Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem. Every morning I go to work, I start up my car and let it idle for about 5 - 10 minutes. All most all driving is on the highway at about 60 mph. For the first 5 minutes on highway my steeringwheel has a shimmy, then it goes away once the car is completly warmed up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Alright, jmckell, just got off the phone with my friend who has 22 years as an Acura Mechanic.

He said, "provided the wheels have been balanced and the cords are not torn within the tire (making it out of balance) and without pressure applied to the braking system, and you notice a variable wheel shimmy that occurs side to side or front to back whether constant, intermittent or timed - that diminishes or disappears when warmed, I would look into the INNER JOINT OF THE AXLE." The only true way to acurately diagnose (other than removing possible causes such as a out of balance tire) this problem is to remove the hub unit, then the axle, and inspect for worn metal and possible rust. Off the top of his head, Acura charges $800.00 to replace both inner joints along with the hubs which would be done at that time.

Whew - I was typing the while talking to him so I hope it all makes sense.

KNLNGUS.

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have new tires on the front and I had the inner tie rods replaced last week. I don't think that it is the tires unless I got a bad one.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Does it only occur when its cold out (During winter)? Could be that your tires develop a flat spot over night from sitting and as it warms up it dissappears. This occurs in some tires (ie. Dunlop D40M2)

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good point MC_ I have not noticed since it has been cold here and the only warm days we have had, my car was getting work done on it then.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey mines does the same thing, but as MC said I didn't start noticing it until it got cold...So is it ok or are my tires kinda crappy...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Stiffer tires are more prone in the cold to develop flat spots. Once the tire warms up you should be fine :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts