Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not a huge problem, but it bugs me that it's not working right. On my Coupe, when you pull the release lever for the Fuel Door, the door doesn't pop out, however with the tips of my fingers I can open it without much effort (I don't need to force it open with a screwdriver or anything).

From what I can tell the switch works because I hear a clicking noise. I don't have to get a second person to pull the lever while I go open the tank. It just wont "POP OPEN" and requires some effort.

I was trying to compare it to our GS Sedan, the only thing I noticed was that the coupe's fuel door feels a little heavier, the sedan's feels much lighter. I thought maybe the hinges are stiffer or something so I sprayed some WD-40 on them, but that didn't help.

I also did a search and none of the "Fixes" seem to apply to me.

Any feedback? Thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i had the same problem but it eventually went away on its own. if nothing else works, just push the left edge of the fuel door to get it open, should be easier than trying to pry it from the right.

·
I like shiny
14,385 Posts
snake08 said:
i had the same problem but it eventually went away on its own. if nothing else works, just push the left edge of the fuel door to get it open, should be easier than trying to pry it from the right.
If it eventually went away, and futurex is having the same problem, maybe everything just needs to be lubed up a bit. Try spraying a silicone spray on the hinges and any moving part of the fuel door that you can find and see if that helps.

·
P*mp!
1,252 Posts
yep, its pretty annoying, mine has been doing that for the past 4 yr's ive owned the vehicle, tell you the truth, it dosent even bother me anymore,.....when I pull up to gas, I usually just stick the key under the lever so its laying horizontal pushing into the carpet, then go open the fuel door, I never really have to use much effort, i've gotten so used to it that when i'm driving another car I do the same thing, lol, people look @ me like im wierd,...but hey im pretty sure there is a simple fix, and if you find it,.....let me know,.... :-D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Fuel Door

I believe there is a spring or thin metal strip that "POPS" the door open. Look around the hinges. If so, bend it out a little and spray some WD40 on the hinges. I had this problem a few years ago and fixed it. I'll check it out tonight.

:2cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
In addition to lubing, take a look at the spring that sits just in front (to the right) of the hinge. This is what pops the door open - check for damage, and apply a little grease to the area so the spring moves freely.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. It's the spring- in front of the hinge, it's missing. I compared to my 94GS Sedan to verify.

Tomorrow when I go buy a front plate bracket, i'll see if they'll see me just a hinge, maybe I should take a pic so they know what i'm talking about.

·
I like shiny
14,385 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Thanks guys. It's the spring- in front of the hinge, it's missing. I compared to my 94GS Sedan to verify.

Tomorrow when I go buy a front plate bracket, i'll see if they'll see me just a hinge, maybe I should take a pic so they know what i'm talking about.
:werd: Take a pic. Dealerships are full of dorks. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
yah i was going to say check the springs and make sure the hinge isnt clogged and hard to open for lube theres some real good hi quality penetrants i use TRI flow real really good i use it for my 85 corolla gts alot... so you know it works if it works on the rusty rear end bolts it should work for the hinges too but mainly its the spring

·
Registered
120 Posts
Several months back, I noticed that the fuel door would stick, but if I pulled the release lever a few times it would eventually open. Well one night this past August I was on a lonely dark road in the middle of almost nowhere and running dangerously low on fuel. I made it to a Mobile station and couldnt get the door open at all. Of course with it being after 11 pm, dark as hell, and maybe me being Black, there was no way the attendant was coming out to assist me. I tried to jury rig the lever to stay in the open position with a screwdriver while I tried to pull the door open, but that didnt work. Eventually a lady pulled in for cigs and she agreed to hold the lever while I pulled the door open. That worked and I realized that somehow the metal "catch" had bent back to far and there was almost no room for the "release mechanism to clear it". I just bent it and it's worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Black 91 LS Coupe said:
I believe there is a spring or thin metal strip that "POPS" the door open. Look around the hinges. If so, bend it out a little and spray some WD40 on the hinges. I had this problem a few years ago and fixed it. I'll check it out tonight.

What he said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.