Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that taking the catalytic convertor off will gain a few hp, but it will loose torque. SOmeone told me that there is a pipe before the cat, and that by replacing that, you will pick up more horsepower. I think it is called the "premuffler", anyone have any ideas??????

·
Registered
217 Posts
lol... a cop would be like WTH and get so pissed if he saw that...

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
It has been proven time and again that modern cats do not restrict exhaust flow if in good condition. If fact SCC, did a test and LOST power putting a straight pipe in.

It's only the old style "pellet" cats that were restricitive. The modern honeycomb style are fine as is. I've heard of people who opened their exhaust for other reasons and found the cat 20% melted and hadn't noticed a performance loss.

Keep the air clean as you can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If taking off a cat does not pick up any performance, then what is the point of purchasing a high-flow cat for our cars???

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Not much really unless you're running boosted or NOSed. If you get some headers and need to redo the entire exhaust you might as well get a high flow while you're at it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about the piece before the cat, that connects it to the heads, is there any performance in switching that??

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
are you talking about the flexpipe? cus the headers are what attached to the heads & there isnt anyone who makes headers for the G1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, the flexpipe, that is the piece that connects the cat to the headers. Is there any material inside the flexpipe that would restrict the exhaust flow??????

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is nothing inside the flexpipe-aka.(frontpipe) that restricts flow. At the time i had my exhaust down i didnt have access to any pipe bending machine,or a local shop to help me out,but i noticed this hunk of half burned mass inside the converter and the county had no emissions testing.(so i gutted it) my throttle response got alot better exspecially on the highway. I wonder if the size of the chamber but still hollowed out,creates a backpressure and then in effect it dont rob you of torque ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts