Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a factory G1 cd player, if so, how can I get my hands on one?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Yep

There is, my car came with one when I bought it @ a used car dealership.

It is placed where the Lighter and coin thing are (The lighter is then moved next to the handbrake).... The CD PLAYER hooks right up to the Head Unit (I have the non-bose edition)... when you insert a CD the read out on the Stereo says "CD". Volume control is operational as normal...

The CD player is black, it says "ACURA" right on it. I have no clue where you can get one. It doesn't skip much unless you hit a very bad bump, which suprises me for something that probably is quite old. Plays CD-Rs too.

I have NO clue where you can't get one though...

When I get a hold of a Camera someday, I'll be sure to take a snapshot of it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot man! i really dont need one, but if I saw one I would buy it. Im retarded like that. I just bought a JVC kameleon deck, It just looked pretty cool I guess.

·
Registered
541 Posts
hey future! when you can, hook me up with some pics of the cd player. Ive posted this a while back, and peeps told me to check da junk yards..but acuras last so long i never see any there. So since its placed in the ashtray part, the cd player is right under your AM/FM/cassette player? Is your radio the bigger version with the Equalizer? Asking because i really want a CD player w/o the hassle of ripping out da whole interior of the car just to put in a trunk CD changer. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Yep, mine is the bigger version with the EQ, and the EQ functions with the CD Player as well. The CD Player is right under the rest. I have also not seen any Legends in the junkyards, I'm thinking that they haul them off to special places and strip 'em, then sell the parts used.

I'll try to get pictures, but it's not easy without a digital camera :(

I haven't even taken pictures of my cars yet!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me know what parts you guys need. i know of at least 6 legends from 1986 to 1990 in the "salvage" yards around here in Milwaukee. The guys hate when people call them junk yards, they always ask we call them salvage yards instead, go figure.:) Anyway, maybe I can find you guys some parts you might be looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My CD player in my G1 legend does not work, mine came with the "Acura" CD player, but it accepts the CD, reads it, then ejects it. What about that? Your lucky yours still works.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Yngwie said:
My CD player in my G1 legend does not work, mine came with the "Acura" CD player, but it accepts the CD, reads it, then ejects it. What about that? Your lucky yours still works.
The CD player originally offered in G1 Legends had lots of problems. I just installed an indash Acura OEM CD Player about 7 months ago. The dealer had originally given me one ( product code ) for a G1 Legend from 86-90 that had been remanufactured. I installed it and it didn't function as you describe. For the first 13 years I owned the car I didn't have one at all. The dealer was embarrassed and gave me one for a G2 Legend...and it fit right into the same slot perfectly and worked with my G1 Bose radio ( as I have an LS ). The only difference is that the LED is grey for the G2 player....the rest of the interior lights for a G1 Legend are green. So....you can get a new one for a G2 that'll work in a G1 Legend. Good luck ! John

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
KAHruzer said:
Better yet, here's the original source link for the G1 CD Player link:

http://www.willmanselectronics.com/images/CD2009AR.jpg

Also, these guys can fix your broken units, and the Bose system speakers as well.
See: http://www.willmanselectronics.com/acura.htm

BTW, on Bose systems, this would fit in the slot above the lighter & ashtray, replacing the cassette storage unit.
KAHruzer;
The top image is for a non BOSE system like FUTURE X mentioned? The fascia has different locations for the cig lighter, etc?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Actually....the player was CD2008 that was originally offered for the Legend. As in prior posts a G2 CD player will work with a G1 Bose radio..as I have a '90 LS. The model # I have is CD2102AR.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
I dunno. Were the CD units different for Bose vs non-Bose? I just presumed they'd be the same. But, it's good to know the G2 units work with the Bose head unit. That's probably what I'll end up doing, unless I just happen upon one of the originals.

5Speed, the cig lighter and ashtray fascia is modular. But, think it either a there or not there option only. I think it has to fit into the bottom bay of the console, if there.

The Bose systems use only one bay while non-Bose with the equalizer requires two bays. Adding a CD unit in non-Bose requires use of the cig lighter/ashtray location.

I've never seen the cig lighter and ashtray moved to another location. Was that the front or back side of the center box where it moved to?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
On the LS model.....the CD player goes into the slot where the cassette tape storage drawer is....so the cigarette lighter and ash tray do not have to be moved.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
KAHruzer;
I based my question on what FutureX 2001 stated in his post. He has a non-BOSE radio with the equalizer as I do in my L coupe. He mentioned something about the cigarette lighter, etc. being in a different location. I had never heard anyone mention a factory, non-BOSE CD player in a 1st Generation Legend.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
ND1980LS;
Your factory CD player didn't work since you bought the car new? Why didn't you demand to have it replaced?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
5speed said:
ND1980LS;
Your factory CD player didn't work since you bought the car new? Why didn't you demand to have it replaced?
I originally bought my car without the CD option. I waited for years to put one in and finally did about a year and a half ago. I didn't want to pay the dealer $ 800 for a single in-dash CD player. Finally, after bugging my dealer for a few years he agreed to sell me a remanufactured unit for $ 300. In order to install it you have to remove the cassette storage unit, grind down some the plastic per the instructions BUT....you needed an " Acura Installation Kit " and " Bracket Kit ". I found the bracket kit at a dealer in Utah...and bought the inatallation kit from " Willmans "....who as a lot of people know....repairs the Bose systems. The installation kit is a " Y Plug " that connects to the stock power and speaker plug in the car and plugs into the back of the radio & player. When I plugged in the player...it wouldn't read the CD....so the dealer exchanged the CD2008 for a CD2102 ( which was for a '92 LS )...and it works perfectly. Don't let anyone tell you that a G2 player won't work with a G1... I'm proof that it is compatable!!!!! :):):)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts