Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better Techron Fuel Cleaner by Chevron or BG 44K? I've heard that Techron is better, but also remember that BG 44k is recommended here on the Forums.

Also, can Honda Top Engine Cleaner be a DIY job or does it need to be done at Dealer? Reason I ask is because I heard that the stuff is really strong and if you take one sniff of the fumes that you feel like passing out! :eek:

Something included in the Fuel System Service is called MOC. It is injected through the intake vacuum line and the dealer uses a special tool, which they do not sell. Is this something that should be left to the dealer or can it be a DIY job? Dealer told me that MOC kit is only sold to the dealerships.

Is there a better solution to get the system cleaned rather than going to the dealer?

Thanks for the help fellas,

Gil.

G

·
Hmmm, how often should you use that BG44k stuff. I don't think that it has ever been done to my car. After you use it, do you just need to change your oil? Is that all that is involved. I'm thinking about doing this soon cause I'm not sure that it has ever been done to my car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Gil,

Your comparing apples to oranges. Every mechanic or dealer will tell you BG Products are the best professionals product avail. Techron is a good over the counter product, think of BG 44K as the prescription medication.

"The active ingredient in 44K is the very same that is found in Chevron's Techron fuel system additive. In fact, BG is the manufacturer of the ingredient and sells it to Chevron for use in Techron. The actual amount of the ingredient (which name slips my memory at the moment) in Techron is 4%, with other 'filler' stuff mixed in. BG 44K is 100% of the active ingredient; so, in theory you would want to use the BG 44K if you want the best results for the money invested."

http://www.nsxhelp.com/faq/FuelAdditives.htm

Top engine cleaning must be done by using a pressurized machine. DIY? Yes. if you have the equipement or else you will need to pay someone. I would first try a can of BG 44K and some throttle body cleaner/toothbrush. If your idle is still fluctating or your car is running sluggish then I would bring it in.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I have been using Techron. Never thought about BG-44K, but will look for and try if found. For the best top end cleaning, 3M has a kit and you need to purchase an adapter. Kit connects to the fuel rail and the engine is run off of the can (20min) until the can is empty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts