forums:mad: :( (Sob, Sob!)

What can I do to stop this from happening?

Or is it back the old "reload windows" scenerio?

I sure hope not because it is such a hassle.....

Please Help If You Can:)

Thanx

·
Registered
847 Posts
1. Make sure that there are no resource/irq conflicts.

2. Format your hard drive and perform a clean install if you are sure resource conflicts are not the reason for freezing. Also, use only the lastest drivers from the manufacturers. It will be fixed if the problem is not hardware related.

3. Swap test your memories.

4. If all fails, start testing the system by pulling one part out at a time so see what exactly is causing you these problems.(e.g. switch video card with a friend, take out the sound card, try a different hard drive, etc.)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hey

overheating too.....

what operating system do you have? (Windows ME is crap)..

Take care,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Could be the processor overheating. My roommate's P150 had the fan go bad, it would freeze up every so often. Although with anything faster (and hotter) I think you might have more problems in that case hehe. Then of course Win9x is not stable at all. I had a celeron 300 system that locked up about 7 times a day in 98se and would go for two weeks in 2k.

·
Registered
155 Posts
And if you are freezing up after using some part of the HD, theres another clue... although often times you will hear a click or something from the HD when its goin down the toilet. If Maxtor, Quantum, or Western Digital are involved theres another hint...

<Darn> Maxtor: jam a dead fish in your computer. It's cheaper and you are just as likely to be able to retrieve your data off of it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
true, could be the overheating...

However, the system would have frozen while loading windows if he reset the computer right after it froze. Most of the time when you will get registery errors when you boot up a win9x with a over heated processor.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
or he could be running too many programs that the processor just can't keep up with, try restarting your computer again and open the Net Bios, turn off un-nessary utilities, it may help a bit on your speed too.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx guys... I wish I knew the ins and outs of computers like some of you.

I guess I am guilty of running windows ME. I have a P2 300, 164 MB ram and a 15 GB hard drive. I still have like 12 GB left on my hard drive, so its not too much. I try and turn off the computer as often as possible.

The guy I bought it from blames it on the internet, that it corrupts [email protected] He is a systems administrator, so I have believed him until now. Another guy says too many cookies (internet again).

I am not sure if it is overheating, but maybe it is taking after my car!:D

Claus44, could you instruct me how to do what you are saying to do here, if you can. I am computer illiterate when it comes to fixing them, sorry....
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts