Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noise in the driver side suspension somewhere. My uncle told me the springs are coated with some sort of rubber. When water gets in there and can't come out, of course it rusts the spring and it breaks. Anyone ever done this repair in their garage without a spring compressor?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It's a DIY, but you'll need the strut spring compressor. G1 Coupes (and maybe sedans) are notorious for breaking their front springs due to rust, so I hear from my buddy at Acura. My Bro-in-law's '90 Coupe had both fronts rusted and broken, and the junkyard that he picked up replacements at also had some with busted springs.

I'm not sure, but with the spring broken, you may be able to disassemble the strut without the compressor, but you'll definitely need it to put on the new ones, unless they are lowering springs.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
A broken spring would cause more than just a little noise on the front end! You'd have some serious handling problems, and the side with a broken spring would be noticeably lower than the good side. A more likely cause of a little bit of noise is worn suspension parts, or just a dry bushing. I had an annoying front end squeak a while back ...solved it by forcing some silicone grease into the gap in the rubber bushings holding the front stabilizer bar in place. Check here: www.honda.co.uk/owner/LegendCoupe/62sg000/12-15.pdf and note where they indicate to lube with silicone grease. Also: where the coil spring seats in the front damper, there should be a thin rubber buffer between the bottom of the coil spring, and the metal plate holding the bottom of the spring in place. These rubber buffers tend to wear with age, and then you have metal rubbing on metal. Replacing the rubber buffer, or forcing some grease into the base of the spring will solve a squeak from that location.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try junk yard. Both of my front springs broke. I found a pair of front struts assembly from junkyard for a total of $40; and saved the trouble of using a compressor. The car actually did not handle that bad before the replacement, but definitely got better after. Remove the front wheels and check by eye. If there is a broken spring you definitely will see it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I will start by taking the front tire off and having a look, I will also check and grease ball joints if nessesary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.